Colorado owners, how does the Honda do on most "off road" trails? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Activities > Off-Roading

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Colorado owners, how does the Honda do on most "off road" trails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2be View Post
snip

Finally, do a search on this forum for problems with snow building up at the base of the windshield wipers, causing the motor to overheat and fail. There's an easy fix for this which involves adjusting the "down" position of the wipers up a little bit higher so they are above the accumulating snow, not down inside of it. I did this my first winter and have not had any issues with wipers failing in heavy snow as has been reported by other owners.
Can you post a pic of where you positioned the wiper blades to alleviate this issue?

Here's a pic of the normal positioning of the blades (as they came on my RL), dead center in the heated area.
driver side:

passenger side:

Compare these to schwejo's pic from another thread and his seem much lower than mine (although I can't see his heater grid).

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 11-21-2012 at 10:11 AM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #12
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Can you post a pic of where you positioned the wiper blades to alleviate this issue?

Here's a pic of the normal positioning of the blades (as they came on my RL), dead center in the heated area:
Speed, in 2010 and 2011 we had a bit of snow here in Texas. I found my windshield wipers getting stuck after a fair bit of snow accumulated in the area between the windshield and the hood. My wipers (From the factory) were stopping at the bottom of the heated zones on both sides. I raised them to stop just above the middle on bothe sides and the issue has yet to reoccur. Yours look to be stopping just about where mine are stopping now if not just a tick lower.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Mike,

I just assumed the positioning of my wipers in the center of the heated zone was the factory setting common to all RLs. So yours came from the factory set low in the zone? I wonder if that's a common factor for those complaining about accumulated snow jamming the wipers.

I'm not sure I understand how moving the wipers up an inch or so alleviates the problem. Won't the snow just continue to stack/pack up to the bottom of the wiper sweep?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
wa2be
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RT
White / Beige

Quote:

Here's a pic of the normal positioning of the blades (as they came on my RL), dead center in the heated area:
This thread will tell you everything you need to know about the wiper issue:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=17758

You want them up as high as possible so that the blades are sitting above most of the accumulated snow when they are in the "parked" position.
Romans 6:23
wa2be is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Thanks wa2be. I've seen that thread... even participated towards the end. But I don't recall having seen a pic of the wipers repositioned for the fix... relative to my pic of the OEM wiper position posted above, where you can clearly see the heated zone and where the OEM position is relative to the heated zone.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
wa2be
2006 RT
White / Beige

Quote:
Thanks wa2be. I've seen that thread... even participated towards the end. But I don't recall having seen a pic of the wipers repositioned for the fix... relative to my pic of the OEM wiper position posted above, where you can clearly see the heated zone and where the OEM position is relative to the heated zone.
If i think of it during the Thanksgiving weekend, I will take a pic of mine and post it on here. I've been through some very heavy snowstorms and have not had any problems with the wipers. But, to be fair, I did this modification the first weekend I owned the truck so I've never driven it in heavy snow with the blades parking lower. Mine were towards the bottom of the heated zone when I purchased the truck.
Romans 6:23
wa2be is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

That would be good to see. I'd also like to see your homemade bed extender.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
packhntr
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Living in Michigan, I see all weather conditions. I got my Ridge new in '07 and that winter we had a GOOD snowstorm.....I had to go into work on a Sunday before the road trucks had been out much. Where they had gone, they had piled the snow up to 3' (feet) in intersections and such. The backroads I was on had 1.5' - 2.5' (feet) of snow. I had NO trouble getting through any of it. In fact, I was the first one to work.....my bosses had big full sizes Chevy and Ford 4X4's and were having a hard time.....they lived closer and had better roads to go on too! SNOW....teh Ridgeline is a MONSTER in the snow! Hands down the most competent vehicle I have had in the snow.
packhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
bamf3000
2010 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

So far I am very impressed with the Ridgeline in the snow. Only car I have had that was much better was the Touareg. Fulltime True 4WD, Center & Rear Locker, Air suspension to raise the ground clearance. Fantastic in the snow.
bamf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
John32070
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2010 RTS
White / Beige

Send a message via Skype™ to John32070
Exclamation Re: Colorado owners, how does the Honda do on most "off road" trails?

Ridgeline is the first vehicle I've had where I actually feel safe driving in winter conditions (I'm still nervous about the other drivers of course). Just be smart if offroading.
John32070 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Activities > Off-Roading

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.