I need TV info/recommendations - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
hwycycle
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

I need TV info/recommendations

My Sony 50" XBR Grand Wega now requires a new rear projection lamp at a cost of over $200. It's around 10 years old.. and has no HDMI inputs which renders it pretty much useless for current technology...

What are you guys currently watching?
What type of specs should I be looking for?
From what I understand, 1080p and 120 Hz are required.
What is the difference between LED and LCD and LED/LCD?

Thanks in advance
Tom
Silver RTL, moonroof, OEM Brushguard, OEM Tube steps, OEM Fog Lights, OEM Rear Mud Guards, OEM Chrome Rims, 2011 RTL rims & tires, OEM Grill Upgrade, OEM Bed Extender, Hidden Hitch, Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, ScanGuage II, Softopper, Viper 5904 alarm/auto start, Interior LED's, LED lightbar.
hwycycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
haar
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: I need TV info/recommendations

50 inch Samsung 7 series LED 120 hz. LED are supposed to use less power and last longer. We've had it 3 years now and really like it other than the fact that they are selling for less than half of what we paid for it then. If your getting a new TV i recommend a LED 1080 120, I also recommend Samsung but look around and whats in your price range. Also check local shops. We got ours from a local guy and he was $200 cheaper than Best Buy and came and set it up as well.
haar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
hwycycle
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Thanks for the info... Actually, I was looking at this Samsung at Costco. It's $1850 - $700. = $1150 with free shipping.

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-....11757600.html

What do you guys think?
Silver RTL, moonroof, OEM Brushguard, OEM Tube steps, OEM Fog Lights, OEM Rear Mud Guards, OEM Chrome Rims, 2011 RTL rims & tires, OEM Grill Upgrade, OEM Bed Extender, Hidden Hitch, Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, ScanGuage II, Softopper, Viper 5904 alarm/auto start, Interior LED's, LED lightbar.
hwycycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Elkhunter
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RTS
Aberdeen Green Metallic

I went Samsung too. It's all personal preference, but to me, Samsung has the brightest and crispest picture.

Full Size Spare, USA-Spec iPod adaptor, Westin powdercoated sidesteps, OEM tow hitch & harness, 2009 camera handle, Back-up camera, 3.6-inch Boyo Monitor (with second camera on rear of teardrop trailer), Trunk carpet, Trunk dividers, Billet Grill, Infinity Reference 1031t Tweeters, Full-time power to front and rear 12V outlets, Fumoto oil drain valve, FIGS G2 hood prop kit. Rhino 360B Hitch step, Rear Splashguards, 255/65/17 MS2's
Elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwycycle View Post
Thanks for the info... Actually, I was looking at this Samsung at Costco. It's $1850 - $700. = $1150 with free shipping.

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-....11757600.html

What do you guys think?
Looks like a nice unit. We've had a "42 Samsung LCD, for about 6 years now, and it has been a great TV. I looked at the Consumer Reports website and they recommend about 30 different Samsung TV's and at least a dozen of them are rated as "Best Buys". So, IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Samsung.

I wanted to go bigger, wanted a 60" and, after doing some research and from some input I got from members here off the ROC, I ended up going with a Samsung plasma 60" Smart/3D TV. It was rated #3 in CR for TV's 60" and above.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I was bitching that my LED TV doesn't even come close to my Plasma TV for true black/color, but I have since grown to enjoy my LED.

Although Plasma does offer a better picture, they are less efficient, heavier and still have that burn in issue if you pause a picture long enough, although it does go away.

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickman View Post
I was bitching that my LED TV doesn't even come close to my Plasma TV for true black/color, but I have since grown to enjoy my LED.

Although Plasma does offer a better picture, they are less efficient, heavier and still have that burn in issue if you pause a picture long enough, although it does go away.
Check out the reviews of the latest Sony LEDs. especially the 850 and 950.
Not cheap but very hot picture! If they had no issue with viewing angle, as all LCD/LED do, it would be no contest.

I still get some IR (image retention) on my Samsung plasma, not as bad as when new, and it disappears much faster.
Plasma is going away in the not too distant future IMO. LED keeps getting better plus OLED and other technologies are right around the corner.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!

Last edited by rollinhonda; 12-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

I'll throw my opinion in the mix just for fun. There is no sense buying a high end HDTV unless you have an excellent signal source. If you watch a lot of Blu-Ray then it matters. The next best signal would be OTA HDTV but much of that is now compressed. DirecTV would be next in line and they do offer a fairly high quality signal, but all of it has been MPEG4 encoded and much is compressed, but not as much as most cable TV. DISH is about the worst... they don't offer any true HDTV... only what is known in the industry as HDTV Lite.

TV's are now throwaway items like microwave ovens. Once out of warranty it's not easy to find anyone interested in working on them and parts are scarce. I've got 11 HDTV's in my house and I'm not sure any are the same brand. I'm not an expert on picture quality, but all of them are very good. I find screen size matters the most to me (I'm watching my 73" now).

The last 3 I bought were Samsung, Vizio, and the last one is something like TCL (two 47" and one 55") and if you de-badged them I doubt I could tell you which is which or that any one is the best.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Ian Brantford
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2009 VP
Sterling Gray Metallic

If this is to be used in an environment that is less than full daylight, you might want to consider a projector. You'll get more size for your dollar, and there is no massive landfill queen to dispose when the inevitable happens. They'll also save floor space and you don't have to worry about anyone throwing video game controllers at the screen.

If you want something that is good for gaming as well as movies, the Optoma GameTime series (current model is GT750E) is the main item of interest. It's not as good as top projectors for contrast and the resolution is only 720p (actually, 1280x800 for compatibility with PC/laptops), but it's very good overall and is even portable with its own speakers so you can take it to the cottage, parties, or whatever. It's under $1000.

For high quality home theater, there is a big selection. Most years, Panasonic's "PT-AE" model is the best overall buy, with the current one being the PT-AE8000U.

If you want to go with a projector, the best single source of information for buyers is http://www.projectorcentral.com .
Ian Brantford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
rollinhonda
ROC Rank: 9k Comma Club
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Actually, Dish is offering more true HD than every before. As a long time user I've seen a steady improvement in that respect. But it's far from perfect.
Plus, the Hopper (or Hoppah..) is an amazing piece of gear. So far they have been able to keep the built-in automatic commercial skipper for prime time. It does not take effect until the next day on a prime time recording. That's how they got around some legal hassles.

I have OTA with an external antenna as well as Dish delivered locals giving me more recording flexibility.

I've compared the satellite locals with same OTA channel, and as expected the signal from the external antenna is superior. But while noticeable, it is not a huge leap by any standard.

If the difference between the signal integrity of Direct fits in the middle of that comparison, I think one would be further ahead using programming and the price structure when deciding which provider is best for your needs, rather than picture quality.

Quality of installation can be a factor also when it comes to overall performance. And I will not even get into customer service which all providers have failed miserably from time to time.

Honda North, Clovis CA Sales 4 Service 3.5
Private Mechs:
Kurata Automotive, Fresno
Charlies Automotive, Clovis

Home of the Free, because of the Brave!
rollinhonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.