Follow the MM for Oil Change - Debate goes on - Page 4 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #31
Timberdog
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RT
Other

Re: Follow the MM for Oil Change - Debate goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimo View Post
To be honest I think the dealer is probably the very WORST place you can have your oil changed.

A dealer does not use a mechanic to change your oil. It's just some "tech" they hired that has little or no training or supervision. Any mechanic working for time wouldn't do an oil change (or they would quit the next day). I have audited dealers (not Honda) and can tell you that a significant percentage of cars in for an oil change are just run thru the car wash and the dipstick checked... no oil changed.

There are no system wide processes that dealers are required to follow. I'm not a fan of Jiffy Lube or other quick lube places, but at least they have policies and procedures that employees are supposed to follow. Normally at such places there are at least 2 people involved in the process and both would have to want to screw you over. It does happen.

The oil you get at such places is very, very low end bulk oil. Most dealers (Honda included) buy the cheapest bulk oil they can find (no they don't use Honda oil). There's no telling what you get. Jiffy Lube uses Pennzoil, but just because the bulk oil they use is Pennzoil doesn't mean it's the same quality as the Pennzoil you would buy off the shelf. There's a reason that dealers and quick lube places still recommend 3,000 mile oil changes... because they use the absolute cheapest junk oil they can buy and slap on a can that barely qualifies as an oil filter.

At least at most quick lube places you can watch what's happening to your car. At the dealer the kid drives around the back to the lube bay (which is usually where you can't see it... on purpose) and you have no idea what (if anything) was done to your car.

As for trusting the Maintenance Minder. If you use a good quality oil and filter I'm fully confident that you'll get good results (I've followed the MM on my truck for 160,000 miles). But if you use junk oil and filters then I wouldn't expect you to get very good results.

I normally change my own oil. I have a Fumoto valve which helps, but it normally takes me less than 10 minutes. You don't have to jack up the vehicle at all (just turn the front wheels hard right and you have perfect access to the oil filter). When I do get lazy I take it to Walmart... BUT I supply both the oil and filter, and they only charge me $10 labor. I notice that they do have pretty good process control... everything is checked by at least 2 people.

Never trust a dealer, quick oil change, or anywhere else to do your oil changes unless you know what oil and filter you're getting... and watch them to make sure they do the work.
My dealer uses honda oil and filters. I to follow the maintenance minder. If it doesn't work why is it there?
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
My dealer uses honda oil and filters. I to follow the maintenance minder. If it doesn't work why is it there?
What is your question? The MM?

Regarding Honda filters... the A02 filters are just rebadged Frams. In particular, the Honda A02 filter is a cheaply made filter with cardboard endcaps. Not recommended.

In contrast, the Honda A01 filter is made by Filtech and is a quality filter. So if you use Honda to do your service, insist on the A01 filter.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #33
laserguy
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Other

For the ones that don't drive enough per year I wonder what the equivalent of say, keeping a car in idle mode for 30 min, would be in miles driven, since the engine is running.

Any thoughts on this?
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #34
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
For the ones that don't drive enough per year I wonder what the equivalent of say, keeping a car in idle mode for 30 min, would be in miles driven, since the engine is running.

Any thoughts on this?
I know on diesel engines it's about 1 hour of idle equals about 25 miles of driving time. That's why filter changes are miles, hours, fuel used, or time, whichever comes first.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #35
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfarm09 View Post
I know on diesel engines it's about 1 hour of idle equals about 25 miles of driving time. That's why filter changes are miles, hours, fuel used, or time, whichever comes first.
Great thanks for sharing that. Maybe the ones that don't drive much could idle the engine and take that in to account for the oil changes.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #36
Rockwood
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Billet Silver / Gray

My mechanic lets me hang out with him while he is working on my cars!
Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #37
csimo
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfarm09 View Post
Diesels idle much, much leaner than gasoline engines. A diesel engine can idle with a air to fuel ratio as lean as 100:1, but with a gasoline engine we're pretty much stuck with stoich (14.7:1). GDI offers an opportunity to run out of stoich but when running gasoline at even 16:1 results in very high EGT's that things start to melt and self-destruct.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
csimo
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
I don't think I said not to follow the Maintenance Minder... on the contrary I believe you should follow it, BUT that means you need to use quality products. It's your obligation to find out if the oil being used API Certified and the proper viscosity, and that a quality filter is being used.

Just because you have your oil changed at a Honda dealership doesn't mean much of anything. Honda doesn't make oil but they do offer oil with their brand on it. I can't say what your dealer does, but I've been in hundreds or maybe even thousands of dealers and I'd say well over 99% use bulk oil. They're businesses just like the instant lube places and whoever buys the oil usually has no idea about any requirements other than the cheapest price they can find.

As for oil filters... Honda has one I'd use without hesitation, but they also have one that is plain junk.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #39
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimo View Post
Diesels idle much, much leaner than gasoline engines. A diesel engine can idle with a air to fuel ratio as lean as 100:1, but with a gasoline engine we're pretty much stuck with stoich (14.7:1). GDI offers an opportunity to run out of stoich but when running gasoline at even 16:1 results in very high EGT's that things start to melt and self-destruct.
What does this mean Joe? Are you saying that we should avoid idling gasoline engines because it's not worth it or it can be very harmful?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #40
csimo
2014 SE
White/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
What does this mean Joe? Are you saying that we should avoid idling gasoline engines because it's not worth it or it can be very harmful?
I was just pointing out that some people like to let their engine idle for long periods of time. Some justify this by noting that it was a common practice for truckers to idle diesel engines for hours and hours. This practice is rapidly being eliminated and is even illegal in some areas.

A diesel can idle for long periods of time without using a lot of fuel. They are very energy efficient at idle. A gasoline engine is not efficient at idle and due to conditions such as cylinder washing of unburned fuel can result in high engine wear at idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.