New member, considering an RL... - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > Greetings & Introductions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
karaokemassage
ROC Rank: Freshman
2013 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Sterling Gray Metallic

New member, considering an RL...

Hey all, thought I'd introduce myself. I am a former member (well, I guess only death will release you, so perhaps current member) of the EOC. I gave my E to my mother when her Mazda died and have trucked along with a 1996 Mazda B series until now. The old girl is making some sad noises so the wife has given me a green light to replace her. My experience with the E was positive so I am considering giving the RL a drive and maybe picking one up.

I'm still undecided as to which one to look at and drive, though it seems like the Sport is a nice one. I don't need Navi and certainly don't need or want leather seats (2 50lb drool monsters will be in the back) so either an RT or Sport seem like the obvious choices.

The truck will be my main vehicle (wife drives a Forester) and most of my trips are short jaunts around town. However we plan on picking up a light camping trailer (probably a SoCal Teardrop) and taking the truck camping. I also do a fair bit of outdoor stuff so something to carry bike and paddleboards is good. I plan on doing a bed cover of some kind and a "lumber rack" style rack, probably a Thule.

Anyhow, don't mind me, I'm just stealthing around checking out other peoples' trucks and thinking about what I'd want on mine and whether it is available. Not sure if Larry mods these boards too but if he does SMOOCHES SPEEDY!
karaokemassage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
chesterh
2011 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: New member, considering an RL...

Well, I had an 01 B-3300, and I would classify it as a "miserable" vehicle. Spent some time in a friend's E, and found it odd and interesting, but nothing I'd want to live with. The Ridgeline has proven to be an excellent companion in every way - far more comfortable and useful than either of the other two.

When I bought, the RTS had improvements over the RT that made it the compelling buy (ex: dual climate control). Haven't checked out the Sport enough to have an opinion. In any case, you'll wonder how you tolerated driving the B-series...

Last edited by chesterh; 12-09-2012 at 07:39 PM.
chesterh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
karaokemassage
Sterling Gray Metallic

HA! Well, the B2300 is a classic for sure, and while I wouldn't say she's "miserable", others might lol. I'm used to her quirks now (wipers and radio turning on and off sometimes when I use the turn signals, sketchy non-abs brakes, whine from the rear diff) but at 186k miles she's had a good run. She took my wife to the east coast, back, out and back again.

As for the E, I absolutely adored that car. It had spunk, personality and utility. The EOC is also a fantastic group of folks, which made ownership even better. I modded it up pretty good and had a ball until Mom needed it more than me. We replaced it with the Forester for the wife and for her the Subaru is a better vehicle. For me, I think I'll enjoy the RL since it seems like an Element on steroids, lots of utility, stronger pulling power, an honest to goodness truck bed, comfort inside and the ability to actually tow something heavier than a fridge.

I've heard good things about the RL. Heard a few bad things too, but none so heinous that it turned me off the car. People say it is priced high but 6 months of cross shopping has convinced me that when you compare apples to apples the RL is extremely competitive. Power is a concern, though a small one. Honestly a hamster running in a wheel would out-pull the Mazda. Still, a test drive is incoming in the coming days. I will have to make the all important decision on whether to go with white or grey. Which one makes more horses?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Leather cleans up a lot easier than cloth, considering those drool monsters you mentioned. Otherwise, I think the RTS is the value buy. But perhaps I'm prejudiced.

OTOH, you could get a seat cover for the rear seats for your DMs. But still....

BTW, short trips around town will pretty much guarantee complaints about poor mpgs.

Be forewarned.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
karaokemassage
Sterling Gray Metallic

Definitely hear ya on the leather. I'd mostly be worried about claw marks, but my plan is to get a set of wet okolo or other really nice waterproof seat covers. I guess I won't rule out any type of seat, but budget is a factor so...

Definitely hear ya on the around town MPGs. I live in Sacto though so "around town" is usually a 20 or 30 mile trip that's 90% freeway. My Mazda gets about 18mpg at the moment, if that, which for a 4 banger manual with 12 horsepower (or it FEELS like that anyhow) is rather terrible. Originally the truck was rated at something like 25-28mpg. Poor girl ain't happy.

I am hoping that a bed cover on the RL will perhaps help a little with MPGs. I might be dreaming though lol. I'll look around too, but are there other MPG tips that might help a little? CAIs or chips (or both). I actually have a soft foot most of the time, and regularly got mid to high 20s in the E, and get over 30 in the Subbie on longer trips, so I hope once she's broken in the RL would get closer to the top of the ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Leather cleans up a lot easier than cloth, considering those drool monsters you mentioned. Otherwise, I think the RTS is the value buy. But perhaps I'm prejudiced.

OTOH, you could get a seat cover for the rear seats for your DMs. But still....

BTW, short trips around town will pretty much guarantee complaints about poor mpgs.

Be forewarned.

Good luck and have fun shopping!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Unless you want the tonneau cover for other reasons, it will take a very long time to realize a ROI just for mpg purposes. You might gain 1 mpg with it.

There are no performance chips at the present time. And the current intake design is a CAI:

I have a rear seat cover I use for our Chocolate Lab. I've had very little issue with cloth seat staining, but others here have reported major staining issues. It seems to vary based on the cloth supplier and there's no way to know what cloth you'll get. If you put the seat covers on, it may be a moot point anyway.

There are so many individual factors in the mpg thing. You may be better off with 20 to 30 mile trips, if that is your definition of short trips. For me, it may be a 5 to 7 mile trip with a stop at the store in between. My siggy shows my mpg history.

Good luck with your choice.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 12-10-2012 at 06:33 AM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > Greetings & Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.