MityVac on ATF - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
mtb
ROC Rank: Junior
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Re: ATF drain plug

I couldn't locate the ATF drain plug while looking at the bottom engine compartment from the front of the 2012 RL... is it different from the 2008? I don't see any blue plug!
Trying to locate things to see if it is possible to do most fluids without lifting RL... but clearance is worst in the front: only 10" (ground to front central jack point) whereas sides are 12.5".
I was able to locate the Engine oil plug, the oil filter, the ATF fill plug ; the transfer case plug (is it for both draining and refill with Hypoid?).

Now for the ATF plug: in what area is it located? by the Hypoid (transfer case)?: because I see there a fairly large plug, without any marking or coloring like the Engine Oil or Hypoid ... is it facing the passenger side or driver side? the front or the back of the RL?

Any tip is appreciated... thanks.

Last edited by mtb; 11-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.
mtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: MityVac on ATF

Yeah, it is different and we should modify the posts accordingly (if we could find them all).

Look at the back left side (2009-) instead of the front right side (2006-2008). Someone with a later vintage than 2008 made us aware of that sometime back.

Regarding the transfer assembly, there is a bottom drain plug and a side fill plug. I don't think Honda moved that from 2009-.

You should be able to get to all fluids without lifting the RL (unless you're really big). You won't be able to do it on a creeper though. For ease of working space, I like to lift by the central jack points and slide my nifty 6t jackstands under the side lift points and get some working room underneath if I'm doing much more than an oil and filter change or tranny fluid change. It's generally time to rotate the tires anyway so it's no big deal.

The most difficult part will likely be loosening the fill bolts before you drain anything. Those are typically put on there tight.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 11-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
mtb
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Yeah, it is different and we should modify the posts accordingly (if we could find them all).

Look at the back left side (2009-) instead of the front right side (2006-2008). Someone with a later vintage than 2008 made us aware of that sometime back.

Regarding the transfer assembly, there is a bottom drain plug and a side fill plug. I don't think Honda moved that from 2009-.

You should be able to get to all fluids without lifting the RL (unless you're really big). You won't be able to do it on a creeper though. For ease of working space, I like to lift by the central jack points and slide my nifty 6t jackstands under the side lift points and get some working room underneath if I'm doing much more than an oil and filter change or tranny fluid change. It's generally time to rotate the tires anyway so it's no big deal.

The most difficult part will likely be loosening the fill bolts before you drain anything. Those are typically put on there tight.
Thanks Speed...
I will look at those spots to see if it is still at the same location...
The picture shows the hypoid location (transfer case), correct?
at first i thought it was the ATF... sorry.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by mtb; 11-30-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: a little confused
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Yes, the picture above is of the transfer assembly (transfer case).

Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #25
mtb
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

ATF Drain Plug for 2012 RL

I think this is the one because I don't see any other plug on either side of the tranny: it is facing the driver front tire side.... no marking or coloring but it is 3/8 size.
It can be serviced just sitting on a small stool ( if that is really the one).
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #26
schwejo
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Here it is:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=20628
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #27
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: ATF Drain Plug for 2012 RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb View Post
I think this is the one because I don't see any other plug on either side of the tranny: it is facing the driver front tire side.... no marking or coloring but it is 3/8 size.
It can be serviced just sitting on a small stool ( if that is really the one).
Nope, that's not it. I have the same plug on mine and have no idea what it's for.

It's too high up to be the drain plug.

The thread schwejo linked to shows the 2006-2008 tranny drain location. The 2009- tranny drain is the opposite side and towards the rear. I don't have an image of the new drain location.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #28
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Here's a schematic that looks like it shows the 2009- tranny drain plug on the left front of the case, not the left rear as I thought I'd read here.

Source:
http://www.collegehillshondaparts.co...converter-case

For reference, the pic in the thread schwejo linked shows the 2006-2008 transmission drain plug which is located on the front right of the case (when viewed from the front of the RL looking towards the driver).

Can someone with a 2009- RL take a pic of the tranny drain plug and show where it's located to confirm this?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #29
mtb
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Here's a schematic that looks like it shows the 2009- tranny drain plug on the left front of the case, not the left rear as I thought I'd read here.

Source:
http://www.collegehillshondaparts.co...converter-case

For reference, the pic in the thread schwejo linked shows the 2006-2008 transmission drain plug which is located on the front right of the case (when viewed from the front of the RL looking towards the driver).

Can someone with a 2009- RL take a pic of the tranny drain plug and show where it's located to confirm this?

Thanks for the source .... I will check that.

Last edited by mtb; 12-01-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
mtb
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

I don't know how I missed that ...here is a Pic. It is located Left on lower Front.
Thanks a lot Speed.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.