My paypal account was compromised!! - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #21
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: My paypal account was compromised!!

You never want to put yourself in a position where you lose sight of your CC. I only let waiters, etc. handle cash.
Dishonest employees are in a perfect position to sharpen their skills.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
groupset
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

I'm far less concerned about handing my card in person to someone (e.g.; a waiter) than I am in using it to buy things online - because in a FTF transaction, even though the person could be surreptitiously using a card reader on your card before handing it back to you at least you know who's looking at your card and there are generally other employees and managers around who will hopefully keep them honest. You have no idea who or how many on the other end of a faceless online transaction has access to your credit card info you input on their web site. You have to use credit cards in this era, however, so monitor your accounts and report any suspicious activity on them immediately.
groupset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I monitor my CC accounts via Quicken. I enter the receipts and every few days connect online and download all transactions and match them up.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
k757
The Spoolin' Moderator
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Redrock Pearl / Beige

good tip about getting a mobile code authentication on Paypal purchase. I signed up.

Thanks

k757 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #25
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Using mobile auth. codes, Quicken and other free money managers it is easy to track your charges. You can also set limits on most cards to trigger a warning via phone, email, etc. if there is charge over an expected amount. The tools are out there, you just have to use them and be cautious.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

I've only had one dispute with PP and I was not satisfied with how long it took them to resolve the dispute; especially when it was obvious the person was playing games with me/PP and trying to delay any action against them.

I ordered an item through this person, via a auction site, as soon as I won the item, I payed via PP. It took them a very long time to supply me with a shipping tracking number and the item ended up being shipped to an address in Detroit. Doing some searches, using the power of the internet and such, I was able to figure out the person had the item shipped to themselves and, once they received the item, all communication stopped.

IMHO it took PP too long to address the situation, so I disputed the item with my CC company, and got my money back that way. Long story short, NEVER pay with a savings or checking account through PP. ALWAYS use a CC.

I agree, in these days where anybody can be anybody on the internet, and there are a lot of just plain dishonest people, or just plain crooks out there, PP is a necessary evil. I only use it when absolutely necessary and always pay with a CC.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
Sparkland
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by k757 View Post
good tip about getting a mobile code authentication on Paypal purchase. I signed up.

Thanks
That is first thing I did also, after reading these suggestions. Told my sister and brother about getting the mobile authentication code also.

Thanks

Sparkland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
MikeVT
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2009 RTL
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xridgelinex View Post
I have a separate bank account just for internet purchases that I tied to my PayPal account. If I know I want to make a purchase I add money to that account. Otherwise it sits with the minimum daily balance requirement of a $1.
I do the same ... a separate bank account and credit card for online purchases. I also have a separate account for direct deposit from my employer. Like most their direct deposit works both ways .. ie they can take and give. If they can pull money back for whatever reason. As soon as the money is deposited I move it into unrelated account that they cannot touch.

If I shouldn't have gotten the money I will return it, I just want to OK it first.
MikeVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
Sparkland
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Dark Cherry Pearl

Update: Nothing is resolved as of yet. I called "drugstore.com" and "payapl." Paypal said they could not do anything until drugstore.com actually grabbed the money from my account. It has been a week and it is still showing as a debit pending. Hopefully this works out in my favor. My wife would say that is only way to keep me from spending money!

Merry Christmas!!

Brad

Last edited by Sparkland; 12-15-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Sparkland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #30
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xridgelinex View Post
I have a separate bank account just for internet purchases that I tied to my PayPal account. If I know I want to make a purchase I add money to that account. Otherwise it sits with the minimum daily balance requirement of a $1.
You should do this with all recurring payments that you set up. It's usually free. Just set up a separate checking account with your bank, and fund it with transfers from your "real" account as necessary. You'd have to be nuts to give AT&T or the cable company direct withdrawal access to your primary checking or savings account.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.