New Owner !!! - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > First Generation (2006-present)

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
S1njin
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White/Grey

New Owner !!!

Hey Gang,

I am a proud new owner of a 2012 Ridgeline RTS in Taffeta White !!!

I went round and round between a Tacoma Double Cab, a Pilot, and even a RAV4. For me, the needs were:

A. Reliability
B. Ability to put bulky/messy items in the vehicle (I maintain 2 homes/properties)
C. Good sloppy weather ability
D. Family friendly (married w/ 2 little girls)

I found this truck fits everything I was looking for like a glove; almost like they designed it for somebody like me.

I was hesitant to buy as I know its due for a redesign, but finding a leftover 2012 w/ 1.9% financing was just too hard to ignore !!

One thing I found odd though is the whole Maintenance Minder thing. I can't seem to find a chart that breaks down what maintenance is needed when - seems the computer will spit out codes to tell me when things are due?
S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Rockwood
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Billet Silver / Gray

Yup that's that the MM does.
Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Re: New Owner !!!

Welcome to the club...

Yes that is the Maintenance Minder system and it works great. There are memebers on here that have well over 100,000 and follow the MM. There are a few with over 200,000 miles as well and two that I know of with over 300,000 miles.

I'm sure when a few others log on they will post the sever service sticky and all that goes with that. It should be in your owners manual as well.

Bottom line is if you aren't in the sever service catagory, just follow the MM and you will be fine. Ignore the old 3,000 or 5,000 mile oil changes, do it when the truck tells you to. I get 10,000 miles on my oil changes.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
S1njin
White/Grey

So this truck doesn't have that 'break-in period' for the oil where I have to dump it out early?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin
So this truck doesn't have that 'break-in period' for the oil where I have to dump it out early?
Nope. Keep the factory oil in until you get the alert to change it. The alert will come up when you have 15% oil life remaining. Bear in mind that 15% means about 1000 miles of around town driving for me. For others, it may be more or less. Bottom line, at the 15% alert, you will have ample time to plan for your maintenance. My initial response to the 15% alert was to change the oil right away as I was anxious to get the factory oil out and put in my preferred synthetic oil. Knowing what I know now, I would do as I currently do and leave it in until the 5% to 0% alert pops up.

While the factory oil isn't special, per se, it does have a heavy concentration of molybdenum (from the factory assembly process) that is considered healthy for the break-in period of your RL.

For a brief overview of the MM system, here's a link:
http://www.rbhonda.com/maintenance-minder-system.htm

Briefly, the MM system groups all your maintenance around oil change intervals (OCIs). That way you don't have to make multiple trips to the shop (in case you don't DIY like many of us do here).

For instance, the first rear diff fluid change is due by 15k miles. If your normal driving routine is such that you get 6500 mile OCIs, you'll get the alert for the rear diff (-6 MM code) at the 15% call prior to 13,000 miles, probably around the 12k mile mark. If you let it run to 0% before you change, you'll hit 13,000 miles, if you see what I mean. Note.. this would be your 2nd oil change, assuming your first alert was around 5500 miles and you let it run to 0% and then did the oil change at 6500-ish miles.

Personally, I aim for the 5% to 0% MM alert before I do the upcoming maintenance. It's no big deal if you go past it a little ways.

Note that if you change oil before you get the 15% alert, you won't be notified of associated maintenance that tags along with that OCI unless you (or your shop) happen to notice the additional codes when you reset the OLI (oil life indicator - MM for short) after completing the service. And you won't get any reminders until the next time that service is due because the system thinks you completed the service when you reset the MM. The moral of the story is that if you do early oil changes (before the 15% alert), make sure you note any associated codes that are associated with that oil change and perform that maintenance too.

There are maintenance schedules posted here at the ROC which approximate the MM. The main difference is that the schedule will have some services performed early. Which is not a bad thing for your RL.

A personal thing for me is that I believe in early (and frequent) tranny fluid changes due to the design of the Honda automatic tranny. So I shoot for tranny fluid changes about every other oil change.

I believe that fresh fluids are the lifeblood of a vehicle, assuming you wish to keep it for the long haul as I do.

If you are a DIY guy, you will enjoy doing the routine servicing on the RL. Everything but a brake job can be done with the RL sitting on the ground... unless you are a really big dude.

You will also save big bucks doing the work yourself. For instance, I can do a B136 service (synthetic oil and a quality filter, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, transfer assembly fluid, air and cabin filters, etc.) for about $125 in OEM fluids and filters. The same work at the dealer runs about $500 locally... and that's with dino oil.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 11-19-2012 at 07:35 AM.
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Oddjob
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2009 RTL
Bali Blue Pearl

S1njin welcome to the ROC. You have a great attitude, that will get you plenty of years of satisfaction from your RL.
If and when possible follow the MM. Most important is to allow it to get down to 05%. I know it will be a PIA to keep clearing it from the display, but some codes will not display till it get to that %. Another important thing is to keep an eye on all your fluid levels during your driving and enjoyment of your RL.
I am not saying there is a problem, but it is just wise to do so with any vehicle you drive.
Break in period has now been designed to go with the MM.
Are you going to do the maintenance yourself or allow the dealer to do it?
Lastly read, read, and read this forum. You will greatful for the education and laughs while reading.
Speed and I were typing (posting) at the same time. Hence the duplication. (added)
2006 & 09 RTL w/o Nav. Motto: "Be not drunk with wine." EPH5:18 As I spent 10years in a BATU.
RETIRED March 2011

Last edited by Oddjob; 11-19-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
S1njin
White/Grey

Thanks for the tips. My dealership gives lifetime oil/filter changes and 24 point inspections for free; so I'll be using them for that. I'm house-handy but not car-handy, so I'm going to be taking it up the ol' keester for the other fluid changes.

Really looking forward to getting to know my truck.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

If you're house handy, you'll be fine doing the routine servicing on your RL.

Just sayin'.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
mpup10
2009 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Thumbs up Re: New Owner !!!

Congrats! I'm on my 2nd Ridgeline and I've owned 50 cars and trucks in 45 years of driving and until the Ridgeline, I've never owned 2 of the same vehicle. The Ridgelines have been pretty impressive.
mpup10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
FLA-Vyk
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2011 RTL
Mocha Metallic

Congrats and welcome to ROC. The Ridgeline is a great vehicle. I hope you will enjoy yours as much as I have; I am on #3.
2011-Ridgeline RTL-Mocha, RETRAX Tonneau Cover, side boards, moon roof wind screen, window drip shields, roof rack, front-rear chrome trim kit, mud flaps, chrome mirror-door handles, and flip extender
1997-Jaguar XK8 Coupe, Red
1992-Jaguar XJS-V12, Diamond Blue
1972-Dodge Ram V8 pickup
1971-Triump TR-6, Dark Green
SOLD 2008-Honda-S2K-CR (#367 of 699), Apex Blue
SOLD 2009-Jaguar-XF, Azure Blue
FLA-Vyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > First Generation (2006-present)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.