Warning triangle and VSA light turning on when i turn wheel to the right..HELP!!! - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
SaltyCdog
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Question Warning triangle and VSA light turning on when i turn wheel to the right..HELP!!!

This is my first post, I hope someone out there can help. I just added steering wheel controls to a 2007 RT that work fine but after the install (and disconnecting the battery a few times) I am getting the VSA an ! triangle on the cluster. When the vehicle is started all the warning lights clear and then just by turning the wheel only about 1.5 turns clockwise causes the lights to com on. When in motion and turning to the right the ! triangle flashes sometimes, sometimes makes some mechanical noise in the drive train and the lights come on constant. There are no abs or brake warning lights coming on when this happens. I checked plugs and other button functions and have no solutions yet. I added backup sensors to the Ridge and at one point had the rear right wheel jacked up off the ground and the ignition on if could have anything to do with it... All plugs and wires look correct and everything seems in order. What could it be
SaltyCdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Re: Warning triangle and VSA light turning on when i turn wheel to the right..HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyCdog View Post
This is my first post, I hope someone out there can help. I just added steering wheel controls to a 2007 RT that work fine but after the install (and disconnecting the battery a few times) I am getting the VSA an ! triangle on the cluster. When the vehicle is started all the warning lights clear and then just by turning the wheel only about 1.5 turns clockwise causes the lights to com on. When in motion and turning to the right the ! triangle flashes sometimes, sometimes makes some mechanical noise in the drive train and the lights come on constant. There are no abs or brake warning lights coming on when this happens. I checked plugs and other button functions and have no solutions yet. I added backup sensors to the Ridge and at one point had the rear right wheel jacked up off the ground and the ignition on if could have anything to do with it... All plugs and wires look correct and everything seems in order. What could it be
I don't have an answer other than you've introduced several variables with the steering wheel change. I suggest you revert to stock and find out if the issue is related to the steering wheel change or not. Until then there are too many variables involved.

The issue may be entirely unrelated to the changes you made.

All content i publish is Copyright at the time and date published by Joe Wolf. Opinion is not subject to Copyright.
csimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Warning triangle and VSA light turning on when i turn wheel to the right..HELP!!!

Make sure the clock wheel sensor (Reminds me of a measuring tape) is connected and working correctly. It is the device that tells the stability system the steering wheel position so that it can calculate what the VSA needs to do.

If so, you will need to do what csimo recommended.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
DaveG55
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Well, I'm not sure what all is involved with add steering wheel controls to an RL but if you did actually have to switch the steering wheels then I woulld have to agree with MikeT. It sounds like it could be an issue with the "clock spring" and I would verify that it is installed correctly.
2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
SaltyCdog
ROC Rank: Freshman
2007 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Thanks for the replies! I figured it out, the clockspring was fine. The issue was that when the wheel was installed back on the shaft the the steering angle sensor/ turn signal release switch had moved just enough to misalign itself from the wheel. The alignment collar is spring loaded and got pressed by the steering wheel notches not lining up and when I turned the wheel the first time the wheel went 180 degrees till it all lined back up and snapped into place. Basically I had to rotate the steering wheel angle sensor back to where it was which took a lot of counting rotations, till the vsa light came on, from right to left. Kinda hard to explain so message me if you are having the same problem. Maybe I can help?
SaltyCdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
DaveG55
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Interesting, thanks for posting your solution!
2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyCdog View Post
Thanks for the replies! I figured it out, the clockspring was fine. The issue was that when the wheel was installed back on the shaft the the steering angle sensor/ turn signal release switch had moved just enough to misalign itself from the wheel. The alignment collar is spring loaded and got pressed by the steering wheel notches not lining up and when I turned the wheel the first time the wheel went 180 degrees till it all lined back up and snapped into place. Basically I had to rotate the steering wheel angle sensor back to where it was which took a lot of counting rotations, till the vsa light came on, from right to left. Kinda hard to explain so message me if you are having the same problem. Maybe I can help?
Makes perfectly good sense to me. Thanks for the update.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.