Running 93 octane vs 86 - Page 10 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #91
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Re: Running 93 octane vs 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
Both dealers told me to put Startron in my small engines as well, though obviously I'm not going to do that in the Truck.

I read somewhere on this forum that Gary Flint said the truck runs best on 90 octane, though for the life of me I can't find the post. Not sure if its true or not either.
Yep. As long as you use the gas that's in the truck within about 30-40 days, you don't run the risk of the fuel starting to varnish. I fill up every 8-10 days, so I've never had to worry about it.

I have also read the thread where Gary said that about 90 octane, but I couldn't find it either. There are several threads where others have alluded to this statement, so it must have been said at some point. In any case, I use 89 and will continue to do so.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #92
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
I read somewhere on this forum that Gary Flint said the truck runs best on 90 octane, though for the life of me I can't find the post. Not sure if its true or not either.
That would be me making recent postings about his past statement regarding 90 as the optimum. I also could not find the original post using Search functionality, so today I read (or at least skimmed) all 254 of his postings that were available. Many posts mentioned using premium fuel for top performance (+10HP over regular fuel, which I'll take to mean 91 versus 87), but I could not find the "90 is optimum" posting.

So, either the original post is gone or I was wrong about it (wrong poster, wrong forum, or just plain wrongity-wrong wrong).

Gary did lots of interviews that ended up in print in various publications other than here on the ROC. Maybe it's in one of them.
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #93
FTM1
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Location: Washington, DC & Southern Maryland Pax River Naval Air Station

I can't remember but I did read it but I do remember he said he used premium in his Ridgeline at the 2007 St. Louis Meet. I could not see doing it here in the city. I did notice a difference in long distance highway driving as to the way the truck drove using the premium fuel. I think I did get better gas mileage but again nothing to back it up with. But to me the truck just felt smother then normal. This was without any load on a full fill-up tank of premium on a extended highway trip. Premium fuel is no big thing to me because I have used it all the time in my 00 Acura TL that requires it.
BED EXTENDER +BODY COLORED SIDE PROTECTERS 35% Tint 2 sides OEM Hood Air Deflector/ Covercraft model UV10938 HEATSHIELD/OEM Window Visors+Moonroof Visor+ Under-Seat Storage Tray/LRV ProTecta Heavy Weight Bed Mat #LV6968 /Wet Okole Hawaii Seat Covers
Honda Ridgeline Truck Utility with Crossover DriveAbility
2000 ACURA 3.2TL Navi NighthawkBlack Ebony
FTM1/ FRED
FTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #94
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
That would be me making recent postings about his past statement regarding 90 as the optimum. I also could not find the original post using Search functionality, so today I read (or at least skimmed) all 254 of his postings that were available. Many posts mentioned using premium fuel for top performance (+10HP over regular fuel, which I'll take to mean 91 versus 87), but I could not find the "90 is optimum" posting.

So, either the original post is gone or I was wrong about it (wrong poster, wrong forum, or just plain wrongity-wrong wrong).

Gary did lots of interviews that ended up in print in various publications other than here on the ROC. Maybe it's in one of them.
I did a brief search the other day and all I could find was something that csimo stated along those lines.

Can you post up a link to one of GF's posts? I'm not sure what his user name is/was.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #95
FTM1
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Yep Cismo,25YHO & others were at that meet I think he said it in the meeting when viewing the early production Ridgeline film Q&A in the hotel meeting room. Then he said it again when everybody was hanging around on the upper level parking lot late night spot.
BED EXTENDER +BODY COLORED SIDE PROTECTERS 35% Tint 2 sides OEM Hood Air Deflector/ Covercraft model UV10938 HEATSHIELD/OEM Window Visors+Moonroof Visor+ Under-Seat Storage Tray/LRV ProTecta Heavy Weight Bed Mat #LV6968 /Wet Okole Hawaii Seat Covers
FTM1/ FRED
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #96
S1njin
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTM1 View Post
Yep Cismo,25YHO & others were at that meet I think he said it in the meeting when viewing the early production Ridgeline film Q&A in the hotel meeting room. Then he said it again when everybody was hanging around on the upper level parking lot late night spot.
If that's the case, than its 89 for me.
S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #97
FTM1
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
If that's the case, than its 89 for me.
If I remember it was when someone asked about more powerful engine or something like that.
FTM1/ FRED
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #98
Macinudo
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Here is my question. Here in Utah, our grades of fuel are 85,87,91. So would that mean that if I run 87 here, is that like running 89 or 91 at a lower elevation. (I live at about 4000ft msl).

2008 RTL
2010 Pilot Touring
Macinudo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #99
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

There's some logic there. I think picking the right fuel from the middle octane level (in your case 87) is always safe without spending more on gas than is really necessary.
The manual says 87 minimum and I believe that's meant for anywhere in the US. So it's unlikely i would ever bother with anything less than 87 no matter where I lived.
You might want to bump up to 91 if pulling a big load, etc. otherwise I'd save my money.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #100
Macinudo
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

This post is one of the most interesting I've seen in a while. I'm anxious to give the higher octanes a try.

2008 RTL
2010 Pilot Touring
Macinudo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.