rack or basket on a tonneau cover - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
KSPhoto
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: rack or basket on a tonneau cover

Another option, which I employed, is to get the Van Tech rails that come with their big rack system and then install Yakima or Thule landing pads. This is a very stable system, and has the added benefit of providing secure points for unlimited tie-down eye hooks. Here are a couple of photos.
Attached Images

KSPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
loginfailed
ROC Rank: Senior
2007 RTS
Steel Blue Metallic

Yes, the same can be done with one pair of Yakima tracks and 2 pairs of Landing Pad #1.

Last edited by loginfailed; 11-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.
loginfailed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
monster1100
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

That setup with the tracks mounted like that on the bed rails is brilliant. That is exactly the setup I was looking for. I just had no idea how to get it done or where to start. Now I do.
Thanks.
monster1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
KSPhoto
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster1100 View Post
That setup with the tracks mounted like that on the bed rails is brilliant. That is exactly the setup I was looking for. I just had no idea how to get it done or where to start. Now I do.
Thanks.
Wouldn't it be great if Honda would include a securely anchored track system on the rails as a standard feature on the next generation Ridgeline. I think the VanTech tracks are so well done that Honda could even just adopt theirs.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
monster1100
2012 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

My only question or concern (having never installed a track type system) is the anti theft factor of that setup. Looking at the photo above with the silver ridgeline it looks like the silver bolts used to anchor the system down are fully exposed. Looking at the instructions for installing the Yakima tracks appears to have moutning hardware in plain sight. On a roof that would not be an issue, but on the bed rails a person can see exactly whats there.
I know that nothing is theft proof, if someone wants to take something they will figure out a way. The other option of installing the towers directly on bed rails seems safer, but the versatility of the track to accomodate different lengths or sizes of accessories is champion.
Any input?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
KSPhoto
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster1100 View Post
My only question or concern (having never installed a track type system) is the anti theft factor of that setup. Looking at the photo above with the silver ridgeline it looks like the silver bolts used to anchor the system down are fully exposed. Looking at the instructions for installing the Yakima tracks appears to have moutning hardware in plain sight. On a roof that would not be an issue, but on the bed rails a person can see exactly whats there.
I know that nothing is theft proof, if someone wants to take something they will figure out a way. The other option of installing the towers directly on bed rails seems safer, but the versatility of the track to accomodate different lengths or sizes of accessories is champion.
Any input?
If you're talking about someone stealing the tracks/rails only, I would say yes it's definitely possible. But that would be a lot of work and risk for not that much worth. Plus, they would only be worth anything at all to another RL owner and we know all RL owners are honest, hard-working people.

If you're talking about someone un-installing the rails so they can steal whatever valuables are attached to the rails, I would say you could lock everything to your interior tie-downs with a good strong cable, much like you would if you were carrying bikes in the bed, or whatever. But of course that would be harder if you have a hard bed cover like I do. So I get your point that it's not a totally self-lockable system like a Thule or Yakima roof rack. But still, I don't see that as much of a risk. It's certainly not going to bother me.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
monster1100
2012 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

Thanks KS!
I've got the fibermax cover on mine, and planned on leaving the Yakima tracks in place even when not in use. Maybe leaving the towers with locks in place as well without the crossbars would do the trick.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.