08 RTL - Accident Insurance, DV and Warranty Questions - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
bluewater1
ROC Rank: Senior
2012 RT
Polished Metal Metallic

Re: 08 RTL - Accident Insurance, DV and Warranty Questions

I have seen insurance companies come in after a hurricane ( I was in the Keys thirty-five years) and total cars if they just saw that the saltwater reached the computer. I know this is a far different case, but my point is that it seems to me that the damage is at a point that a reasonable insurance company should just consider the vehicle totaled. Just the fact that you are being removed from the manufacturer's protective umbrella does it for me. I'd keep fighting, with a lawyer if necessary. The stakes are certainly high enough. I'm in your area about three years now, and I'm not as familiar with the local body shops as I'd like. I'd at least get another opinion. I feel for your predicament and I think that vehicle needs to be totaled so that you can move on with a fresh start. Keep fighting and don't let them plow you under.
bluewater1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
gnvdude
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Alabaster Silver Metallic

Smile Re: 08 RTL - Accident Insurance, DV and Warranty Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Given the other info in the thread about the welded unibody/ladder frame construction, how can the frame be straightened?

I get the impressions that some are saying a bent frame is a total loss. Not true? Or is it the engine cradle bolted to the frame that needs to be straightened/replaced?
Excellent question and I appreciate you asking it.

It is a mixed confusion message on my end.

Wondering if anyone has any insight into this ?
gnvdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #23
gnvdude
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater1 View Post
I have seen insurance companies come in after a hurricane ( I was in the Keys thirty-five years) and total cars if they just saw that the saltwater reached the computer. I know this is a far different case, but my point is that it seems to me that the damage is at a point that a reasonable insurance company should just consider the vehicle totaled. Just the fact that you are being removed from the manufacturer's protective umbrella does it for me. I'd keep fighting, with a lawyer if necessary. The stakes are certainly high enough. I'm in your area about three years now, and I'm not as familiar with the local body shops as I'd like. I'd at least get another opinion. I feel for your predicament and I think that vehicle needs to be totaled so that you can move on with a fresh start. Keep fighting and don't let them plow you under.
Yes I plan to get a second opinion. Just haven't pulled that trigger yet.
gnvdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
K-Dog7469
2007 RTS

Straightening the unibody is quite simple.
Clamp the pinch welds to the frame machine to the frame and use hydraulic rams to pull the frame into spec.
Frame part that are BENT can easily be repaired. Frame parts that are KINKED need to be replaced.
The engine cradle is NOT a part of the unibody and due to its construction for the most part can not be repaired. Unibody frame pulls are incredibly common and done correctly will not compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle.

A vehicle is considered a total loss if the cost to correctly and safely repair the vehicle meets or exceeds a percentage ( usually 60% ) its replacement value.
A flooded car will total easily due to water damage to the computers and wiring.

Warranty. Just about every shop will offer you some sort of warranty on the repair. Most will be life time. My shop is life time on all repairs, and paint. The manufacturer will carry a warranty on the parts.

Aftermarket parts.
I saw on the estimate they wrote for all OEM parts. That is great. After market ( or crash parts ) parts might initially look like OE parts but can often be far from it. Its been my experience that aftermarket parts fit can range from pretty good to simply god awful. After market parts like bumper beams should be avoided. I saw a demonstration once where a guy took a wizz-wheel to an OEM bumper beam and the wizz wheel struggled to cut the beam. Then he took the equivalent after market bean and cut it with the same wizz wheel and it cut through like a hot knife through warm butter.
Clearly not the same quality.

ASE master collision repair certified.
I-CAR Platinum structural certified.
K-Dog7469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Excellent info Kevin. Thanks for that.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #26
K-Dog7469
2007 RTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvdude View Post
Yes I plan to get a second opinion. Just haven't pulled that trigger yet.

A second opinion will not amount to much.
Much of collision repair is standard operating procedure.
You might find a diferent labor rate but for the most part that is standard.

The software used to write that estimate is the same software my shop uses. That also is standard. If you click on "replace fender " you will get the same shop times no matter what.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
Victorinox
2008 RT
White / Beige

This truck with have frame damage in vehicle history report, good luck selling it after that. total it.
Victorinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
K-Dog7469
2007 RTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorinox View Post
This truck with have frame damage in vehicle history report, good luck selling it after that. total it.
Car Fax is B.S.

Some years back we did $12,000.00 in repairs on a car. Had the engine out and every thing.
It had two upper rails replaced and one lower.
Three months after the car was completed and delivered ( it looked GREAT by the way ) we looked at Carfax and the car had a clean report.

Plus customers really cant control weather or not it totals.

A repair done correctly, will look identical to prior to the accident and will perform the same way if ever in another collision.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
Rockwood
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Billet Silver / Gray

The 60% figure is not one I ever heard during my time as an auto insurance adjuster.
Its great to see several body shop guys speaking up here. Thank you to for the appraisal and photos.
Ask the appraiser for the ACV and salvage value. Have you authorized repairs on your RL?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #30
Victorinox
2008 RT
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog7469 View Post
Car Fax is B.S.

Some years back we did $12,000.00 in repairs on a car. Had the engine out and every thing.
It had two upper rails replaced and one lower.
Three months after the car was completed and delivered ( it looked GREAT by the way ) we looked at Carfax and the car had a clean report.

Plus customers really cant control weather or not it totals.

A repair done correctly, will look identical to prior to the accident and will perform the same way if ever in another collision.

you right it is bullsh1t and incorect sometimes.
BUt, that what every customer asking for like it or not.
sometimes it takes a year accident info to get there in some cases it takes a month. I've got in accident on january 9 or this year, damage was much less then OP here, RL get repaired in 2 weeks, shop did so so repair and I decided to trade it in. on fed 7 accident pops up in carfax report and I was offered 16000 instead of 19. my own personal story.
customers can control a lot of things.
diminished value +60% of vehicle value for repair- totaled.
some additional damage can always be found, airbag sensors and controller for example.they malfunctioned this time, can you guarantee they deploy next time?
once severe damaged it's never the same, you say it is but you in repair business, you biased.
I traded mine and that make me sad, I loved this truck, now i'm waiting for a new generation RL.
Victorinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Tags
accident insurance value

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.