Oil Consumption - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
halfcar609
ROC Rank: Freshman
2010 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Bali Blue Pearl

Oil Consumption

I have a question for you guys, I have had 2 RL's a 2007 and a 2010. On both of these trucks my oil consumption between oil changes was minuscule. I now own a 2011 Pilot (I know, I hated to trade... needed the extra passenger space and the neighborhood prohibited trucks too!!!)

My problem is that this vehicle is using at least a quart or more between oil changes ( about 7k to 8k by the MM). What is everyone's experience on the newer trucks. This Pilot has over 42K miles, and I traded the 2010 RL at just over 30K.

Any ideas, is this normal for the newer motors? CSIMO any ideas?
halfcar609 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Re: Oil Consumption

Despite what others may tell you all engines burn oil. If they didn't then the indicated oil level would actually increase over time due to the addition of dirt and other contaminants.

They've shortened piston skirts and changed the piston rings in an attempt to lower friction in the newer engines. I've heard some references to cold engine piston slap, but not higher oil consumption.

I can't remember what Honda considers "normal" oil consumption, but I know it's a very high amount (1 quart per thousand miles rings a bell, but I can't say for sure).

Some engines burn more oil than others but I don't consider that in itself a direct indication of engine life. I'm approaching 170,000 miles on my Ridgeline and I use about 1/2 quart (indicated) between oil changes (about 7500 miles). I'm happy with that. If I saw my oil use significantly increase I'd get rid of it as fast as I could (same with a significant drop in MPG).

In your case a quart per 7500 miles is not unreasonable... although I'd watch it carefully.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
halfcar609
ROC Rank: Freshman
2010 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Bali Blue Pearl

Thanks for the reply. I too found the amount used between oil changes excessive compared to my experienced with the RL.

I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it gets worst, I may need to take alternative actions.
halfcar609 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Kootbiker
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2009 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

My Ridgeline uses about 100cc every 1000km.
Kootbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
chiph
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Steel Blue Metallic

Csimo - I also seem to recall Honda saying that 1qt per 1000 miles as acceptable. Me personally? No way would I think that was normal, and would be screaming about getting it fixed.

Halfcar609 - Your neighborhood doesn't allow trucks? Did you have it rigged up for commercial use? (signs, ladder rack, etc)? Because if it were stock -- WTF? That would never fly anywhere in Texas...

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Civic LX, 2006 Ridgeline RTL, 2000 CR-V EX, 1991 Accord EX
chiph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Car Compulsive
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2012 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph View Post
Csimo - I also seem to recall Honda saying that 1qt per 1000 miles as acceptable. Me personally? No way would I think that was normal, and would be screaming about getting it fixed.

Halfcar609 - Your neighborhood doesn't allow trucks? Did you have it rigged up for commercial use? (signs, ladder rack, etc)? Because if it were stock -- WTF? That would never fly anywhere in Texas...

Chip H.
The GM 3.6 engine is nortorious for high oil consumption causing oil starvation and timing chain failure. GM's solution was to shorten the scheduled oil change mileage.

Many folks in southern Florida used to live in Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states where no truck or full-size van rules were acceptable means of excluding vehicles used for burglaries or owned by low income persons.
'05 S2000
Car Compulsive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiph View Post
I agree with you, but Honda doesn't. They have a long, drawn out process to measure oil consumption. You have to have the dealer check the oil each week and they are the only ones to add oil, etc.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
WNY PAT
ROC Rank: Senior
2013 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

My 2011 Pilot has not burned any oil to date and neither has the RL. My 2007 Sierra DID burn oil at a rate I was not happy with (quart every 1500 miles or so). As Cismo said, manufacturers will perform oil consumption analysis at the dealers. The GMC dealer asked me to return every 500 miles, I would have to park it for 15 minutes and then they would check it. GM's opinion was that mine was normal consumption but would not extend my warranty on pollution control system / sensors , catalytic so at 80K miles I traded it in. The only way I'd buy another GM truck is if I needed a diesel for the business and their was the cheapest. Otherwise, thanks but no thanks. The GMC cylinder deactivation system (AFM) is believed to be the culprit and usage increases when towing and during highway trips at higher speeds. I could actually smell the oil burning after I would stop if I had a trailer hooked up. Disappointed to say the least....
2012 RL RTS (Sold)
WNY PAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.