Accelerating in D2 - Page 4 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #31
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Re: Accelerating in D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethard728 View Post
KeS - Up until Speed posted the OM section in a different thread, I always pulled in D3 if over 3-4000 lbs as my truck never stops shifting (or lock/unlocking TC) Literally changes every 10 seconds or so all day long. I always thought that the continous shifting is what caused heat in the tranny and I thought that a tranny staying in one gear would be much easier on the clutches than shifting 100+ times an hour. (in the long run) But my thinking is not correct according to the OM. I mistakenly used D3 like the tow/haul button on a GM.

It sounds like you have a similar belief that "hunting for gears" is not the best thing for the tranny??
A transmission is a wear item, and it wears by shifting. Sitting there shifting every couple of seconds is NOT good for its duty life. Running locked in 3 MAY not be either, and for Honda it may be worse than a constant shift pattern. But I doubt it, and it is certainly not true for all cases. I'm comfortable with my use of my Ridgeline under my conditions. If I towed heavy loads a lot, I'd try to get a more definitive answer. Trying to extrapolate from single sentences in the OM is not going to get us very far.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #32
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I know that during development of the RL, they towed at speeds of 100 mph+. I suspect they used the D position for that.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...&postcount=220

In fact, if you start reading that thread along about the point of that link, you'll find some interesting info about towing with the RL.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 01-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #33
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I know that during development of the RL, they towed at speeds of 100 mph+. I suspect they used the D position for that.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...&postcount=220

In fact, if you start reading that thread along about the point of that link, you'll find some interesting info about towing with the RL.
Yeah, you want to see D3 overheat, try that!

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #34
Uncle Festus
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

Has anybody who has the hunting / "constant shifting" tranny experience ever noticed any correlation with the Ridge's AC compressor kicking on/off?
Uncle Festus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #35
Bethard728
ROC Rank: Junior
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Festus View Post
Has anybody who has the hunting / "constant shifting" tranny experience ever noticed any correlation with the Ridge's AC compressor kicking on/off?
Mine does not correlate. I usually shut off the A/C manually unless I need it. It still hunts. Mine will actually hunt out on the flats without a trailer if the wind is blowing. Especially at higher speeds. I went to Branson, MO across I-44 a few weeks ago at about 80mph (its a little hilly, but not bad) and mine was constantly shifting - to the point that my wife asked me if something was wrong and wondered if we would make it home.
Bethard728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #36
RidgeDawg88
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
Not so much. Mercedes around the rest of the world are mid-level sedans owned by do-it-yourself enthusiasts and taxi companies.

KeS
Think they all have the "winter/summer" button?

08 RTL

"You havenít really failed, because you havenít really tried to succeed. So donít credit yourself as a failure. Youíre worse than that." -Bill Franklin
RidgeDawg88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #37
Wicked
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Is the OP from snow country?
I am a D2 user.
I read somewhere D2 is good for accelerating on slippery surfaces. Of course you should shift up to D for cruising.

(In snow and ice conditions I usually turn off the traction control and spin the tires...this behavior aggravates my wife. Her reaction always amuses me)

I use D2 when I leave the house in the morning. There is a half mile hill that ends at a "T" intersection, with a light, that usually requires you to stop.
I use the D2 to hold my speed at 25 not touching the gas pedal. Most people like to go down the hill faster. They have to brake hard at the bottom of the hill due to the usually red light and the 45 degree curve just before the light. There is a 15 mph speed limit. This is a condo complex, we own the road.
Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.