Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future. - Page 36 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #351
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

Same here bluewater1.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #352
DogOnBoard
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

I can't imagine Honda downsizing the RL. Subaru's latest experiment with a compact sport truck -- the Baja -- ended with poor sales and it seems unlikely they even recovered their development costs for the vehicle. It might have been too small and too car-like for the niche market of small truck buyers that still exists out there. Neverless, that maket is apparently not big enough to interest the major carmakers. Maybe Scion will pull it off.

Regardless, the new RL will surely be based on a shared platform with the Pilot. That's just the new economic reality of a competitive global market: build vehicles from a limited number of versatile, well-tested platforms and stay flexible to changing demand. Conceivably, a sport truck could be designed from the CRV platform, but where's the market for it? The vast majority of Amercian truck buyers now want 5 passenger capacity and comfort, plus some towing and open hauling capability. Otherwise, they'll buy an SUV or CUV.

With all the new technology and the ever-rising bar to meet CAFE regs, I'm hoping the new RL will get a LOT better mpg's, despite keeping similar dimensions to the current RL. I think the competition is pushing hard to increase fuel efficiency for trucks.
DogOnBoard is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #353
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogOnBoard View Post
I can't imagine Honda downsizing the RL. Subaru's latest experiment with a compact sport truck -- the Baja -- ended with poor sales and it seems unlikely they even recovered their development costs for the vehicle. It might have been too small and too car-like for the niche market of small truck buyers that still exists out there. Neverless, that maket is apparently not big enough to interest the major carmakers. Maybe Scion will pull it off.

Regardless, the new RL will surely be based on a shared platform with the Pilot. That's just the new economic reality of a competitive global market: build vehicles from a limited number of versatile, well-tested platforms and stay flexible to changing demand. Conceivably, a sport truck could be designed from the CRV platform, but where's the market for it? The vast majority of Amercian truck buyers now want 5 passenger capacity and comfort, plus some towing and open hauling capability. Otherwise, they'll buy an SUV or CUV.

With all the new technology and the ever-rising bar to meet CAFE regs, I'm hoping the new RL will get a LOT better mpg's, despite keeping similar dimensions to the current RL. I think the competition is pushing hard to increase fuel efficiency for trucks.
It wouldn't be too far-fetched to think that a smaller sport truck type vehicle could be made from the CR-V chassis. Just look at the new RDX - Honda has proven they can shoehorn a version of the 3.5 liter V6 into a CR-V-like frame. However, as was suggested, the R&D needed to produce an essentially brand new vehicle like that would be very expensive and the sales forecasts are just not there to justify such a vehicle. Now, simply taking an already great truck, adding some tweaks to an already great engine and giving it a new transmission and sheet metal??? THERE is where the cost-to-benefit ratio is. Relatively low cost to produce a vehicle that can easily sell 15-20k units per year.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #354
dboz

You guys really expect HONDA to perform physics miracles. More power (many want 300hp) and still get a LOT better MPG's?? I guess if they lose the brick that is the front end the aerodynamic advantages are obvious.

That is why I want a more chisled looking vehicle. Sleek and muscular. Not block and boring. I can even live with the size but I think a 500lbs. curb weight reduction would do wonders for the 3.5 and help MPG.s Giving up a few inches in width will not hurt anything. I guess you still need the plywood crowd to have their width though.

The BAJA is a CRUCK, not a TRUCK. I was in no way suggesting something that small. The BAJA was way too expensive.
dboz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #355
John32070
ROC Rank: Senior
2010 RTS
White / Beige

Send a message via Skype™ to John32070
Exclamation Re: Ridgeline - 2013, 14 & 15 - the future.

I looked at a Baja before the Ridgeline, but at 6' 3" I just wasn't comfy and it didn't even come with a tilt steering wheel. Back in the 90's I saw a concept El Camino that it sounded like GM was sure to be going ahead with (it was a Camaro with a bed) but it never did come. One thing I'll say about the Baja you don't see many on Carmax or any used lots and I've read where they are actually keeping their value. I still see quite a few SporTrac's on the road, I just think Ridgeline fits the bill perfect for what I was looking for. Had I been comfy in the Baja I might have actually jumped at it (I'd have sure wanted the Tubo version though), but I'm glad I didn't.
John32070 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #356
phillyguy
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboz View Post
You guys really expect HONDA to perform physics miracles. More power (many want 300hp) and still get a LOT better MPG's?? I guess if they lose the brick that is the front end the aerodynamic advantages are obvious.

That is why I want a more chisled looking vehicle. Sleek and muscular. Not block and boring. I can even live with the size but I think a 500lbs. curb weight reduction would do wonders for the 3.5 and help MPG.s Giving up a few inches in width will not hurt anything. I guess you still need the plywood crowd to have their width though.

The BAJA is a CRUCK, not a TRUCK. I was in no way suggesting something that small. The BAJA was way too expensive.
Most crossovers are appreciably smaller in all dimensions than the Ridgeline, can handle far smaller payloads, tow a lot less, and still weigh about 4K pounds. I'd be surprised if Honda could really drop the weight of the RL all that much. I'm not even sure if it would be a good idea if it would alter how it handles a payload or how it tows (don't know if it would or not, just speculating).
phillyguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #357
dboz

Yeah, 500lbs. is a lot. You are probably right about that.
dboz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #358
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I certainly wouldn't want to give up any inches in width. I would hate for the interior to be any smaller.

Edit: I knew what the mpg was when I bought the RL. I gave up mpg to have a 4 door truck. The mpg has been right where I expected it to be. I am unwilling to give up functionality for mpg, if that is my choice. Sure, I'd love to have higher mpgs. But not at the cost of sacrificing room in either the cabin or the bed. The RL carries what I need it to carry and it still fits in my garage. It does so safely and with relative efficiency.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 11-20-2012 at 04:49 AM.
speedlever is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #359
DogOnBoard
Other

Maybe, but don't discount the evolution of high strength steel, lightweight composites, new transmissions and other engine refinements. Most folks who want to see the RL get a power boost would probably settle for a more modest improvement in fuel efficiency. I'm hoping for more than that but I know it's a tall order. I'd be fine if they gave the RL an Eco button that resets the computer to maximize fuel efficiency at the expense of acceleration and power. Then when you need the power boost, just turn off the Eco mode. I guess that's kinda Ford's idea behind the EcoBoost engines, but according to Consumer Reports, there are reliability problems with some EcoBoost engines. Anything new will likely have bugs to work out.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #360
DogOnBoard
Other

I shudda quoted first. My previous post was in response to trimming 500 lbs off the RL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.