Something that bugs me watching car comercials - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
John32070
ROC Rank: Senior
2010 RTS
White / Beige

Send a message via Skype™ to John32070
Exclamation Something that bugs me watching car comercials

I know why they do it, but it just always bugs me to see the fine print on auto comercials where you see "professional driver on a closed coarse, do not attempt" and so forth. When I see that I feel like yelling "DUUHHH" to the tv. As said, I know they do it to cover themselves from a legal standpoint so in case someone decides to do a Dukes of Hazzard maneuver with a new car like some ads show, they won't come back to the automaker saying they showed the vehicle doing it in the ad so why couldn't they do it themselves instead of destroying the vechicle and/or becoming badly injured (or worse) in doing so.
John32070 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Something that bugs me watching car comercials

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32070 View Post
I know why they do it, but it just always bugs me to see the fine print on auto comercials where you see "professional driver on a closed coarse, do not attempt" and so forth. When I see that I feel like yelling "DUUHHH" to the tv. As said, I know they do it to cover themselves from a legal standpoint so in case someone decides to do a Dukes of Hazzard maneuver with a new car like some ads show, they won't come back to the automaker saying they showed the vehicle doing it in the ad so why couldn't they do it themselves instead of destroying the vechicle and/or becoming badly injured (or worse) in doing so.

Same reason they put warning labels on weapons and ammunition. Dimwits are everywhere and there less chances allowed for removing them from the gene pool.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
tlm911
ROC Rank: Freshman
2010 RTL
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32070 View Post
I can understand the warning when a Dukes of Hazard event is depicted but often it is just someone backing out of their driveway or driving down a street doing nothing illegal or dangerous. I wonder why I shouldn't be attempting things that I attempt and succeed at everyday. Should I be hiring a professional driver to park my car?
tlm911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Oddjob
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2009 RTL
Bali Blue Pearl

How many times have you seen someone parallel park their vehicle by a boot leg highspeed turn? Would you even if you were a stunt driver do such a manuver? And how are you going to get it out? LOL
2006 & 09 RTL w/o Nav. Motto: "Be not drunk with wine." EPH5:18 As I spent 10years in a BATU.
RETIRED March 2011
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
John32070
2010 RTS
White / Beige

Send a message via Skype™ to John32070
Cool Re: Something that bugs me watching car comercials

While I'd never do it on purpose, I'm glad that video was posted on YouTube of what happens when your Ridgleine goes airborne, even for a half-second.

If you want to show someone younger who thinks jumping a vehicle would be cool, show them the end credits of the Dukes of Hazzard movie where they show the attempts and results of getting the Atlanta freeway jump filmed.
John32070 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
larryr
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

What I see in every Car Commercial - especially the MPG part

The 199 fill ups on my 2009 Ridgeline - I just had 8 wonderful years in the Ridgeline but the Electronics are too many generations behind.

larryr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

I don't like the direction advertising is going either. Very few ads do little to tell you about the product, why you should buy that product, and why that product is better than competing product.

Specifically to the point of the OP... and advertisement should demonstrate the benefits and features of the product. A movie is fantasy and there is no expectation that a product can actually do what they show in a movie. In advertisements the product should actually be capable of performing the actions depicted. That's why I want to go buy a Toyota Tundra... I may have to tow a space shuttle.

In the auto industry there is EXTREME pressure on designers and engineers to develop a vehicle that is "best in class". So if they succeed they make a car that is faster, more comfortable, has more features, and gets better MPG than the other vehicles in the class. Success... but then when they market that vehicle they just play some music and show people having a good time... nothing about why that vehicle is better than others.

I don't want to rehash the Ridgeline ads, but there was one that played music, showed a Ridgeline on a dirt road, and simply said "Ridgeline". I'm not sure why that would cause anyone to go look at a Ridgeline (and obviously they didn't).

The purpose of advertising seems to have lost direction. The advertisements seem to be aimed at idiots. On second thought maybe it's me that is wrong, and they do actually reach the majority.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Exactly the same reason as why they have to put, "Do Not Use in the Shower" warning labels on hair dryers...a lot of stupid people out there. Like my old man used to say, "Common sense is not all that common...". That's why most movies are aimed at 6th grade or lower intelligence. That's why a lot of peole quit watching "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader"...because they realized they aren't.

Oh, and congrats on your 5001 post there cismo. You're like me...you need to get a life...

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
K-Dog7469
2007 RTS
Alabaster Silver Metallic

blame the lawyers.

ASE master collision repair certified.
I-CAR Platinum structural certified.
K-Dog7469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog7469 View Post
blame the lawyers.
Not only the lawyers, but society as well. Sue happy. If you see something on TV and try it and it goes wrong, you could sue someone I'm sure.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.