Drivers door speaker stopped working, where do I start? - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #21
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Drivers door speaker stopped working, where do I start?

These videos may help
The process is identical for this accord except for 3 Philips screws for the door handle attached to the door, and maybe the the 3 hex screws that attach the door lever after the plastic cover is removed and the other plastic cover that need to be remove to start the first step on this video.

Except the speaker

Last edited by laserguy; 12-07-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: more info
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #22
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

What's the update Liz?

I had my front driver door speaker sounding like a wet fart yesterday, I removed the panel played with the connections and it appeared to work fine. My guess is Humidity affects some connections and tape or shrink wrap may be a good idea to keep moisture out.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
Elizabeth Miller
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

I'm a busy girl, every time I planned to do it something came up. I am going to attempt it now.

Beth
Elizabeth Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Elizabeth Miller
2007 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

I got the door panel off, ripped it b/c I missed a screw. I don't know how to proceed. What should I do next? I am not sure about disconnecting all that wiring to completely take off the panel. How do I find a loose speaker wire?

Beth
Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #25
Elizabeth Miller
2007 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

I removed the speaker and found where the wires are connected to a box?? I also found a loose wire and one empty connection in that box where the individual speaker wires are connected. Could that be the issue? I took pics with the iphone but the website won't load them. Said they are invalid. I even sent the smallest size. that wire seems to be cut flat, not stripped.

Last edited by Elizabeth Miller; 12-09-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Elizabeth Miller
2007 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

The screw that is supposed to hold the wire in has corrosion around it. Its really hard for me to get my hand in the speaker hole and try to unscrew it to get the wire end back in there. I have to strip the end of the wire.

Last edited by Elizabeth Miller; 12-09-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
Elizabeth Miller
2007 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

The copper inside the wiring is corroded into power. I had to cut off several inches until I reached copper. I am going to see if a cuticle cutter is small enough to strip off the covering of the wire.

Last edited by Elizabeth Miller; 12-09-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #28
Elizabeth Miller
2007 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

I fixed it but I broke it! The main speaker in the door worked after I connected the end of the wire into the polk audio box in the door. I think the speaker in the window was working but I heard static very clearly. However, it was on a FM station and it there was talking not music playing. I got the door back on and together but it is ripped at the top and I will order a new door panel and try to put it on myself. All the wire plugs seemed complicated. I did not try to take them off I just let the panel hang there, I mean it rested on my tool box and kept falling off and hitting me in the head. Also, I did not have a trim tool but used a cooking spatula instead. That seemed to work. Also, the cuticle cutters worked ok as a wire stripper. Finally, I used my hair dryer to heat up the glue/putty that adhered to the plastic on the door to make it stick. My dog was assisting, unfortunately the truck is disgustingly muddy on the bottom of it and he was underneath the truck doing something so he is a mess and will be going to bed wet! The end.

Thanks for your help,

Beth
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Miller View Post
I fixed it but I broke it! The main speaker in the door worked after I connected the end of the wire into the polk audio box in the door. I think the speaker in the window was working but I heard static very clearly. However, it was on a FM station and it there was talking not music playing. I got the door back on and together but it is ripped at the top and I will order a new door panel and try to put it on myself. All the wire plugs seemed complicated. I did not try to take them off I just let the panel hang there, I mean it rested on my tool box and kept falling off and hitting me in the head. Also, I did not have a trim tool but used a cooking spatula instead. That seemed to work. Also, the cuticle cutters worked ok as a wire stripper. Finally, I used my hair dryer to heat up the glue/putty that adhered to the plastic on the door to make it stick. My dog was assisting, unfortunately the truck is disgustingly muddy on the bottom of it and he was underneath the truck doing something so he is a mess and will be going to bed wet! The end.

Thanks for your help,

Beth
Polk? Sounds like whoever had the truck before you replaced the stock speakers with an aftermarket component set. The "audio box" you refer to sounds like a crossover. You already have upgraded speakers in there. I'm sorry to hear about the ripped door panel. Typically, if the panel doesn't pry off easily, you've missed a screw. I would recommend getting a replacement from a junkyard. It will be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new. Live any learn! Hope it all turns out for the best!
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
Elizabeth Miller
2007 RTS
Sterling Gray Metallic

Can you tell me how difficult it will be to remove the electronic parts inside the panel and put them in the new panel when I get it? I saw 4 plugs that I would have had to unplug to completely remove the panel. I think the service guy said they were for the door lock and window. Is there a thread for that? No problem getting the panel off and on now!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.