Maintneance questions???? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
conour24v
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Maintneance questions????

OK I received an 06 ridgeline with 34k on it it has 36 now drove it around for a month after drivng it from florida to ny. so heres my questions
i want to bring the truck up to date i have no idea of older maintence honda was not very helpfull. at 36k what do i need to do?
how does that whole maintence minder thing work?
the blower makes a funny noise when its on.
when makeing tight turns backing up slippery conditions i seem to get a noise from the rear of the truck brakes look decent all the way around.
im a decent DIY but this honda stuff is a bit different for me.
conour24v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
tpevehouse
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Maintneance questions????

If you have no baseline then do everything fluid related.
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
tpevehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
henni
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2015 SE
Other

perhaps this will help.

henni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Welcome to the ROC conour24v.

In normal service, at 36k you should have had the rear differential serviced by 15k miles, and routine oil changes when the MM calls for it, probably every 6 to 7k miles or so.

I would have already done a tranny fluid change, but the MM won't call for it until in the 40-45k mile range. With a 2006 model, you should replace the brake fluid every 3 years and I also suggest doing the power steering fluid and coolant too with a 6 year old vehicle. Replace the engine air filter and the cabin air filter if they don't look fresh.

All these things are pretty simple DIY-type jobs if you're so inclined. You'll pay about 1/4 as a DIYer vs taking it to the dealer.

Here's a link that provides a nice overview of the MM system:
http://www.rbhonda.com/maintenance-minder-system.htm

Basically, the MM groups maintenance around oil change intervals (OCIs) so you don't have to make repeated trips to the shop. Always let the MM run until at least the 15% alert so you can see what other maintenance is associated with that particular OCI.

Note that when you reset the MM/oil life indicator, it assumes you've done all the associated maintenance and will not remind you of it again until the next time it's due. Also, the MM does not know if you use synthetic or dino oil. I use syn oil and still change per the MM schedule when it gets close to the 0% alert.

The noise you're hearing from the rear when turning suggests the rear diff has not been serviced or needs servicing. You can buy a gallon of VTM-4 fluid (no substitutes) for about $25, a gallon hand pump (keep this dedicated to VTM-4 fluid only) and it will take about 3 quarts to service the rear diff.

I recommend Honda fluids for everything except the engine oil (any 5w-20 that meets the spec) and the transfer assembly (which uses 80w-90 hypoid gear oil).

Here's the normal service schedule which approximates the MM. This schedule calls for some maintenance sooner than the MM (like the rear diff at 15k and again at 30k miles). But the MM will call for the rear diff at the oil change just prior to 15k miles and the next callout will be 30k miles later.

There are plenty of links here for the DIY procedures for everything. Just search. And ask if you have any questions.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
breye
ROC Rank: Junior
2009 DX
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by conour24v View Post
im a decent DIY but this honda stuff is a bit different for me.
Here's some links for you to help with the fluid changes.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...intenance+A136

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...intenance+A136
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
conour24v
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Thank you guys will do all if that stuff and for a last question would a new blower motor Howell also?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Rib
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

There was a recall a couple of years ago on the blower motor or wiring, search for it on this board. Might be worth having a dealer check to see if that was taken care of, I think they mark the VIN tag or something.
Rib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
conour24v
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Ill check at honda in the am when I pick up the fluids.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Rear diff (VTM-4) for SURE if you're getting the noise when turning. Also, do a 3x drain and fill of the transmission using the DW-1 fluid and driving about 50-100 miles in between each change ensuring to engage each gear including reverse. Also, you really need to do a complete brake fluid change as it should be done every 3 years regardless of miles. Can't hurt to do a power steering fluid swap and maybe a coolant change, too.
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
HondaE
2008 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Replace your radiator..... It will fail eventually. The trans and Coolant will mix potentially taking out your trans. Happened to me
HondaE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.