Installing Brake Override Bypass on Pioneer 8400bh? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
lepack
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 SPORT
Formal Black

Installing Brake Override Bypass on Pioneer 8400bh?

Quick question for you guys. I'm in the process of installing a Parking Brake Override Bypass (Amazon) on my Pioneer 8400bh and my question is do I still need to tap into the actual parking brake cable (green-orange), or does the bypass negate having to do that. Thanks.
lepack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
ninjakris
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2010 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Re: Installing Brake Override Bypass on Pioneer 8400bh?

short answer, yes.

I have done around 6 pioneer double din stereo installs and while I usually use a simple relay from radio shack, i think the product amazon sells is pretty much the same thing. It somehow tricks the parking brake to get a signal a split second after the radio itself gets power. It should be pretty straight foward. Here is the video that explains it a little better than I can

ninjakris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Could I get the 25 word or less version of WTH a "Brake Override Bypass" is and why I'd want my stereo capable of it?!?

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
hessank
2006 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

So you can watch a DVD while driving (the car is in motion). It is a safety feature to prevent the driver from the temptation of watching the screen when he/she should be looking ahead. However, on long trips it helps to keep the wifey engaged in watching a movie.
hessank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Deathdealer
2006 RT
Billet Silver Metallic

why would you have to fool the parking brake? It doesnt care whether the radio is on or off.

You have to trick the radio...so the short answer is NO, you dont have to tap the parking brake cable...just need the relay to a hot source and it will trick the radio into thinking you have released the brake.
Deathdealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Elkhunter
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RTS
Aberdeen Green Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessank View Post
So you can watch a DVD while driving (the car is in motion). It is a safety feature to prevent the driver from the temptation of watching the screen when he/she should be looking ahead. However, on long trips it helps to keep the wifey engaged in watching a movie.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure what it was either.

Full Size Spare, USA-Spec iPod adaptor, Westin powdercoated sidesteps, OEM tow hitch & harness, 2009 camera handle, Back-up camera, 3.6-inch Boyo Monitor (with second camera on rear of teardrop trailer), Trunk carpet, Trunk dividers, Billet Grill, Infinity Reference 1031t Tweeters, Full-time power to front and rear 12V outlets, Fumoto oil drain valve, FIGS G2 hood prop kit. Rhino 360B Hitch step, Rear Splashguards, 255/65/17 MS2's
Elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
lepack
2012 SPORT
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakris View Post
short answer, yes.
Thanks ninjakris. Different answer from Deathdealer. Makes logical sense to me to tap the brake wire on the HU but not on the truck itself. I'll try that first.

I temporarily connected the HU to a battery yesterday to play around with it and much of the visual stuff is tied to the parking brake being on to view the content. Seems to me like the bypass is a must for aftermarket HU's like this one.

Last edited by lepack; 11-29-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
groupset
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

I've done several installs of the Pioneer AVIC-series units; on those you simply pull an unused pin (usually the mute wire) from the original position on the Pioneer harness, then move it to a certain other position (depends on the AVIC model) and ground that wire along with the green parking brake wire off the Pioneer harness. This fools the unit into thinking it's in test mode, which frees up all capabilities of navigation; watching DVDs and video; etc. while the car is in motion.
groupset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
hessank
2006 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post
why would you have to fool the parking brake? It doesnt care whether the radio is on or off.

You have to trick the radio...so the short answer is NO, you dont have to tap the parking brake cable...just need the relay to a hot source and it will trick the radio into thinking you have released the brake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathdealer View Post

No, it is not the radio you are trying to trick. It is the GPS function via the speed sensor. The speed sensor still tells the unit that you are moving even if it sees the parking brake as being off. In the Pioneer AVIC if it is not done correctly you will get a message actually telling you that your wiring was installed to fool the unit and it will not allow the DVD over-ride (ask me how I know). I have an AVIC3 installed in another car. You do what Groupset suggested and if you check on line it shows you how to swap the pins.
hessank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
lepack
2012 SPORT
Formal Black

Bypass came in today. It's nice and small. Came with some detailed instructions too. Black to ground. Blue to remote wire, can still wire to amp if you've got one. Green to HU parking brake wire only, NO need to wire the actual brake wire with this bypass from microbypass.com (also sold on amazon). Detailed instruction attached.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Tags
2012 , brake override bypass , pioneer 8400bh , ridgeline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.