Headlight relay mod (possible repeat) - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Fubard
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 RTX
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Headlight relay mod (possible repeat)

Sorry my search revealed little but I thought this was covered at least once in here a while back. If so, a link would shut me up. Thanks!

I want to mod the way my lights react. I don't want the running lights on all the time but to only come on when the parking/headlights come on. I want the fog lights to come on when the vehicle is on regardless of the state of the headlights.

any experience, or know where I can find threads on this?
thanks!
Fubard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
DaveG55
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Headlight relay mod (possible repeat)

I too thought I saw the fog light mod somewhwere on ROC but cannot find it now...
Using google I found this on how to modify an Odyessy, maybe it will give you a direction to try.
(http://www.odyclub.com/tech/fogmod/fogmod.htm)

On my '99 Dodge Neon this mod was really pretty simple. The dash switch for the fogs only recieved power to activate the fog light relay when the parking lights or low beams were on but not when the high beams were on - pretty standard configuration. What I did was locate which wire on the switch was powered when the parking lights were on, the "trigger" wire. I then cut that wire and taped off the end that supplied the 12v when the lights were on. I then took the switch end of the wire and tapped it into a wire that had 12v switched power. This allows me to run the fog lights whenever the ignition switch is on regardless of the position of the headlight switch.

I don't know about the running lights but I'd think you'ld be able to do something similar, but in reverse, would work.
Maybe just locate the "trigger" wire for the running lights and the fog lights and trade them out...
2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.

Last edited by DaveG55; 12-11-2012 at 09:37 AM.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Elkhunter
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RTS
Aberdeen Green Metallic

Here's the one I remember..

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...?t=9889&page=2

Full Size Spare, USA-Spec iPod adaptor, Westin powdercoated sidesteps, OEM tow hitch & harness, 2009 camera handle, Back-up camera, 3.6-inch Boyo Monitor (with second camera on rear of teardrop trailer), Trunk carpet, Trunk dividers, Billet Grill, Infinity Reference 1031t Tweeters, Full-time power to front and rear 12V outlets, Fumoto oil drain valve, FIGS G2 hood prop kit. Rhino 360B Hitch step, Rear Splashguards, 255/65/17 MS2's
Elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
DaveG55
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post
That's the one I remember as well.
If my RL had the auto-off feature I'd certainly wire it so that still worked. But if it did not then, in the mod in those links where the fogs are wired to work independantly of the auto-off feature, if you tapped into a switched 12V source rather than a constant 12V the fogs would go on and off with the ignition.
I still wonder if the "trigger" wires for the running lights and the fog lights could just be switched. I think that may accomplish all that the OP wants.
2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Fubard
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 RTX
Nimbus Gray Metallic

ahhh, badass, thats exaaaactly what I was looking for. I actually want the fogs independent. Whats NOT on that forum, is the running lights. I like to be able to run the motor n stay warm and not tease everyone looking for a parking spot w/o having to turn the motor off n back on again. I might just ghetto in a lil kill switch for that.

Another similar mod in the works is using an OEM foglight switch/harness to wire in the aftermarket flood lamps on the grill guard.

Now that the semesters out, I can finally get started on some fun lil car projects. Once that starts, I'll of course post my findings

Thanks for the help!
Fubard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
Elkhunter
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2007 RTS
Aberdeen Green Metallic

If using the switch, you may want this one at some point

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...9&postcount=10

Full Size Spare, USA-Spec iPod adaptor, Westin powdercoated sidesteps, OEM tow hitch & harness, 2009 camera handle, Back-up camera, 3.6-inch Boyo Monitor (with second camera on rear of teardrop trailer), Trunk carpet, Trunk dividers, Billet Grill, Infinity Reference 1031t Tweeters, Full-time power to front and rear 12V outlets, Fumoto oil drain valve, FIGS G2 hood prop kit. Rhino 360B Hitch step, Rear Splashguards, 255/65/17 MS2's
Elkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.