Top Tier Gas - Who Uses / Who doesn't - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
jimfrancis
ROC Rank: Senior
2011 RTL
White/Grey

Re: Top Tier Gas - Who Uses / Who doesn't

Truthfully I'm not sure what "bad gas" would be other than water contamination, and I have seen that a few times over the years. But, again, the higher the volume sold, the less likely you will be to run into this. I would suspect that cold climates would have more problems with water condensing in storage tanks, but I'm a southern boy.
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
feetdry
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Many of the small towns here in the NW don't have "top tier" fuel. I've gassed up in a lot of small towns and have yet to have a "fuel" problem. Of course I only have fueled up several thousand times. I'll be sure to look out for that next 'Non top tier" fueling, as it might be the "bad" one.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
S1njin
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White/Grey

I guess I'm going to start filling up w/ 87 at Quick Chek from now on. 3.41 beats the pants off the 3.93 I paid for 89 at the only Shell station around me.
S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
feetdry
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

I'd guess there are several million US residents living in small towns that have no access to "top tier" fuel.

I know for many years I used fuel that was pumped out of a bulk tanker into an underground tank that we had "on the farm". I'm pretty sure it wasn't "top tier" and we pumped out a lot of it for many years and NO ill effects to our equipment.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

I know Honda still pushes the Top Tier gasoline and they're a founding member of that marketing alliance, but I think it has pretty much fallen apart.

I used to see a few advertisers mention that their fuel was "Top Tier" but I haven't even seen that in a few years. I know the two Top Tier retailers I regularly visit (Quik Trip and Phillips 66) no longer have the Top Tier stickers on their pumps.

As mentioned earlier... fresh fuel is much more important than the brand. I know Top Tier claimed to have 50% more additives but to me the fewer the better. We need to have some detergents and oxygenates but more is not necessarily better... detergents simply reduce the consumable power per gallon of fuel.

All content i publish is Copyright at the time and date published by Joe Wolf. Opinion is not subject to Copyright.
csimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
jnc2000
2010 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

Solvents and detergents should prove to be even more interesting with DI... OE's are pushing fuel cleaners (such as Techron [with PEA or like additive...] and 'Top Tier' more then ever even though they prove worthless as the fuel is injected after the intake valve - where the carbon build up would occur. I have 30K on my DI Hyundai motor, and have had a catch can on since around ~5K miles... don't know if it's saving my intake valves but time will tell as I've replaced the filter element twice so far.

Should be interesting when I pull the top half this winter (provided I get some down time)... or take it to my buddies shop and take a peek with the bore scope...

Joe - what's your take on gasoline's future with regard to OE's pushing ICE motors down the path of DI?
jnc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #17
oarnold
2009 RT
Crystal Black Pearl

J: What is a catch-can? Thanks.
oarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #18
S1njin
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimo View Post
I know Honda still pushes the Top Tier gasoline and they're a founding member of that marketing alliance, but I think it has pretty much fallen apart.

I used to see a few advertisers mention that their fuel was "Top Tier" but I haven't even seen that in a few years. I know the two Top Tier retailers I regularly visit (Quik Trip and Phillips 66) no longer have the Top Tier stickers on their pumps.

As mentioned earlier... fresh fuel is much more important than the brand. I know Top Tier claimed to have 50% more additives but to me the fewer the better. We need to have some detergents and oxygenates but more is not necessarily better... detergents simply reduce the consumable power per gallon of fuel.
Thanks a bunch !
S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
jnc2000
2010 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

An oil catch can (often called shortened and called a catch can) is certainly not necessary - but IMO just part of the routine preventative maintenance I take with all of my cars. I don't like oil in my intake manifold, nor TB... and I'll do what I can to keep the entire intake tract clean.

As blowby increases with time and you'll notice more and more build up and seepage past the PCV back through the through the intake manifold (now this is where is supposed to burn off) - but that doesn't happen. It starts to cake on and gum up. Years of neglect can mean expensive repairs later...

It's all in how you look at it... This becomes even more of an alarming issue with DI motors. With no fuel to mix with the air during the intake stroke (intake valve) the valves are even more susceptible to build up...
jnc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #20
Rockwood
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Billet Silver / Gray

My take is to take what's available when I need it.
Gasser engines are far more tolerant than current diesel VW etc are of quality fuel.
As JimFrancis says all you has comes out of the same tanks at a local distribution center. The only differences are additives.
Sometimes I do get zero ethanol gas when driving around down south. But never enough to have zero ethanol. Don't see any difference in the fuel either.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.