EPA shutting down many performance chips - Page 5 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #41
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Re: EPA shutting down many performance chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgelineSport View Post
The problem is if we don't control ourselves and keep the boundaries within the measure of reasonableness, then we get regulation forced down our throats:

If you live or drive in/thru NY, here are 2 legislative items that went into effect this past May:

NY Vehicle Traffic Law Article 375 (equipment) amendments:

-Tinted light transparency window inspection being added to annual NY safety inspection;
-Brush guards, bumper extensions, hitch gear not in active use of towing that exceed past factory bumpers prohibited must be removed from the receiver. Exception: (Snow plow/sanding equipment from Oct 15. 1st to April 1st. excluded)

I looked up the lighting section of article 375, and the provision for a summons is already on the books. It basically says any headlights or auxiliary lighting that are deemed as "dazzling" or creates excessive glare, or misalignment is in violation of the subsection of Article 375. So it sounds like it's a discretionary issue for police to enforce if they choose to write the summons under that section should they find your HID's to be "dazzling".
Georgia's window tint law is, and I forget the %'s, even if you are just driving through the state is a reason to be pulled over and fined for being in violation.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #42
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf3000 View Post
I didn't say it gave anyone the right, we were talking about the apparent danger with these illegal headlights and the witch hunt that you have for HID lights.

Is that not what you were trying to use as the reason for why people should not modify their ridgeline with them? Or is it really just because you don't like them?

It isn't twisted logic, it is showing you how much of a hypocrite you are being by trying to stand behind them being dangerous as the premise for not using them. Driving over the speed limit is easily more dangerous to those around you than HIDs will ever be and yet you do it, we all do.

I'm not advocating the use of HIDs, but I'm also not so close minded that I have a witch hunt and look up members local laws to prove them wrong. We get it, you don't like them. Just state that and be done with it instead of acting like a martyr.
I would love to have HID headlamps on the Ridgeline... but I also want it done properly and legally. So the fact is that I can't have them because the above is impossible under current US rules and regulations. Those are facts I have to accept.

If the next generation Ridgeline has HID headlamps as an option I would pay extra to get them.

I am NOT against HID headlamps. I think there are already a couple of technologies that will bypass HID systems but that's a different discussion.

My problem is not with HIDs, my problem is with people that think they are above the law and install HID kits that are illegal. Then these same people who either desire more light or just a cool look what us to believe they are objective and are able to aim headlamps when no standards or guidelines exist.

The problem is not the technology, it's the people.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #43
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimo View Post
I just got word that the EPA has started cracking down on tuners and aftermarket performance chip companies. They're sending out quite a few Cease and Desist letters. I think we'll see several of these companies go away quickly.
For those who took my above post to believe that I am against performance chips I would ask that they read my post again. I offered no opinion on the matter... just that EPA is starting a campaign.

For the record I have used performance chips or tuners several times... on just about every diesel powered vehicle I've owned. I don't think I've ever used one on a gasoline engine I've owned, but back when I worked on fuel systems at Chrysler we did a lot of 'tuning'.

The average gasoline powered engine today runs at very high power output per liter... even stock engines run at much higher output rates than full race engines of not too long ago. Many of the chips and tuners sacrifice normal driving performance in favor of peak horsepower... a trade-off I'm personally not interested in.

And with all of that said I still didn't say I am for or against the actions by EPA. I will say that I think there are plenty of outright scams out there that EPA should concentrate on first.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
MaDoGreg
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Send a message via Skype™ to MaDoGreg

...not sure, but it's sure pretty !
MaDoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #45
kermit777
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 *Not a Ridgeline owner
Billet Silver / Gray

Would Bedazzling my headlights with a BeDazzler get me pulled over? The crystals and rhinestones might refract the light and turn my stock lights into HID? I like this Louisville slugger remedy mentioned. Does it come in a rearward deployable model triggered by steering wheel controls? I don't mind HID but cheap knock-offs that jiggle from loose bolts and f*&k my night vision due to misaligned mounting and poor focus irritate me. Knock off products suck (think iPad VS a Craig Android Tablet bought at a chain drug store). The term HID gets people all wet & hot. I have no point to make, I just felt like rambling. ramble ramble, rubble rubble
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #46
B43
Banned
2006 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I hate the HID headlight's on our other car. Both burnt out within 3 yrs and each cost $200 to replace.

I hope to never buy another car with those suckers. And since I want another Ridgeline, I hope they don't put them in.
B43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.