Need new tires - thoughts? - Page 6 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #51
groupset
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Need new tires - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsCREW View Post
Also, I'm new to tire pressure monitoring systems. I'm guessing I'll be asked about rebuilding the sensors.
I recommend you stick with Honda OEM TPMS sensors if you're planning on changing them out - the factory ones can't be rebuilt, nor can you just have the batteries changed in them (the batteries are sealed inside). The OEMs should last you 7-10 years - I just replaced mine at about 7 years and they were working fine, but I had new tires installed and replaced the sensors as a preventive measure. I bought new Honda sensors; the system recognized and calibrated each of the new ones immediately after it was driven after the new tires and sensors were mounted.
groupset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #52
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsCREW View Post
My budget was $160/tire w/o fees
I found this sale from my local tire warehouse chain
Michelin LTX m/s 245/65R17 for $175ea

install quote incl tax is $836. Sound decent?

Also, I'm new to tire pressure monitoring systems. I'm guessing I'll be asked about rebuilding the sensors.
This sounds like a very fair price for these tires. But, it sounds like they are a bit out of your budget. From my research, your not going to find a better price for the ltx's. As far as the tire sensors go, I don't think they need rebuilt. My understanding is that they last basically forever or until they have a mechanical/electrical malfunction. No routine repairs that I am aware of.
Bethard728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #53
groupset
2006 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethard728 View Post
As far as the tire sensors go, I don't think they need rebuilt. My understanding is that they last basically forever or until they have a mechanical/electrical malfunction. No routine repairs that I am aware of.
They'll last until the battery in each dies.
groupset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #54
SalsCREW
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTX
Formal Black

Thanks for the info on the sensors.

I'm going to squeeze some more life out of what I have but will consider the LTX.

My local service shop (where I go when I'm doing my own service) offered Bridgestone Destination LE2 for $740 installed w/tax incl. as an option.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/destination-le2
Past toys:
Sleds - '84 Trailsport, '99 Polaris XC 500
ATVs - '95 Honda FourTrax 300 4x4, '02 Honda Rancher 4x4, '05 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 (current)
SalsCREW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #55
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupset View Post
They'll last until the battery in each dies.
That makes sense...I didn't even consider battery life. I guess they last for several years. I have never heard of anyone ever replacing them and have seen some 8 or 9 years old. But maybe the mechanical failure I have heard of is actually the battery dieing.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #56
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethard728 View Post
That makes sense...I didn't even consider battery life. I guess they last for several years. I have never heard of anyone ever replacing them and have seen some 8 or 9 years old. But maybe the mechanical failure I have heard of is actually the battery dieing.
That's it. There aren't any moving parts that can fail. It's just a sensor. Once the battery dies, the sensor stops doing its job. Simply replacing the whole unit will fix it.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #57
Dreamer-
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I just put a set of Michelin Latitude Tour all seasons and love them. I replaced a set of DAKOTAs and there is a night and day difference in the smoothness and quiet. The new tires are so much better. I must say though, the old DAKOTAs were softer so they felt glued to the road. I estimate a 2-3 MPG improvement.
Dreamer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #58
Victorinox
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RT
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
I am sure they get quite a few letters and they send thank you letters like that too. Some may be lucky if they get a Pen or a Key chain with the Michelin Logo or Mr. Michelin man on it. Ha ha
everyone loves freebies, cheap bastards, even keychain would be nice gesture.
Victorinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #59
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorinox View Post
everyone loves freebies, cheap bastards, even keychain would be nice gesture.
I was holding out for some gesture when they sent the release form...but no luck. They did at least send a pre-stamped envelope for me to send the release form back. I would think a Michelin man eraser would be the least they could do. By the way, I will break the 155k mark this week. 2/32 on the fronts and 1/32 on the back. They are starting to look like drag slicks. I think it's time to send them to the tire pile in the sky.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #60
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Ok, all, I'm really on the fence about the tires I want to get - still. We had some pretty deep snow and some freezing rain happen over the holiday break. Luckily, I didn't have to drive much, but when I did, it wasn't fun. My current tires do have a sliver of tread left, but I have come to the realization that they just aren't safe at all in winter weather. Most of which tire I choose is going to depend on what my tire shop says about the warranty. I only have 2 years and 35k miles on these tires and the warranty is 6 years or 45k miles. If they are fully or even partly warrantied, and I have to get the same brand/type of tire, I will likely just do that. They performed great for about the first 20k miles. They just didn't last too long. However, if the tire shop allows me to get any other brand of tire and just take a certain percentage off of them, I'll do that.

So here are my thoughts now: I don't want a tire that is going to be noisy or hurt my gas mileage due to higher rolling resistance, however I do want something that is good in the snow. So, I've been considering highway tires and A/T tires. The ones that have caught my attention are the Kumho Road Venture KL61's and KL51's. The 61 is a GREAT looking on/off road tire that has been said to have good highway road manners. The 51 is a highway tire that has great treadwear rating and are inexpensive. In addition, I'm looking at the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. Price is good and ratings are good as well. Plus, it comes with 13/32" of tread to start - an extra 32nd. Lastly, I think the Cooper Discoverer HTP's look like a good option, too. Great reviews and specs for the price.

In the spring, my wife and I will be moving closer to my office, so my commute will be cut from 25 miles to about 5 miles. I can put up with some noise for that distance, but I don't want a ridiculous, annoying hum on the highway when we take the truck on a trip. I also don't want to lose 2-3mpg just due to rolling resistance increasing. Anyone have any experience with these tires or have any suggestions for other ones? I'm going to the tire shop on Friday to discuss my options.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera

Last edited by IanRTL; 01-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.