Car-Speaker-Adapters.com review - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Keoni
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Car-Speaker-Adapters.com review

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I just finished a sound system upgrade and wanted to share some of my findings with everyone, particularly the speaker adapters I ended up using.

Some background on my latest project: I finally decided to upgrade my 2006 Ridgeline's sound system (after owning it for 7 years), but still wanted to retain the stock look. I ended up utilizing my stock deck, a JBL MS-8, 2x10" Kenwood subs and Kenwood 8105D mono amp, QL Logic sub box, and JBL P660C front component and P662 rear door speakers. Active crossover network via the MS-8. The system sounds great, thanks to all the tips I found here on and all the other great forums out there.

Note: Just so everyone knows, the JBL P26T tweeter, which also comes in the P660C kit that I used, fits nicely into the stock tweeter cup on our Ridgelines. See the photos in the link below to see how I installed mine. Literally a 15-minute job (had previously run the wires, which, too, was easy).

However, what I primarily wanted to share here was my take on the door speaker adapters I used for the upgrade. As I was looking for adapters, it seemed like there were basically three options: (1) Use the thin Scosche adapters, (2) cut my own from MDF, or (3) use the ones from Car-Speaker-Adapters.com. Turns out, I went with option #3 and quite frankly, LOVED 'em! They are solid, yet easy to trim for the rear doors which have some curves in the sheet metal. Nothing major-- a few quick sweeps of the dremel and BAM, you'r done. Even box cutters could cut/wittle this stuff.

Anyway, here's the link to all the photos, accompanied by captions explaining what each photo represents. I hope someone can benefit by this review!

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCV3Frw

Aloha,
Keoni
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Car-Speaker-Adapters.com review

Very impressive! Proof that a well thought out plan always works out better.
I'm contemplating a similar upgrade. About the only thing I would have added would be some sounder deadening on the inside of the outer door skin, opposite the rear of the door speakers. It's a minor quibble, you did a super job!

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!

Last edited by rollinhonda; 11-23-2012 at 11:04 AM.
rollinhonda is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
laserguy
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Other

Thanks for sharing the info about the P26T tweeters, I thought they would be big, since manufacturers not always give the whole outside diameter.

I am sure some manufacturers may have improve the ring materials and weight to reduce vibrations.

I had to shave some wood on my rings for the rears, not the fronts for some reason.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
coolbob
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2012 RTL
White/Grey

Great work, Thanks for all the photos!

2012 RTL/Navi
USA SPEC PA15-Hon2 iPod Adapter
Rear Splash Guards
Hertz D16 Dash Tweeters (used from ROC member)
JBL GT6-6 Speakers (4)
Dynamat added to doors
BedRug (floor and tailgate only)
BakFlip G2 (used from ROC member)
Weathertech Mats (front and rear)
DynoLock tailgate lock installed
Electric Pop&Lock replaced failed DynoLock
Figgs hood prop kit (NIB from ROC member)
coolbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Keoni
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I didn't put any sound deadener on the outside skin as I was concerned of any future body work that might need to be done in case of an accident or damage--you can't weld or patch with that stuff there and it would be a b**** to get off! Maybe I'll stick some on some magnetic signage material and slap it in there--better than nothing, yeah?

BTW, I recently learned that the tweeters in the JBL MS-62C component set is a hair under 1.5" in diameter naked as well, so basically the same as the ones I did. That speaker set is less efficient, though, so be aware of that. Also titanium tweets (MS-62C) vs soft dome (P660C).

I'm still working on dialing in the MS-8. Thus far, it's been a love-hate relationship to say the least! Sometimes it sounds amazing, then you play a song that you're really familiar with and it sounds funky (or at least different enough to make you say, "WTF?"

If there's enough interest, I'll post more photos of the entire project. I was going for the "stealth mode" sound system on this one, so if you're into that, this might be of interest to you.

Cheers,
Keoni
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Keoni
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Thanks for sharing the info about the P26T tweeters, I thought they would be big, since manufacturers not always give the whole outside diameter.

I am sure some manufacturers may have improve the ring materials and weight to reduce vibrations.

I had to shave some wood on my rings for the rears, not the fronts for some reason.
Right, for some strange reason, the rears need trimming and each side is different!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoni View Post
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I didn't put any sound deadener on the outside skin as I was concerned of any future body work that might need to be done in case of an accident or damage--you can't weld or patch with that stuff there and it would be a b**** to get off! Maybe I'll stick some on some magnetic signage material and slap it in there--better than nothing, yeah?

Cheers,
Keoni
Excellent point! There is some stick-on material you can use too that would peel right off. Or cutouts that could be taped, etc.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
sparky567
2007 RTL
White / Beige

I was quite impressed about the pics you took and the details in the pics.
I got almost everything you used for your install except for the high tech Heineken tool....
The only think I did not get was the clips that you used to hold the adapters in.
I can't tell from the pictures how big they are, how big is the hole in the door for the clip?(you can tell they are screw holders and not bolts) or how many you used, did you drill additional holes, can you please tell me?

So many questions....I just want to do it right!

thanks
sparky567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Keoni
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Hey Sparky567,

Sorry for the late reply. Hmm, the clips came in the box that Michael shipped me. They must sell them at any hardware store--doesn't have to be the folded clip, but just a flat "nut" to screw into. Call Michael, he'll get you those clips.

Cheers,
Keoni
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Tags
adapter , jbl , speaker , tweeter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.