What PSI ? - Page 7 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #61
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: What PSI ?

I think it makes sense in some ways, but I am a bit unsure as to how that will affect handling ... which I think it will in a negative way. Maybe only in extreme cases... but probably when you need it most.

I also have to wonder how it affects braking performance, if at all.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #62
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickman View Post
That is just the craziest thing I have heard regarding this subject??????
Check my math in post #13 of this thread. It gives an example of accounting for pressure drop with temperature drop. Setting the recommended 32 PSI before the freeze hits can easily lead to unsafe pressure in the bitter cold. Hence the TPMS alert occurs.
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #63
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
Check my math in post #13 of this thread. It gives an example of accounting for pressure drop with temperature drop. Setting the recommended 32 PSI before the freeze hits can easily lead to unsafe pressure in the bitter cold. Hence the TPMS alert occurs.
I could be wrong, but I think Rickman's reply had to do with the high pressure settings In Darel was using, not the fact that the tires need to be pumped back up when the temperature drops.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #64
StotheG
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

I've kept my Hankooks at 35 since I got them a year and a half ago and they're doing great! I think some folks are over-analyzing this. Do what the manufacturer suggests if you don't like the advice you get here. Just check your pressure regularly (I've heard you lose pressure when the temperature drops).

Plasti-Dipped Alloy OEM wheels/Honda emblems, Alpine CDA 9886, JL Audio Stealthbox w/Alpine MRP M500, 4 JL Audio TR525-CXi w/Alpine MRP F300, Go Rhino 36" Hitch Step, Westin Hood Deflector, HID Blue Headlight Tint, Elemmat bed liner set, OEM Roof Rack
StotheG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #65
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I think it makes sense in some ways, but I am a bit unsure as to how that will affect handling ... which I think it will in a negative way. Maybe only in extreme cases... but probably when you need it most.

I also have to wonder how it affects braking performance, if at all.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7404395_eff...ion-tires.html
http://www.ehow.com/list_6966540_con...ted-tires.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4199963
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/over-i...-tire-wear.htm

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #66
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Ourfarm-do you know what is considered over inflated. After reading your links, i couldn't really determine it over inflation is:

1. Inflating the tires above manufacturer recommendation
Or
2. Inflating above the sidewall max.

I would think over inflation would be above the max pressure listed on the sidewall, but one link led me to believe it is considered over manf. Recommendation.
Bethard728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #67
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StotheG View Post
I've kept my Hankooks at 35 since I got them a year and a half ago and they're doing great! I think some folks are over-analyzing this. Do what the manufacturer suggests if you don't like the advice you get here. Just check your pressure regularly (I've heard you lose pressure when the temperature drops).
A voice of reason! And yes, the pressure does drop off in colder weather another reason to keep it monitored and adjusted as needed.

Considering the max pressure has nothing to do with ride, handling, etc. but everything to do with a safety limit of the specific tire ' I don't understand why anybody would run pressures near that number.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!

Last edited by rollinhonda; 12-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #68
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethard728 View Post
Ourfarm-do you know what is considered over inflated. After reading your links, i couldn't really determine it over inflation is:

1. Inflating the tires above manufacturer recommendation
Or
2. Inflating above the sidewall max.

I would think over inflation would be above the max pressure listed on the sidewall, but one link led me to believe it is considered over manf. Recommendation.
My understanding in over inflated is above the vehicle recommendations. Over the side wall max in dangerous.

In my line of work I can see the difference of a tire being over inflated by 10 psi. I work on school buses and yes they are commercial tires and are big. One year and model calls for 90 psi on the front by the bus manufacture and 80 psi by Firestone. When the front is worn to 4/32 on the front in the center it, the outer treads are at 6/32. We cannot lower the pressure anymore because of laws. We have to run the max pressure for the axle weight. When we follow the bus manufacture recommendation of 90 psi and the center treads read 4/32 the outer tread will read from 8 to 10/32. A big difference at $300 a tire.

On our Ford truck fleet, which is managed by a co-worker of mine, he runs 45 psi plus in the trucks and wears out the centers. He's 70, stuck in his old ways of "more is better".

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #69
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Are you running 22.5's on your buses? The reason I ask is I am wondering if load would have any effect on wearing the centers. I run 110 psi on my semi tires and they never wear the centers. And I have bought used tires from school buses before to run on semis and they are the exact same as reglar 22.5 low pro. If you are wearing centers at 90 on the same tires that wear perfectly at 110 on a semi, is the problem related to buses running less weight per tire?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #70
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Another side note to add....it has been while and I have slept since then, but didn't ford explorers have an issue with blowing tires back in the late 90s? Ford recommended something like 32psi to help the ride. But firestone recommended something like 38psi. Maybe my recollection is wrong, but this might indicate that vehicle specs are not always the best to go with. Maybe the tire specs are the best way
To go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.