Ridgeline - Tough Enough? Bad gravel roads, severe climate. - Page 7 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #61
phillyguy
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Other

Re: Ridgeline - Tough Enough? Bad gravel roads, severe climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
I was going to say something to that effect. The Baja RL's were purpose-built vehicles that happened to start life as stock RL's. I believe there were also several hundred thousand dollars spent on them. The suspension systems aren't available to the public and would have to be custom-made. The time and expense alone wouldn't be worth it. I agree that rough terrain will likely cause the CV joints and other components to wear out faster, but they can be fixed. The RL is tough, but will require more suspension maintenance in those conditions.
Seriously? Several hundred thousand dollars? I had no idea. I thought they were mostly stock with a few suspension modifications. Oops on my part I guess.
phillyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #62
jnc2000
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2010 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

From Russia with love...
(this is my old RL) -- currently in the hands of a forum member who resides in Russia

jnc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #63
PhotoMaster
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

This is a tough call for sure. Used Ford work trucks with cranes and other fun toys on them and they faired ok. But Ford has been lax in their reliability of late. My last Ford had a programming error, that Ford acknowledged was their fault, but wouldn't fix it because they make too much money on the transmissions and throttle bodies they keep replacing. I would also stay away from the EcoBoost as it hasn't been really tested much and is an extremely risky venture in my view. I'm new to RLs, but have found them to be better built than any of the Fords I have used/owned. Whatever your choice I wish you the best and hope to hear how you make out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
PhotoMaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #64
bluesmobile
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Howdy all...bought one today

2012 brand new Touring Edition (may be called something else in US). Leather, roof, navi - wow.

Silver with black inside (not many color choices left by time I decided on a new one)

Gonna be interesting...I did a couple of things so far I hope will extend life of the truck...Got the 3M clear protecto film applied not just on hood and front clip...but also all way down rocker panels front to back about 8-10" strip, plus the entire tailgate, plus headlights and foglights.

Also did the dealer undercoating - which will be inspected and touched up as needed in the future.

Also spray in the panels type rust protection - will probably do RustCheck or Krown starting next fall.

Also paint protection.

Weatherteck hd form fitting mats front and rear, and a BakFlip FP tonneau cover. This one has the 500 lb load rating and FRP finish (fiberglass reinforced paint or polymer or something like that) which doesn't dent like aluminum.

Am loving this truck so far...thanks for pointing me this way, all of you.

Will update with anything interesting as to how it fares in Rough and Tough service....and long term results as well. This is a 3 yr - 100,000 mile (160,000km)) minimum project for me, unless it starts to come unglued before then. And may go longer if its doing well then...
bluesmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #65
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

That's great! Welcome (officially) to the RL owners club. I'm sure we'd love to see some pictures of this new ride. I know I'm going to be following with great interest to see how it takes the punishment of the elements up there!
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #66
Car Compulsive
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2012 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

Wow, you went all in with a new Ridge! Congrats on becoming our official severe duty test lab.

We have our first light coating of snow on the roads this Sunday morning and my Ridge stands ready to deliver coffee to my girlfriend at work and venture to the outback (of the church parking lot).
Car Compulsive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #67
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Remember to take your camera with you. We love pics of RL adventures. Video too.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #68
WNY PAT
ROC Rank: Senior
2013 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

I'm excited to see how it holds up too. My guess is surprisingly well - and we will be amazed at the punishment it'll put up with and chug along. Good luck!
2012 RL RTS (Sold)
WNY PAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #69
haar
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Order the skid plates from here and have fun.
haar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #70
msmith1965
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Compulsive View Post
Wow, you went all in with a new Ridge! Congrats on becoming our official severe duty test lab.

[/SIZE]
Well, I've posted a few times before but have been running my RL on my deer lease for several years. In that time I've replaced 3 CV boots, the front bumper and the underneath splash guard behind the front bumper. Now I know that this will precipitate responses of how folks drive their RL's off cliffs with no damage, but I have not had a good experience. Having been raised in rural Texas, I've been driving off-road now for 30 years.

Having owned 4 other pickups (Chevy's) and 3 SUV's (Tahoe, Sequoia, and Cayenne S), running on the same roads, the RL is simply not cut out for this without significant modification. None of the other vehicles sustained damage. I've even taken my wife's Subaru Outback a couple of times on the lease with no damage, but I believe the Outback has more ground clearance than the RL. We have 5 other hunters that drive the same roads in pickups with no issues.

This is just my experience. I find the RL a good urban vehicle that is very handy (a Swiss Army knife on wheels) but it is simply too fragile for much off-roading. In fact, it is in the shop now having a CV boot replaced from this year's time on the lease. I've modified it this year with a functional bull bar and brush guard and plan to lift it 2" to see if this helps. If not, then I've got to get something else and will park the RL for one of the kids to drive when they get their license in a year or so.
-Westin nerf bars
-Honda OEM hitch and wiring harness
-Roof rack
-Grillcraft MX Series black mesh grill (upper and lower)
-Steelcraft black bullbar
-TRUXX 2" lift kit

Other vehicles:
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd
2009 HD FLHX (103 ci)
2005 HD FXDL
2004 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
1994 Porsche 968 Cabriolet
1966 Chevy Chevelle SS (502ci BB)
msmith1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.