VTM-4 Fluid Change - Page 25 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #241
mtb
ROC Rank: Junior
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Re: VTM-4 Fluid Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Maybe we need a thread on BG lubes.

Or not. At least not until Honda offers up a statement as to warranty coverage using BG lubes in lieu of VTM-4 fluid or DW-1 tranny fluid.

I wouldn't mind learning more about them and why they would be used instead of the Honda product. But no way would I consider them without Honda defining the warranty issue. I do not care to dive into the legal cesspool of 3rd party warranty coverages.

Some Honda Dealers offer BG stuff... (found the name of my dealer on BG list).
Also this dealer offers Oil change- filter at $20... I bet it is not Honda Oil nor any 0W-20... so he is definitely out of the picture for me.

mtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #242
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

FWIW, there is no Honda oil. At some point in the past, it was re-branded Mobil non-synthetic oil.
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/348560-post8.html

For routine changes in the shop, I'm sure the dealers buy in bulk whatever meets the spec when they're buying.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #243
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

BG is over-priced as are several other exotic brands of motor oil and most brand name motor oils are good enough, some even overkill for likely 99% of the cars/trucks out there.

Grearbox lubes on the other hand are not quite as common, there is a fair amount of variation between automakers, and they are not serviced as often. I guess some case could be made for superior lubes, but most of our knowledge of them is based on hype. Not to say there is not some truth in what they say, but without conclusive and extensive test results not many folks are going to spend more hard-earned dollars to find out.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #244
mtb
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
FWIW, there is no Honda oil...
Correct....I meant to say it is no 0W-20 at that price including a Filter ($20); even buying in bulk... I haven't seen any 0W-20 oil for less than $6 a quart.
mtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #245
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I don't remember the WalMart pricing on the 5 qt jugs of Mobil1 0w-20. But somewhere here I posted some pics of prices in the $25 range for Mobil 1 5w-20 5 quart jugs. That's $5/qt. But the individual qt bottles are higher.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #246
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Depends on the 'grade' as well as the viscosity with regards to M1. Walmart has the more expensive extended performance M1 (gold label) for only $2 more the regular M1 5 20 the last time I bought. Pretty good against most chain auto parts stores that run easily run $30-34.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #247
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Yes. Now that WM has M1EP 5w-20 in 5 qt containers, that is what I buy. I think they're about $3 more than straight M1... ~$28 instead of $25.

I'll have to check the price on 0w-20 next time I pass that way.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #248
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Did my first VTM-4 fluid change today. Well, not the first the truck has had...just the first one I did myself. I can only say one thing...I don't know WTF I didn't do this myself every since I have owned the truck...it is sooo easy. I usually had my dealership do it and they charged waaaaaaaaaaay too much for a 20 minute job.

The hardest part of this job was breaking the fill/drain plugs free. Once I got them opened, the rest of the job...getting the fluid in...and putting the fill plug back in...8-10 minutes...tops. It took more time to put the old fluid in a jug for recycling and put my tools away than to do this fluid change.

Never again...will I have the dealership do this change for me and charge me...what...?....$75 freaking dollars...or whatever it is they charge!

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #249
hopingforahonda
2009 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Yes - I'm looking at the receipt and would gladly post a copy of it.

CUSTOMER REQUESTS BG REAR DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE
TECH COMPLETED BG REAR DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE

I also watched them do the service although I could have sworn he used Valvoline Syn by what I saw from 20 feet away.

Regards,
Richard
First of all, Honda doesn't recommend using any additives...

So, the fact that a Honda dealer used an additive in the rear diff. is strike one!

And since they used the wrong rear diff. fluid and not the Honda brand, is strike two!

And they offered you some silly 3rd party Rear diff. warranty is strike 3!(Good Luck getting them to pay for your rear diff. if it breaks) Kinda reminds me of those Oil warranties...good luck making a claim.

I have said this before, why is it so hard to use what Honda(not the dealers) tells you?

I've read on this forum where people use anything from, the wrong weight oils, wrong rear Diff. fluid, wrong tranny fluid, wrong recommended tire pressure to SeaFoam.

So, why would anyone think they know better and use these products not endorsed by the experts(Honda)? I'll never know.

This is exactly why I don't like buying used vehicles, you never know what some moron might have dumped in it!

And that could very well be a Honda Dealer.

Last edited by hopingforahonda; 05-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.
hopingforahonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #250
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

I haven't kept up with this thread, but if someone used 75w140 fluid in the VTM-4 unit the VTM-4 unit is ruined would have to be replaced to regain functionality. 75w140 is about as far away from VTM-4 fluid as pancake syrup is from motor oil.

The problem with such things is there's no direct indication that the unit no longer functions. He's just driving a front wheel drive only Ridgeline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.