Yet Another Radiator Corrosion Issue - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
HondaE
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Yet Another Radiator Corrosion Issue

On my way to lake cumberland in my 06 RTL and 5000 pound boat in tow my rad and trans fluid quickly mixed and left me stranded. I was left on the side of the highway watching my ridgeline get towed as my family, dog and boat had no where to go. Enterprise picked us up but it was a horrible situation. $1,200 later for parts, labor and fluid I am left with a smoked trans and a rental vehicle..... Its unfortunate Honda has not stepped up and proactively resolved this known issue.
HondaE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
buddywiser

Re: Yet Another Radiator Corrosion Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaE View Post
On my way to lake cumberland in my 06 RTL and 5000 pound boat in tow my rad and trans fluid quickly mixed and left me stranded. I was left on the side of the highway watching my ridgeline get towed as my family, dog and boat had no where to go. Enterprise picked us up but it was a horrible situation. $1,200 later for parts, labor and fluid I am left with a smoked trans and a rental vehicle..... Its unfortunate Honda has not stepped up and proactively resolved this known issue.
Welcome to the club. This is gonna get worse before it gets better. Apparently the 06's are coming due for this mess, then the 07's will start. Hope your tranny is okay. Mine was slipping really bad around 2K miles after my incident, but I did a 3x drain and fill and it stopped. I think the greaseball shop I went to put in a non-Honda fluid. He told me he needed to flush more tranny fluid than he thought. But there wasn't a Honda dealer within 60 miles and he charged me for 13 quarts of DW-1, which is one more than a case. Just seemed illogical at the time. Hope it works out for you. Very frustraiting I know.
buddywiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Yes, extremely unfortunate. I think it's going to cause a very big issue eventually for Honda if they don't step up to the plate and fix it. They may be able to squirm their way out of legal responsibility, but this would crush customer loyalty in my eyes. Using a five cent steel washer causes several thousand dollars in damage if left untreated.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
HondaE
2008 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

The trans was slipping on the way back to columbus but not enough for a dealer in Cinncinati to notice. I traded the 06 (160,000 miles) for an 08 RTL with 60k.
HondaE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

I would replace the radiator on that 08, or inspect the fittings and paint or put naval grease to keep them from rusting, otherwise you will have the same failure and you will trade it in 2 years again and those trucks the dealer got will have some issues with the transmission that other people will have to pay for if that is not taken care of before it is too late.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
gene r
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Is there a way to prevent this? My 06 has 102000 on it now
gene r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene r View Post
Is there a way to prevent this? My 06 has 102000 on it now
There has been a lot of discussion on this issue. It does appear that the washers in question could be replaced, but a suitable replacement part has not been located yet that I know of. The only other option is to replace the entire radiator as many have done - including me. I bought a Silla radiator that has brass and aluminum fittings so they will not rust. Others have purchased Koyorad or a similar brand. The radiator was $150 online and I took it to a dealership to have it installed. Total cost was a shade over $400. Pretty good insurance against a possible complete transmission failure. This isn't just limited to the RL or even just Honda, for that matter. The washers on the fittings of my old radiator were certainly rusted. They could have blown in a day or could have stayed together for several more years. I just didn't want to take the chance. I would highly suggest you follow a similar path if you plan to keep your truck for any substantial amount of time.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
feetdry
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

'Found a real radiator shop in Portland, OR that found a new radiator with brass and stainless steel washers and installed it for $275.00 out the door while I watched. 'Took him about a 1/2 hour to remove and install the new one.

He even took my out of town (Seattle) check..................
Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Here are some threads have fun and if you decide to fix it instead of replacing the whole radiator, share your experience and post pics, and where you bought the replacement washer.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...=39103&page=12

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=44590

Last edited by laserguy; 11-20-2012 at 04:13 PM.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Rockwood
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Billet Silver / Gray

Replaced mine before it failed at 115k. Cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.