Kayaks and Bed Liners - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
RomanLA
ROC Rank: Freshman
2011 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

Kayaks and Bed Liners

I'm looking for options to carry whitewater kayaks. So far I just have the factory roof rack. I tried a kayak stacker on it, but it was a pain to reach the roof standing on the side rails, so I ended up returning it.

First off, I'm looking for a good soft bed liner, since the factory coating is like sandpaper on a plastic kayak. I've been throwing in some workout mats, but I'd like something more permanent. Any suggestions?

Also, I was thinking about some sort of rack in the bed. I remember seeing someone that bought the Vantech siderails and then mounted a Yakima rack onto the rails, so the rack sat just over the bed, instead of sticking up at roof height. Anyone tried that or know where I can find that post? I haven't had any luck finding it again.

Any other suggestions on carrying whitewater kayaks (6 to 10ft long)?
RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
KSPhoto
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Kayaks and Bed Liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanLA View Post
I'm looking for options to carry whitewater kayaks. So far I just have the factory roof rack. I tried a kayak stacker on it, but it was a pain to reach the roof standing on the side rails, so I ended up returning it.

First off, I'm looking for a good soft bed liner, since the factory coating is like sandpaper on a plastic kayak. I've been throwing in some workout mats, but I'd like something more permanent. Any suggestions?

Also, I was thinking about some sort of rack in the bed. I remember seeing someone that bought the Vantech siderails and then mounted a Yakima rack onto the rails, so the rack sat just over the bed, instead of sticking up at roof height. Anyone tried that or know where I can find that post? I haven't had any luck finding it again.

Any other suggestions on carrying whitewater kayaks (6 to 10ft long)?

I have posted before about using (just) the VanTech side rails and a yakima rack. I find this setup works well. You can search my previous posts for more information. Or let me know if you have a specific question. Also, for the longer kayaks, you might want to search for posts about hitch-mounted bed extenders, which several members have found useful. I'm thinking about getting one myself for a specific application. Good luck.
Attached Images

KSPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
RomanLA
2011 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

Thanks...that looks so nice!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
MoosePond
ROC Rank: 7k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

The Thule Hullavator is an expensive solution but would definitely solve your problem:

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...7XT-Hullavator

We carry our two 12' recreational kayaks on the factory roof rack with Yakima BowDown racks and carry a small, lightweight aluminum stepladder to make it easier to affix the straps, install our cockpit covers, etc.
Attached Images

Life is too short to drive boring vehicles!

Last edited by MoosePond; 12-04-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: add comment and link
MoosePond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
RomanLA
2011 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

My friend that turned me on to the Ridgeline has a hullavator. I really need to be able to carry at least 4 and preferably 6 kayaks though. I have some Thule 450 feet that I've seen people get to work on a factory rack. I'm going to check out the Yakima railgrabs first though. I wouldn't mind carrying a step ladder from time to time as needed. It would be sweet to be able to carry like a dozen yaks and gear! lol
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
MoosePond
White / Beige

Quote:
My friend that turned me on to the Ridgeline has a hullavator. I really need to be able to carry at least 4 and preferably 6 kayaks though. I have some Thule 450 feet that I've seen people get to work on a factory rack. I'm going to check out the Yakima railgrabs first though. I wouldn't mind carrying a step ladder from time to time as needed. It would be sweet to be able to carry like a dozen yaks and gear! lol
They make a very nifty device for carrying that many yaks - it's called a trailer and I've seen ones for up to a dozen or so at some of the rental outfits!
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
RomanLA
2011 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

I was thinking 4 on the roof, 6 on a bed rack, and 4 more in the bed....14 seems like a reasonable number! :P
Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
MoosePond
White / Beige

Quote:
I was thinking 4 on the roof, 6 on a bed rack, and 4 more in the bed....14 seems like a reasonable number! :P
The more the merrier?

Keep in mind that your Ridgeline has a 1,500 pound load limit - and that includes occupants. 14 kayaks at say 40-45 pounds each is over 1/3rd of that, add racks, PFDs, paddles, a couple of coolers and 3-4 occupants and you could quite easily exceed that limit and put safety and reliability at risk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.