Head Unit Replacement Confusion - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Head Unit Replacement Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccone View Post
Laserguy...yep I figured that so cutting near the speaker would save a little so I dont have to run speaker wire all the way back to the HU area to connect the sub. On the other hand I have to run the other wires back up there so WTHeck right? May as well take all the wires back to the front and cut the speaker wire there going back to the sub.

If you come up with anything more let me know.

I did look at the manual which is a little tricky to download from JVC but now that I found it I am also not sure I can have full function of my iPhone and Bluetooth at the same time. Looks like the audio from the Bluetooth goes in to the RCA jacks that the iPhone would use but the iPhone would use the video input. Im sooooo confused. LOL Hate that there is nothing showing that one can use both without losing some kind of functionality. But that is a different issue Im not that worried about.
Up to you if you want to waste wire going all the way to the HU to the sub when the amp will be 2 feet away from the sub.

I'm not familiar with external blue tooth devices, mine mine is internal in the HU i need to check if it allows me to check other functions on my phone while on a call, it should.
For the amp, there are some metal sections where you could screw wood without drilling all the way, avoid drilling all the way. Or use glue or velcro to place some wood on the wall then screw the amp there, there is a lot room and option if you are willing to remove the factory black cover
Attached Images

Last edited by laserguy; 12-30-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: ON RED
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
amccone
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Up to you if you want to waste wire going all the way to the HU to the sub when the amp will be 2 feet away from the sub.

I'm not familiar with external blue tooth devices, mine mine is internal in the HU i need to check if it allows me to check other functions on my phone while on a call, it should.
For the amp, there are some metal sections where you could screw wood without drilling all the way, avoid drilling all the way. Or use glue or velcro to place some wood on the wall then screw the amp there, there is a lot room and option if you are willing to remove the factory black cover
That's very revealing thanks. I guess I wasn't very clear on my question about where to run my speaker wire (direct to sub or back up to the front). Makes sense to go straight to the speaker like you said.

I think I'll be good on BT and iPhone. I called to make sure so placed the order yesterday and now I'll just sit out on the sidewalk and wait for my favorite brown truck to pull up. :-)
Thanks
amccone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
tpevehouse
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

I sunk 2 screw through the back firewall. I haven't noticed any leaks and there is dynamat on both sides of the firewall when I screwed through it.
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
tpevehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
That's very revealing thanks. I guess I wasn't very clear on my question about where to run my speaker wire (direct to sub or back up to the front). Makes sense to go straight to the speaker like you said.

I think I'll be good on BT and iPhone. I called to make sure so placed the order yesterday and now I'll just sit out on the sidewalk and wait for my favorite brown truck to pull up. :-)
Thanks
Great, that looks like a nice DD HU, and has good audio features.

I am still puzzled about the speaker wires you are talking about. If you are not installing an amp for the door speakers, then you just need to solder or connect the wires from the new harness to the HU speaker outputs to use the factory speaker wiring, all behind the HU. I would do it at home before I install it.

You only need to connect 3 wires besides the sub speaker and sub's RCAs (17 ft). Power from the battery to the amp, ground should be less than 3 feet to the amp ( I would use one of the seat belts bolts, I would use a copper ring terminal with a 3/8 hole if the hole is bigger you can always drill it bigger. The last wire is the remote wire to the HU (no factory one). RCA's on the passenger side, power and remote wire on the driver's side, you could install the remote wire on the passenger side but not the power with the RCA's.

Good luck, maybe post some shots once you place the amp back there if you can.

It is so much easier just installing a sub's amp than dealing with 6 channels, 6 RCA's and speaker wires.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
amccone
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Great, that looks like a nice DD HU, and has good audio features.

I am still puzzled about the speaker wires you are talking about. If you are not installing an amp for the door speakers, then you just need to solder or connect the wires from the new harness to the HU speaker outputs to use the factory speaker wiring, all behind the HU. I would do it at home before I install it.

You only need to connect 3 wires besides the sub speaker and sub's RCAs (17 ft). Power from the battery to the amp, ground should be less than 3 feet to the amp ( I would use one of the seat belts bolts, I would use a copper ring terminal with a 3/8 hole if the hole is bigger you can always drill it bigger. The last wire is the remote wire to the HU (no factory one). RCA's on the passenger side, power and remote wire on the driver's side, you could install the remote wire on the passenger side but not the power with the RCA's.

Good luck, maybe post some shots once you place the amp back there if you can.

It is so much easier just installing a sub's amp than dealing with 6 channels, 6 RCA's and speaker wires.
See I am confusing. The amp is strictly for the sub. Speaker wire I'm talking about is the one leaving the amp to the sub only. And I plan to do that bridged. If I have learned anything from what I read, that gives me both channels to the sub. The other speakers are just getting connected through the harness that connects to the HU.

Have you done the parking brake bypass? Can I bring that up here? I think if I'm lucky I can just ground the green wire or splice the green parking brake wire into the stereo ground. That way my passengers can watch DVD while I drive. I'm not stupid and won't watch. But I can listen.

Hope I cleared up that and didn't add to the confusion. Dang truck still not here. I can't wait. I'll take some pics once I get going. Hope it's this Saturday.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
tpevehouse
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

In some cases you can just ground the wire to the frame to clear the parking break lock. There are lots of notches and holes that you can bolt to on the glove box frame. Works great. Some HUs need a relay you can buy at any Radio shack. The relay cycles the power on, then off to trick the HU into thinking the parking break is on. I've been told that some HUs have been made to where they actually need a switch because they have to be cycled several times to work around the relay everyone uses. I haven't actually seen any of those HUs though. Work them down one by one and see which one works. There are lots of videos that explain how to do them.

If it helps, I don't know anyone that hasn't worked around the parking lock.
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
amccone
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpevehouse View Post
In some cases you can just ground the wire to the frame to clear the parking break lock. There are lots of notches and holes that you can bolt to on the glove box frame. Works great. Some HUs need a relay you can buy at any Radio shack. The relay cycles the power on, then off to trick the HU into thinking the parking break is on. I've been told that some HUs have been made to where they actually need a switch because they have to be cycled several times to work around the relay everyone uses. I haven't actually seen any of those HUs though. Work them down one by one and see which one works. There are lots of videos that explain how to do them.

If it helps, I don't know anyone that hasn't worked around the parking lock.
Yeah I've seen lots of the videos but none with my exact HU I'm getting. If I need a relay is there a particular one or just a 4 post 12 volt?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Yeah I've seen lots of the videos but none with my exact HU I'm getting. If I need a relay is there a particular one or just a 4 post 12 volt?

I would search for "DVD bypass", there are a few threads about that, not all units are the same. I am sure many members can help you with this, quite a few had JVC's DVD units installed.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
tpevehouse
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

I just had to ground my HU. You'll have to work them done one by one starting with the easiest. Hold the exposed ground wire to the glovebox frame and play a DVD. if it works then there you go, If not you need a small four pin relay.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
amccone
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Got all my stuff today!!! WOOHOOO!! Still have to wait till Saturday to install it. I'm freaking excited but apparently in this house I'm the only one. I know youALL know what I mean. As Flounder said in Animal House, " Oh boy is this gunna be GREAT!!!!". LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.