Dash light bulb repair - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
DaveG55
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Dash light bulb repair

Ok, does anyone else think that $4-$5 for a single replacement dash light bulb is a bit over the top? How can Honda charge that much when you can buy LED replacements for well under 1/2 that price?
The thing is, I don't want to switch all of them over to LED. I'm perfectly content with the look of the stock dash lighting.
So, after some searching I found a reference here on ROC that a Radio Shack bulb can be made to work. I did not see a how-to so I thought I'd write one up.

The bulb you need is Radio Shack #7219 micro lamp, 12V, .6ma, wire base. They come in a 2 pack for $1.99.
The actual procedure is much like the mini Christmas tree light replacement.

Unbend the wires on the existing light base, be sure to make note of how the wires are bent around the base.
Pull the old bulb out.
Insert the new bulb into the base.
Bend the wires around the base like they were on the original bulb.
Clip off the extra wire.

The new bulb is now in but, you will undoubtedly have noticed that the old bulb has a colored end on it. This colored end is actually a small rubber cap that my wife described as a bulb condom...
Anyway, that little rubber cap will easily come off and go back onto the newly installed bulb.
This whole thing takes less than 10 minutes and a total cost of about $1 and is extremely easy to do. I'm attaching some step-by-step photos in case the written directions are unclear.
Attached Images

2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
DaveG55
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Dash light bulb repair

More photos.
Attached Images

2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Dave,

Great write up. I have several burnt bulbs but have been waiting to replace them. Question: the Honda OEM part number differs for each spot on the dashboard. How does your single Radio Shack part number work with that?

Thanks!

e_piph_a_ny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
DaveG55
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

The Honda bulbs are, as near as I can tell, only different in the color of the base and the color of the rubber cap. The underlying bulb appears to me to be the same in all of the ones I have looked at so far.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Beautiful! I'm off to the nearest RS...

Googled the part number and found out (in other forums) that this bulb works for Nissan, Infiniti, VW, BMW, Audi, Chevy, GMC and Honda Accord as well.

Mods should definitely sticker this valuable post!!

Last edited by e_piph_a_ny; 11-20-2012 at 11:45 AM.
e_piph_a_ny is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
John's Ridge
ROC Rank: Junior
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Talking Re: Dash light bulb repair

Great post, thanks all!!!
John's Ridge Mods inc: Roof Rack, Black Nerf Bars, Hood Deflector, Window Visors, Access Roll Up Tonneau Cover, BedRug, John Made Trunk Cover and Dividers, ExactSeat Covers, Reciever, S5 Dude goodies (Cubby Cover, Sill Plates, Front and Rear License Holders), Scanguage, Weathertech Mats, Alpine door speakers.:
John's Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Sticky... agreed.

Good post Dave.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
roakey
2007 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Fantastic find, thank you!

It'll be interesting to see if the RS bulb lasts longer than the OEM bulbs!

Roak
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
butternut82
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTX
Billet Silver Metallic

Thanks for the write up. I just finished replacing the bulbs in my RTX. Way cheaper than paying for OEM. 16 bucks to do them all.

It seems that when the dash bulbs start going out, your battery is dying. I had about half the bulbs burn out right before my battery died. Apparently low voltage does odd things in the ridgeline.

Thanks again for the write up
butternut82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
jeb
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 LX
Formal Black

Quick question,,, is the VTM-4 Lock button supposed to light up? All my lights on my dash and all the power window buttons light up, but I have noticed that one does not.

Previous Rides:
2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.