Finally eD sq-10 behind the seat install completed *pics and box comparison shots* - Page 27 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #261
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Finally eD sq-10 behind the seat install completed *pics and box comparison shots

Wire Gauge Recommended
Maximum Fuse Size
00 awg 400 amps
0 awg 325 amps
1 awg 250 amps
2 awg 200 amps
4 awg 125 amps
6 awg 80 amps
8 awg 50 amps
10 awg 30 amps
12 awg 20 amps
14 awg 15 amps
16 awg 7.5 amps
These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

The fuses on the amps mean nothing manufacturers put fuses for protection of the amp, it has nothing to do with the power wire and the heat it actually generates.

The chart above shows the max fuse rating for a given wire gauge, it is okay to use a smaller fuse, I have a 100 amp fuse for my 4 gauge wire, my amp has 2 thirty amp fuses.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #262
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I have always known it to be a rule of thumb to match the amplifier's total fuse rating with the inline fuse rating. My amp is very small and has a 25 amp fuse. I put a 30 amp AGU fuse inline because I couldn't find a 25 amp AGU. As far as the gauge of wire, if the amp calls for 8 gauge, use at least that. There's no harm in using bigger wire, but don't use anything smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #263
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Finally eD sq-10 behind the seat install completed *pics and box comparison shots

Yeah that rule has been used in the past.

I have no idea, at some point it is a choice as long as the fuse is not rated higher than that chart and it is not lower than one gauge smaller max rating or lower than one step below on the chart it should be okay. In other words the minimum fuse amp rating would be the highest of the immediate lower gauge wire than the one being used.

Example 4 gauge- 125 max minimum 80 amps

8 gauge 50 amps max. 30 amps minimum

That is just how I would do it and not go by the amplifier fuses
Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #264
tpevehouse
ROC Rank: Senior
2009 RT
Dark Cherry Pearl

So my 60 is a tad to big for the wire. Oh well, i'm sure ill get around to changing it at some point.
Sony XAV601BT, Polk DB coaxial/sail tweets, Dynamat, V-LED Ext./Int./Dash, GE NightHawk Platinum, Plastidiped Steels/Grill, Duralast Platinum AGM, OEM Tow Harness/Rear Mud Guards, Weathertech F&R Mats/Visors/Bug Shield.
tpevehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #265
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Maybe, yeah if you want to feel better. I searched on many sites and all kits with 8 gauge wire come with 50-40 amp fuses. That tells us something. The old way is not quite the right way. I was lucky to steal a Tsunami 4 gauge wiring kit for $19 a couple of years ago on amazon, it came with a 60 amp manl fuse, but it was probably an old stock, all new 4 gauge kits come with 80 amp fuses.

Let's not get off topic too much guys, this thread is about the box.

What is the update with the Box Sparky? the amp should arrive tomorrow afternoon.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #266
sparky567
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
Maybe, yeah if you want to feel better. I searched on many sites and all kits with 8 gauge wire come with 50-40 amp fuses. That tells us something. The old way is not quite the right way. I was lucky to steal a Tsunami 4 gauge wiring kit for $19 a couple of years ago on amazon, it came with a 60 amp manl fuse, but it was probably an old stock, all new 4 gauge kits come with 80 amp fuses.
I got to find a thread regarding wiring and post some of my findings ( for some it might be old news bur for me it's news!)
Quote:

Let's not get off topic too much guys, this thread is about the box.
I got some great impute from JadedSoulX regarding my box, he gave me some good advice regarding the height of the box, unfortunately I started gluing before I got his message, but lucky for me the box it is at 11.5 inches high and 19.5 inches wide. Iíve been looking high and wide (pardon the pun) for a the most shallow 10ď sub I could find and within budget ($100.00). The MB Quart RLP 254 is a hair under 3 inch, and then you got the Clarion WF2510 which is at 2 ĺ top mounted depth, but someone (donít remember who) said in a previous post that this sub was not very reliable, then I move on to the Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 that comes in at 3Ē and the other Pioneer Shallow-Mount TS-SW251 at 3 1/8 and then there is the Tang Band http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...1&postcount=54, this is essentially the same sub. I think that this one is made on the same assembly line in China and it uses the same exact basket. Moving on and then you have the Earthquake Sound SWS-10X at 2 11/16 but a little outside my budget. There was a post regarding the companies that produce speakers it was in three categories : Very good, good , and donít even bother! I tried to find it, but Ö.does anybody remember where it is.

