Break In Period - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 06-20-2006, 06:51 AM   #11
bigred1
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Send a message via AIM to bigred1
Re: Break In Period

I'm doing everything by the book with my Ridge. My Pilot on the other hand is a lease so i drive it pretty hard. The Ridge is a keeper the Pilot is our "touring" vehicle / family vehicle. The Ridge is our "camping" vehicle and weekend trip vehicle.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
jd144
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
White / Beige

It sure is a sign of the times that if somebody does not own something, he will treat it with disrespect. You see it with rentals, leases, etc. No respect for something that will one day belong to another.

I like my 10 day old RTL. I have already put zaino on the paint, and break it in the way I am told to by the manufacturer.

I guess I am becoming a fuddy duddy, actually taking off as one of the slow pokes from the light, and letting go of the gas as soon a I see the light has changed or is about to. People cut around me, and then end up waiting at the light, brakes worn out with poor gas mileage and increased emissions.
jd144 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2006, 05:49 AM   #13
dg8r
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd144
People cut around me, and then end up waiting at the light, brakes worn out with poor gas mileage and increased emissions.
You forgot to mention ulcers.

Go Gators!!!!!
dg8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #14
S1njin
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White/Grey

My drive to work is mostly highway. I try to keep my truck between 60 and 65 mph, but I'm worried that for the 20 mins or so I'm on the highway I can't really vary my speed more than that.

Am I doing the truck a disservice? I'm also not reving her hard at all, just light on the pedal and letting her move as she will.
S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
My drive to work is mostly highway. I try to keep my truck between 60 and 65 mph, but I'm worried that for the 20 mins or so I'm on the highway I can't really vary my speed more than that.

Am I doing the truck a disservice? I'm also not reving her hard at all, just light on the pedal and letting her move as she will.
Race engine builders will tell you to drive the snot out of the first 500 miles. I have had 3 different brand new vehicles that I drove like I would everyday and all of them had over 180,000 miles when I got ride of them. None had engine trouble.
I had a 1985 Renault Encore that I bought new in Germany. The first 250 miles were all Autobahn at over 100 mph. I had the car 13 years and 195,000 miles on it when my wife , now ex, sold it when I was in Korea. It had a 1.7lt engine and got 38 to 42 mph, in the US. I got a lot less in Germany. In the 20's.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
AG87BlkLX
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RT
Nighthawk Black / Beige

I bought my first new car in 90, Mustang LX 5.0 Notch Back. Drove it of the lot & to my local drag strip. I raced that car every Friday & Saturday night for over 4 years & 150K plus miles. A lot of it's life was spent at redline & it never failed me. I don't worry about break in period & drive like i want to. I'm not buying a truck & waiting 600 miles to pull a trailer with it. I'll buy a car if I don't need to tow.

Last edited by AG87BlkLX; 11-20-2012 at 09:11 AM.
AG87BlkLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
interpon
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

i agree with most comments here.. unless it says in owners manual.. drive it!. my RL has over 145000 and was a company car..(mine).. I beat the hell out of it and around 120000 bought it and drive much nicer!! no issues..

One note. a few years back i toured the accord plant.. i was amazed at the end of the line where they get on rollers and check final steering and light aiming.. the guy floors it and for about 20 seconds redlines it!!! each car has some slight smoke coming from engine.. it was strange.. I asked the guy there and he says it seats or prevents issues in the engine?? the other comment was Honda makes engines.. the cars are secondary..
interpon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
C25A1guy
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
White / Olive

Send a message via AIM to C25A1guy

As long as the engine is warmed up, I wouldn't really worry too much about where in the RPM band you're in. Like interpon said, at the factory on final inspection, they're hard on the engine for a few moments (after the vehicle is at temperature). It helps to seat the rings in the cylinder. For the first 500 miles on mine, I just warmed her up, and drove her like how I drive any other of my vehicles, moderate to hard. At the end of 500 miles, I would change the oil and filter and some nice Torco SR-1 went straight into the crankcase.
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL (white): AEM Brute Force Intake, Buddy Club Race Spec Condensor, Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH, DLS UP63 componets, Oz Audio 6.5" co-axel, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ subs, Lunar Amps, Boyo reverse camera
C25A1guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Good advice, warming an engine before getting on it is always important. Even on the coldest day, when I wait a minute or two at most, I still drive it easy until the gauge is at normal. The rest of the drivetrain needs to 'warm up ' also.

I take it easy the first 1000 miles or so. But I don't baby it either.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Here's a link to a controversial break-in procedure:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I just can't bring myself to do it though.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.