Best NAV/GPS system - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
roxiedog13
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 SPORT
White/Grey

Best NAV/GPS system

I just bought a brand new 2012 Sport. I want a good Nav/Gps system with bluetooth, voice activated,satellite ,iPhone interface,DVD/CD and very important a rear camera option.

Must interface with the existing steering wheel controls and add a little power to the weak stereo that its replacing.

I've been looking at Pioneer and Kenwood , both have a 6.1 and 7" screen, both seem to have similar specs other than the size of the screen.Both are also really
expensive and was wondering if there are other options??

Kenwood does support the GPS database for Canada so that is important too.
roxiedog13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Best NAV/GPS system

I like Garmin myself, which is only in Kenwoods I believe. Sony uses Tom-Tom.
Alpine and most the others, have their own systems.

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I'm a huge fan of Pioneer. I have the P4400BH DVD unit that doesn't have nav. The AVIC-Z140BH is Pioneer's top of the line. It will do everything you want. It can be purchased for a little under $800 on Amazon. The AVIC-X940BT is another great option that has a smaller screen and not as many features. It can be had for a little over $500 also from Amazon. I've heard good things about the Kenwood and Alpine units, but don't have any first-hand experience with them.

If you replace your stock head unit, you will lose the functionality of your stock subwoofer. The stock one is driven off of a 5th channel within the stock HU and aftermarket HU's do not have this. You will need to upgrade your subwoofer and add an amplifier or you can add an amplified Bazooka bass tube. This starts at about $200 and goes up from there (separate amp and sub being better quality, but more money), so factor that into your budget. Additionally, to retain the functionality of your steering wheel controls, you'll need an adapter. Most, including me, have had great luck with the Axxess ASWC module. It's about $50 on Amazon. Don't forget all of the wiring and install parts needed that will be about $50-100 or so. You will want to upgrade your speakers, too, as the stock ones are not great. Start out by upgrading the tweeters with a set of Infinity, JBL or similar brand and if you're still not satisfied you can do the door speakers, too. Expect to be about $1000-1200+ into this project.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
rollinhonda
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

If you are talking 'systems' I like Pioneer the best also. But have zero experience on their GPS against others.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
hofffam
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Someone really would have to convince me that in dash NAV from anyone is better than Google on my Samsung Galaxy SIII. Updates are free forever.

I would just buy a double DIN with everything you want EXCEPT nav.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
PhotoMaster
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I have the stock HU with NAV, and my only complaint is the cost of the updates. Dealership is telling me $300+ and I'm sure I can find it cheaper on line. On the Garmen that my wife uses I got lifetime updates for less than one update of the NAV dvd. I agree about the Google NAV being superior by far. I use my Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy SII) when I need NAV. I seldom need it, but when I do it's never let me down.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
PhotoMaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
rollinhonda
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I am not sure which double DIN GPS receivers have free updates. I think it varies with the brand. I'm kind of leaning towards non-navi myself.
Even portables are easy to update (free), and can be replaced relatively inexpensively as the technology improves beyond something that software updates can do. That's the second biggest hit again 'in dash' GPS, the first being the cost of map updates.

Last edited by rollinhonda; 11-29-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I have to concur with the rest of you guys. I've had a Garmin Nuvi for about 5-6 years now and I bought the extra "lifetime maps" with it. It was $150 and the lifetime maps thing was another $50. Now, the new GPS units have lifetime maps included, bigger screens, higher resolution and a host of other features only seen in super expensive top-end units of a few years ago. If you bought a decent Garmin for $150, it would serve one's needs for many years. The built-in nav is only nice because of having everything in one package. However, if you don't use it every day, it's just simply not worth it in my opinion. I also have a nav app on my iPhone in case my wife has the GPS for some reason. Works very well and I rarely go to unfamiliar territory anyways.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
rollinhonda
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

My wife has had a Nuvi 760 for years, and serves her needs well. It did not have free updates, but when I added my 2450LM they extended the freebies to include hers.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
e_piph_a_ny
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

+1 for external gps devices.

Many member posts regarding mods to avoid the "spaghetti look" of the power cords.

e_piph_a_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.