2012 Sport audio upgrade? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
DaveG55
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: 2012 Sport audio upgrade?

Crutchfield can be more expensive but that extra $$$ gets you worthwhile parts and services. As others have said, what you buy from them comes with very complete instructions and their customer service and tech support is great too. It really is nice to order a set of, say, door speakers and get - at no extra charge - the mounting and wiring adapters. Still using the door speakers as an example the extras you get from Crutchfield can save you $15-$20 per set and makes the install much easier.
I would also encourage the OP to take a stab at the install himself! I think he will find that the anticipation is much worse than the actual install will be.
Good luck, take photos and if you do run into problems the answer is probably as close as your computer and ROC!
2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Bigscrap
ROC Rank: Freshman
2013 SPORT
Crystal Black Pearl

Well I just ordered the some infinity tweeters and speakers and will most likely put those in myself vis the awesome guides on here. I'm more worried about installing the bazooka sub if I end up going with one since I would assume wiring has to go pretty far or does it tie in to rear speakers? ( haven't gotten my ridgeline yet so not sure about speaker placement. Holding out for end of year deals or quota on local dealer). Also I will probably eventually get a ddin display, not caring about nav or cd changers. Single disc works fine since I always just hook up my iPhone, but would like a touch screen maybe if price isn't terrible. Side note, these forums are amazing ha, every time I log on something new.
Bigscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscrap View Post
Well I just ordered the some infinity tweeters and speakers and will most likely put those in myself vis the awesome guides on here. I'm more worried about installing the bazooka sub if I end up going with one since I would assume wiring has to go pretty far or does it tie in to rear speakers? ( haven't gotten my ridgeline yet so not sure about speaker placement. Holding out for end of year deals or quota on local dealer). Also I will probably eventually get a ddin display, not caring about nav or cd changers. Single disc works fine since I always just hook up my iPhone, but would like a touch screen maybe if price isn't terrible. Side note, these forums are amazing ha, every time I log on something new.
Tweeters and speakers? Did you order a component set (separate tweeter and mid-bass driver for the door) or did you order a separate set of tweeters and a coaxial set? Infinity speakers are designed at 2 ohms. It allows for less resistance and, what Infinity says, better performance from a stock system. The RL's door speaker/tweeter is wired in parallel, meaning that the positive and negative terminals of each speaker are wired together. This effectively halves the seen load, so using a separate 2 ohm tweeter and 2 ohm coaxial speaker will create a 1 ohm load - you will overload the stock wiring and may cause damage to the stock (or any aftermarket, for that matter) head unit. The component set is designed to work together and show an overall 2 ohm load. Post up the model numbers and type of speakers you purchased. Hoping you got the component set!
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #14
Bigscrap
2013 SPORT
Crystal Black Pearl

Yikes. This is why I know nothing about speakers and don't like installing them ha. I did buy them separate but hoping they will work. Here are the links for the tweeters and speakers I got. Fingers crossed.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
hofffam
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
Tweeters and speakers? Did you order a component set (separate tweeter and mid-bass driver for the door) or did you order a separate set of tweeters and a coaxial set? Infinity speakers are designed at 2 ohms. It allows for less resistance and, what Infinity says, better performance from a stock system. The RL's door speaker/tweeter is wired in parallel, meaning that the positive and negative terminals of each speaker are wired together. This effectively halves the seen load, so using a separate 2 ohm tweeter and 2 ohm coaxial speaker will create a 1 ohm load - you will overload the stock wiring and may cause damage to the stock (or any aftermarket, for that matter) head unit. The component set is designed to work together and show an overall 2 ohm load. Post up the model numbers and type of speakers you purchased. Hoping you got the component set!
The impedance of a two-way system doesn't work this way because of the crossover.

Every two way system wires the woofer and tweeter in parallel. Normally the woofer has a low pass xover and the tweeter a high pass. Above the xover frequency, the woofer's impedance increases dramatically. That's how high frequencies are blocked. The opposite happens for the tweeter.

That means that connecting an 8 ohm woofer in parallel with an 8 ohm tweeter typically retains an 8 ohm overall impedance. In the tweeter's range the woofer looks like a very high impedance. So the 8 ohm tweeter is in parallel with a 1000 ohm load. And in the woofer's operating range it is in parallel with a 1000 ohm tweeter.

It is slightly different when the woofer doesn't have a low pass filter. But most woofers impedance rises with frequency. So there are usually no problems.

I don't like the OP's choices though. I don't like high frequencies coming from two places - which is what he will have with a coax in the door plus a tweeter.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
Bigscrap
2013 SPORT
Crystal Black Pearl

Ok that kinda went over my head as to whether the items I bought would work or not ha. And if not a better choice? They haven't shipped yet so may be able to switch.

Last edited by Bigscrap; 12-01-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
hofffam
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigscrap View Post
Ok that kinda went over my head as to whether the items I bought would work or not ha. And if not a better choice? They haven't shipped yet so may be able to switch.
If it were me, I would buy a component speaker set instead of what you did. Adding a tweeter to a system that already has a tweeter is likely to produce very uneven sound quality.

Or send back the tweeters.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Bigscrap
2013 SPORT
Crystal Black Pearl

Well I was just planning on replacing the dash tweeters and door speakers with what I bought, not adding them on persay. Is that still a problem? Looking at them, is it cause the door speakers have a tweeter as well? This is all probably rather obvious but I've never dealt with audio equipment heh. I just tried to cancel my orders from amazon either way.

Also if possible could you recommend a component system that would fit, 200-300$ is about all I'd care to spend since I will eventually do the rear doors as well as the dash.

Last edited by Bigscrap; 12-01-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

I admit blame from recommending coax and tweeters, my reason for doing that instead of recommending components is because most components need power to sound better and building a hybrid system gets tricky and complex. There are components that will sound good without an amp, but the only one I know and can recommend from experience is the hertz dsk165, the older model is easier to deal with using separate xovers, the new model has a single crossover making it hard to wire to kee the factory location. The difficulty of dealing with the xovers is the other reason I recommend to just go with 4 ohm coax and 4 ohm tweeters.

Oh! and regarding the sound, I had just my new tweeters on the dash for a while while the Honda speakers were running full range, the door speakers are way too low, our legs block the high frequencies , I did not think it was an issue for the stage image.

Last edited by laserguy; 12-01-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: ON RED
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Bigscrap
2013 SPORT
Crystal Black Pearl

Ok so last two DSK 165 6.5 160W Component Speakers with Tweeters on Amazon.

Amazon Amazon

These work? I'm bout to pull the trigger ha.

Bah scratch that they got bought up. On to something else.

How about Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System
by Infinity?
Amazon Amazon

Of course the Amazon car part finder says these won't fit but no clue how accurate that is.

Last edited by Bigscrap; 12-01-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.