How NOT to use a torque wrench - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

//-->
RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: How NOT to use a torque wrench

Ouch! Such is life in the school of hard knocks!

Hopefully, some of us are smart enough to learn from other's mistakes!

... note to self...

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Parsec
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Wow, I had my issues too, but I really take my time, I'm so slow if someone sees me working on my car the thoughts will be I'm crazy. Maybe I learned my lessons.

About 7 months ago I had an issue working with a straight blade xacto knife, 2nd time this happened to me, first time stitches on both sides of the finger being lucky not to have nerve damage, ant the last one, just a cut, I needed stitches and got sick from the shock but had no med insurance and I took care of it myself with superglue and it worked great, no noticeable scar,specially under where it hurts the most. I sure there will not be third time even though now I have insurance.
Cuts are the worst. I don't mind getting banged up and bruised, but I absolutely loathe knives
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
groupset
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
I took care of it myself with superglue and it worked great, no noticeable scar,specially under where it hurts the most.
That's pretty bada$$ right there!
groupset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Well I have like a dent on my finger because it happened near the tip bottom of it.

The super glue goes over the cut after being cleaned,and not in between the skin though, just thought I should clear that up. It was a very clean but deep cut, glad It worked.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
OldNorske
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
When tightening a torque wrench, set your feet/knees firmly on the ground and pull the torque wrench. DO NOT PUSH!

Here is the backstory: I went outside to tighten my wife's lugnuts today since I put on her winter wheels a couple weeks ago. As I was pushing the torque wrench down and the socket slipped off the bolt. My jaw caught her fender flares with 105 foot lbs of force, causing me to collapse to the ground and see stars for a few seconds. I think I also dislocated it cause it's still hurting when I try to eat 1 hour later.
All jokes aside...Parsec, is your jaw okay now? If not, I hope you see a doctor.
OldNorske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Nuke83
2010 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Alabaster Silver Metallic

And to add insult to injury (literally), it sounds like the torque wrench slammed into the ground at the same 105 ft-lbs that your jaw took. Probably trashed the wrench, or at the very least, you'll need to get it calibrated as I'm sure it's no longer reliable.
My Mods - Peragon Tonneau Cover, DIY Tailgate Lock, WeatherTech Digital Front Mats, Wired Backup Camera, Sportwing Side Moulding, Infinity 1031t Tweeter mod, Romik Black Runningboards, 2012 Grill, Stampede Custom Color Matched Low Profile Hood Deflector, Fumoto Oil Valve
Pending Mods -
Came with - Front & Rear splash guards, AVS Front & Rear In-Channel Ventshades, Honda Silver Roof Rack

Nuke83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Parsec
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

I actually felt much better this morning, just a little sore now. Thanks for asking.

I wonder how I'm supposed to recalibrate a torque wrench, or if it's even something I can do myself. I guess I'll google it!
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Well I have like a dent on my finger because it happened near the tip bottom of it.

The super glue goes over the cut after being cleaned,and not in between the skin though, just thought I should clear that up. It was a very clean but deep cut, glad It worked.
I use super glue when I have dry air skin cracks in my thumbs. I put it in the crack and hold it together for a short time. It works great!

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
OldNorske
2006 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I actually felt much better this morning, just a little sore now. Thanks for asking.

I wonder how I'm supposed to recalibrate a torque wrench, or if it's even something I can do myself. I guess I'll google it!
I think auto parts stores can do it for you. worth a phone call to check.
OldNorske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.