POLL: OEM Sub & 6" Powered Bazooka Sub - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

View Poll Results: OEM Sub & 6" Powered Bazooka Sub
Sounds like a good idea 1 6.25%
Sounds lik a bad idea 3 18.75%
Better to just remove the OEM, and use the Baziooka 10 62.50%
Better to remove and use 2 Bazooka powered Subs 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

POLL: OEM Sub & 6" Powered Bazooka Sub

What do you guys think????

Seeing that there is room for 6" Powered Bazooka sub on the other side of inside of the seat, I couldn't think of a reason not to run both options.

First of all with the Powered Bazooka's, you can run them through line level (no amp) setups, and with powered setups as they accept both types of inputs.

Although I find the OEM Sub acceptable, a little more power is always nice!

I know I will lose a bit of the OEM Subs power since I would be splitting it, but.......

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
hofffam
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Re: POLL: OEM Sub & 6" Powered Bazooka Sub

Running two dissimilar subs is almost always a bad idea. It is certain that the two would not be completely in phase because of different signal paths and amplification. The two subs have different frequency response.

I am not as positive about Bazooka subs as some here. I think most of them sound tubby and have loose bass. Compared to no subwoofer I agree they are better. I would rather keep the OEM sub and use a better amp than replace it with a 6 inch Bazooka. An 8 inch Bazooka might be a small improvement.

More is rarely better.

Last edited by hofffam; 01-08-2013 at 02:57 PM.
hofffam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
laserguy
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Other

Yeah! and at the same time, how are you going to connect both with just the 5th channel from the factory HU?

Splitting the signal would be a bad idea. You will need to use the rear door channels to connect the bazooka and you will loose the rear channels for bass.

If you do that you may get away with setting the bazooka crossovers above 100Hz just to compensate and not sending the same frequencies to both subs. You may like it, but you will loose the rear channels unless you hook up the fronts and rear in series, but then the OUT PUT LEVEL. would lower. Right Hofffam?
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Rickman
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Thumbs up Re: POLL: OEM Sub & 6" Powered Bazooka Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofffam View Post
Running two dissimilar subs is almost always a bad idea. It is certain that the two would be completely in phase because of different signal paths and amplification. The two subs have different frequency response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Yeah! and at the same time, how are you going to connect both with just the 5th channel from the factory HU?
2 great responses.

Me thinks, it would be better to remove the OEM Sub, and put in 2 Bazooka's.

This way, I could still use the powered OEM Sub speaker wire with Bazooka, and you can also send the signal from one bazooka to another without much loss. Also having 2 Subs should sound really, really good compared to the OEM setup, and all this while out of sight!

Thanks for your input, and anymore is welcome!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickman View Post
2 great responses.

Me thinks, it would be better to remove the OEM Sub, and put in 2 Bazooka's.

This way, I could still use the powered OEM Sub speaker wire with Bazooka, and you can also send the signal from one bazooka to another without much loss. Also having 2 Subs should sound really, really good compared to the OEM setup, and all this while out of sight!

Thanks for your input, and anymore is welcome!
I do not know much about the bazookas, I searched and there are many sizes even non amplified versions.

Okay, we know based on this http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...1&postcount=11 that one fits, I do not know if another one will fit next to the other one. Assuming it does, you have 3 options

1. 2 amplified bazookas at 100 watts each class AB amp. $150 each
2. 1 amplified bazooka with class D amp 200 W rms. $189
3. 2 non amplified bazookas at $89.00 200w rms each(300 peak handling (like 4 versions with different impedance and dual coils)

With this in mind, and the cash you will be spending, the best option needs to be selected based on Bass, Volume (output level) etc. I am not the guy to answer what the best option is.

The $189.00 option may be what you want for the $$$$ but it will be a question for Hofffam if 2 six inch bazookas at 100 watts (2 ohm load each) each will provide better sound than a single 6 with a better 200 w class D amp. $189 vs $300 with the 2 100 watt ones.

I looked at the specs and the single amplified ones at 100W run at 2 ohms.
The 200 watt amplified one runs at 4 ohms ( much better specs) claimed 100db spl.

The non amplified ones I saw are 4 Ohms and with a good amp this could be the best option in my opinion because they handle 200 watts each. Meaning 400 watts total. For around $300.00 including the B Acoustics amp for $110. 400 watts RMS, wiring them for a 2 load ohm and the amp driving 200 watts to each sub. Otherwise just go with the single amplified 200W at $189.00. And forget the two self amplified 100 watt ones.

