Computer memory saver - Page 4 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #31
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Computer memory saver

I do not know about any diode, but maybe it can be added or soldered once you know the value for the diode.

here is the link where it can be purchased, if shipping is too much, maybe someone can buy 10 or so then resell them, if shipped first class or priority it should be really cheap, under $5.00. It says free shipping on orders of $50.00, we need 20 units.

https://www.hobbymods.com/store/inde...tor-clips.html
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

You want to get like a 1N4004 diode, Radio Shack, etc. Wire it in series with the Positive lead (from the 9v battery), with the band marking on the end of the diode going to the connector for the + cable of your car battery. Negative lead of the 9v battery goes straight to the negative (-) car battery connector.

9V + >>>>> >I- >>>>> + car battery lead
batt - >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> - car battery lead

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #33
2012 Alabaster
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 RTS
Alabaster Silver Metallic

How about trying a OBD II Memory Saver Adapter Cable. Connect the OBD II Memory Saver Adapter Cable to your OBD II port and a 12-volt jumpstart device (might be able to use another nearby car too) to maintain current and prevent data loss. Ignition key position doesn't matter because the OBD II connection goes directly to your car's electric circuit. Cost $24.99.

I bought one but have not needed to try it yet on any of my vehicles.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...FQVnOgodxy8A0g
Attached Images

2012 Alabaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #34
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Actually, that should work great with something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Pretty cool.

And here's a cable from Amazon for about $11.
Amazon Amazon

Edit: I decided to go ahead and just get this combo. Ran into a situation tonight where someone needed a jump and I didn't have my cables with me.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 12-06-2012 at 07:18 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #35
rollinhonda
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Alabaster View Post
How about trying a OBD II Memory Saver Adapter Cable. Connect the OBD II Memory Saver Adapter Cable to your OBD II port and a 12-volt jumpstart device (might be able to use another nearby car too) to maintain current and prevent data loss. Ignition key position doesn't matter because the OBD II connection goes directly to your car's electric circuit. Cost $24.99.

I bought one but have not needed to try it yet on any of my vehicles.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...FQVnOgodxy8A0g
Sure, if you used a different car to supply the voltage, that would work fine. I don't know if it would take care of radio presets also, by going through the OBD connector.
That's what's nice about doing it at the battery cables, it goes to every place that would normally use the car battery to retain memory, plus it would not cost 24.99.

Private Mechs:

Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #36
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

According to the Honda text in post 23, connecting the power source via the OBD2 port keeps all the info, including radio security code and presets, the idle learn, etc. Not sure why I kept that part using that 9v device, but still lost the tripmeter info. IAC, I retired that 9v device and figure it was a waste of $10.

As usual, every time I try to cheap out on a tool it bites me in the wallet. Of course, I assumed the 9v thingee would work and only learned what I needed to know after the fact. I'm glad that lesson only cost me $10.. one of my cheaper lessons.

No worries. I have the right tools coming now.

Last edited by speedlever; 12-07-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #37
Jack
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

I've used the jump start method on mine. Connect jumper cables to your Ridge from another car, just like the dead battery method to jump. Then loosen the connectors on the Ridge battery and carefully put them aside while they are still connected to the other car. One of those self contained jump start tools would work as well. A battery charger might work but some of them are not completely filtered and supply half-rectified DC voltage. That's OK for the battery, but not sensitive electronics.

There is no way I would put a 9v battery across the regular 12 volt car battery to preserve the codes. I'm surprised that the 9 volt didn't explode. Sure there is only 3 volts difference, but the issue is the amperage. I think you got lucky and your 12 volt car battery was almost completely dead. Try that trick with a fully charged 12 volt car battery, wear goggles and gloves.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #38
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

That's what I was thinking Jack, but others say differently. IAC, it's a moot point now as I ordered the right tools for the job.

I'm a little concerned that there may be potential risks jump starting to/from the newer vehicles these days... the computerized components that some seem to have have problems with after being jumped or jumping someone else. I used to never even give it a thought. But now I have to wonder if that is smart or not.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #39
rollinhonda
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

The 9v battery works fine. It is smart to use the diode though. This is no different than what they sell in autoparts stores (with the diode).

Good info on the OBD connector, Speedlever.
I have one of these which would be a great power source, and less risky than using another vehicle.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/743288977-...-jump-starter/

But $25 seems high for the adapter. Might not be that hard to DIY.

Private Mechs:

Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #40
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I linked one in post 34 for $11 that I ordered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.