Quote:
What is the update with the Box Sparky? the amp should arrive tomorrow afternoon.
It had arrived in Portland , it should be in my hands before I go to work (I hope)this afternoon.
sparky567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #267
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky567 View Post
I got to find a thread regarding wiring and post some of my findings ( for some it might be old news bur for me it's news!)

I got some great impute from JadedSoulX regarding my box, he gave me some good advice regarding the height of the box, unfortunately I started gluing before I got his message, but lucky for me the box it is at 11.5 inches high and 19.5 inches wide. I’ve been looking high and wide (pardon the pun) for a the most shallow 10“ sub I could find and within budget ($100.00). The MB Quart RLP 254 is a hair under 3 inch, and then you got the Clarion WF2510 which is at 2 ĺ top mounted depth, but someone (don’t remember who) said in a previous post that this sub was not very reliable, then I move on to the Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 that comes in at 3” and the other Pioneer Shallow-Mount TS-SW251 at 3 1/8 and then there is the Tang Band http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...1&postcount=54, this is essentially the same sub. I think that this one is made on the same assembly line in China and it uses the same exact basket. Moving on and then you have the Earthquake Sound SWS-10X at 2 11/16 but a little outside my budget. There was a post regarding the companies that produce speakers it was in three categories : Very good, good , and don’t even bother! I tried to find it, but ….does anybody remember where it is.

It had arrived in Portland , it should be in my hands before I go to work (I hope)this afternoon.
Huh! I thought you were really going to go with the Pioneer, I suggest going with an efficient sub 89 db spl or higher, that way you hear more at lower volumes. Just a thought, the subject and quest finding a good sub for this box has been explored quite a bit. It was pretty much the Pioneer with a taller box, or the ED/sq10-tand band. If I was making a box I would get the Pioneer. This one is still on sale.
Amazon Amazon
Or this one
Amazon Amazon
for a better fit and a slightly more efficient.

Last edited by laserguy; 01-04-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: extra link
Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #268
hofffam
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
I suggest going with an efficient sub 89 db spl or higher, that way you hear more at lower volumes.
Laserguy - that really doesn't make sense. A more efficient sub simply requires less amplifier power to produce a specific output level. Assuming any sub is adjusted in level to match the door speakers the efficiency of the sub doesn't matter at all to sound quality.

I agree that efficient subs are generally a good thing just because you can use a less powerful amp.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #269
sparky567
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
White / Beige

Quote:
Huh! I thought you were really going to go with the Pioneer, I suggest going with an efficient sub 89 db spl or higher, that way you hear more at lower volumes. Just a thought, the subject and quest finding a good sub for this box has been explored quite a bit. It was pretty much the Pioneer with a taller box, or the ED/sq10-tand band. If I was making a box I would get the Pioneer. This one is still on sale. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSSW25...eer+shallow+10
Or this one http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SW2...eer+shallow+10 for a better fit and a slightly more efficient.
You're right, Laserguy

#1 The amp arrived at 12:30 pst, we are pleased!
#2 I am ordering
Amazon Amazon
this one this after-noon before the price goes up, $5 cheaper than Sonic with free delivery.
sparky567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #270
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofffam View Post
Laserguy - that really doesn't make sense. A more efficient sub simply requires less amplifier power to produce a specific output level. Assuming any sub is adjusted in level to match the door speakers the efficiency of the sub doesn't matter at all to sound quality.

I agree that efficient subs are generally a good thing just because you can use a less powerful amp.
Yeah I did not mean to confuse the technical terms, I meant to say volume (output level) with higher spl sub is better for the amp or sounds louder at lower volume.
Output level is the term I should have used instead of more sound or volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.