I know Hofffam will say, forget it not worth it. You just need to know what will give you the most bass and loud output based on those options and then you decide on the $$$.

The question is, what is better 2 six inch subs at 100 watts each 2 ohm each class ab amps?

Or 1 single 6 inch sub putting out 200 watts class D amp?

I would like to know the answer to that, although if if was me, I would go with the 2 non amplified version $300 including amp option, if I wanted 2 subs. Although the design being a 6.5 inch driver may have limitations as far as power handling with a decent amp and reproducing the lower frequencies.

No clue if the 2 amplified subs, can be connected together, I read no pre amp outputs specified on the sonicelectroniz link, this may not be an option, I would call Bazooka to find out.

Good Luck Rick!
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
hofffam
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

I don't pay too much attention to the power ratings of powered subs. A sub with x watts at 2 ohms doesn't tell us how loud it plays because we don't know the efficiency of the sub itself.

A six inch driver though cannot generate much deep bass or much loud bass.

A Bazooka is a vented (ported) sub in a unique package. The port is kind of "outside" the cabinet instead of completely enclosed like most vented subs. Since the cabinet is a long tube, they can use a long port, which allows tuning that might not be easy in a traditional cabinet. You could achieve the same thing with a long box, but Bazooka can save money by using inexpensive plastic tubing (which is inherently strong).

If the Bazooka used a premium (long xmax, stiff cone, etc.) 6 inch driver, it might perform better than it can with its inexpensive parts.

That's why I have my doubts that a six inch Bazooka will outperform the OEM sub, which is also a vented system.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Heli ATP
ROC Rank: Junior
2011 RTS
Crystal Black Pearl

For me the 6" Bazooka is an improvement over the OEM sub. However the bass from the Bazooka is pretty muddled. It has alot of volume just not that crisp. I listen to alot of jazz and was told the 8" has better sound quality for Jazz, but I didn't want to lose space under the seat. I wouldn't want to add a second 6", as it is my back seat passenger can feel the bass in their back. While tht 6" is an improvement over the OEM, it won't win any contests in my opinion. Maybe someone with different music tastes could chime in?
Peragon Cover, 2012 Grille, OEM Fog Lights, Romik Running Board SideSteps, AVS Hood & Window Deflectors, WeatherTech Mats, Wetokole Seat Covers, Pilot Conversation Mirror, Gentex Autodimming Mirror W/ Homelink & Compass, Audiovox ASH300 back-up warning system. JBL GTO18T Tweeters. JBL GT6-6 Door Speakers. DIY Tailgate Lock. Kenwood DNX9990HD with CMOS-310 Camera and dual 7" headrest monitors, Bazooka 6" amplified Bass Tube.

Heli ATP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Reens
2007 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

idk how the bazooka subs preform so i cant compare but i thought i would show you what i did. i got a hideaway sub by kicker. they are 150 watt. i know they might be a bit pricey compared but the size is a plus.
Attached Images

Reens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Rickman
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli ATP View Post
For me the 6" Bazooka is an improvement over the OEM sub. However the bass from the Bazooka is pretty muddled. It has alot of volume just not that crisp. I listen to alot of jazz and was told the 8" has better sound quality for Jazz, but I didn't want to lose space under the seat. I wouldn't want to add a second 6", as it is my back seat passenger can feel the bass in their back. While tht 6" is an improvement over the OEM, it won't win any contests in my opinion. Maybe someone with different music tastes could chime in?
For sure the 8" will be much better. I had the 8" in my CRV and it was short of awesome for it's size, and I had a 6" in my del Sol which was decent!

No matter what Sub you put back there, your passengers are gonna feel it, so 1 or 2 Bazooka's won't make a difference.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
COOPER_ABQ
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

MTC: At my advanced age, I still find myself listening to what others would refer to as annoying music (trance, house, hip hop, techno, anything with heavy bass and some synthesizers), that being said, the OEM sub just didnt cut it, so I switched to the (no longer in business) eD sub, sounded great, but it blew within 2-3 weeks, so, went with the 8" Bazooka sub, and Ive never looked back! Now granted its not competition sound but it sure rattles the car windows of other people around me, and I dont have to crank up the OEM HU to 25 and 30 like before, just getting to 7 and the kids are telling me to turn it down! Cheaper if your on a budget with huge improvement in sound and highly recommended. I wouldnt do two Bazookas, unless you dont care much for the underseat storage, again, MTC.
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.