simple request for hu replacemebt - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
deepdrop
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

simple request for hu replacemebt

Hi,

I have a 2006 RTL (no navigation).

I'm no longer much of an audiophile. As a matter of fact, I set my factory subwoofer to 0 and it didn't really bother me much, so I'm fine without a subwoofer.

I am frustrated that I cant use my ipod and ipad. I did buy the usa spec connector years ago and have not been impressed as it always loses my place. Besides, it won't help with the ipad.

I'd like to buy a good quality head unit. I've been told that one with a usb port will allow me to use my ipod/ipad, although it might not charge them.

I won't bother with the subwoofer, but I'll probably replace the other speakers.

Any suggestion for a really good quality head unit? Is it true that if it has a usb adaptor, it will allow me to use my ipod and ipad?

Thanks in advance for head unit or speaker recommendations.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: simple request for hu replacemebt

I would get a 6 channel single din if audio is the only thing in mind.

If you choose one with bluetooth, you can listen to music wirelessly, 2 USB ports plus an aux port for extra devices, you can also add an HD RADIO that sounds close to cd quality.

You will have access to all your playlists, artists albums on the HU and read the names of the songs. If you want steering wheel controls get a metra axxess, easy to install

Look at JVC, PIONEER or kenwood, you may get a good one for under $200 and may have the HD included and blue tooth also for hands free phone calls.

If you get it through Crutchfield, they include the mounting kit, anntena adapter and harness, the harness connects to the connector on the HU and the factory plug, to use the existing speaker factory wiring.

Don't use the factory ground from the connector, use new ground the one on the left side of the glove box, connect the blue wire of the antenna adapter to pin 2 red/yellow wire for noise free radio reception.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by laserguy; 01-16-2013 at 12:17 AM.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Tribble
ROC Rank: Junior
2015 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Tribble; 03-22-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

I know deepdrop does not need 6 channels or looking into getting an amplifier.

It's just that the 6 ch HU will give an option to later add a sub and those units tend to have the extra bells and whistles to adjust the audio portion, EQ and xovers that help to clean the sound a bit and give clean 18-20 watts RMS compared to the 13 watt rms power from the factory HU .

The units without a cd player are good choices also, with bigger displays and extra option to control the pandora or similar app on the phone from the HU
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribble View Post
you may want to consider also the newer breed of "Digital" HU.

The big difference is that they forgo the CD player for extra USB ports, better IThing integration, and a better internal amplifier.

Just keep in mind you will lose the ability to play CD's.
What is this CD technology you speak of???? Isn't that gone the way of the 8-Track and cassette player???

I've got 6 burned CD's sitting in my RTL OEM player and literally dont even remember what they are, as I use my iPhone/iPod, so ya the USB is a great idea

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Question Re: simple request for hu replacemebt

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdrop View Post
Hi,

I have a 2006 RTL (no navigation).

I'm no longer much of an audiophile. As a matter of fact, I set my factory subwoofer to 0 and it didn't really bother me much, so I'm fine without a subwoofer.

I am frustrated that I cant use my ipod and ipad.
Hey DD, I'm confused, your avatar says he own a 2007 RTL?

Does it not come with a jack to plug your iPhone into??? My 2007 RTL has it, and I have my sub set at +2, and at least it's better than no Sub.

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Tribble
ROC Rank: Junior
2015 *Not a Ridgeline Owner
Other

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Tribble; 03-22-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
deepdrop
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Wow! Things have changed since I used to play with car stereos in the 80's in college.

Thanks to all of you for the very helpful responses, although they leave me a little unsure where to go.

My Ridge is a 2007. I checked the title. It is an RTL but there is no aux jack to plug into. I think that only came with the nav option. I'm sure I checked it out before installing the USA SPEC.

My budget is in the $500-$600 range, but I was thinking that would include some improved speakers to compensate for not having a subwoofer.

Integration sounds like what I'm looking for. I like the idea of seeing things on a big display instead of driving off the road as I fiddle with my ipod/ipad. Sounds safer. I used to get frustrated when the usa spec device would pick up somewhere randomly when I expected it to pick up where I had left off. I've started writing down the spot where I left off. Much of the time this is in an audio book that I've downloaded to my ipod for my kids. Long story, divorce, wknds with kids, long drives...

Still like music though. I never thought about it but I guess I could live without a CD player. I use it now, but that's only when I haven't put the particular CD onto my ipod yet.

Clean watts is important. I may lose my subwoofer but if I install better speakers all around, I want to drive them with clean power.

Laser is correct that I would like to keep the option of a subwoofer for the future. I probably will never use one. I'm sure that better speakers and no sub would sound better than what I have with OEM and a sub. But, if I sell the Ridge someday, the buyer may want the option. But not a priority of mine so if there's a compromise involved I could do without.

Hopefully I've clarified my needs after reading your advice. I can live without picking up where I left off. I would love to navigate my idevice from the head unit. I will want to keep the steering wheel controls. Clean power. Better speakers. No sub (unless there's an easy way to put one in. I don't want to get into major projects-too much on my plate). Don't have to have CD player if losing it brings something good like a big display, HU controls, etc. Pretty much everything I play comes off of an ipod or ipad.

Thanks again for the helpful info. If you have any further suggestions after the above, please feel free. I am very grateful to all of you.

Thank you,
Dan
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
laserguy
2006 RTL
Other

Woe! $600.00 can do a lot. If you do not mind a single DIN hu this one is only $200.00 and gives you BT ( not sure it displays titles, most likely not) but the USB ports with the apple cable will, same for some CD's also, this has a CD player, 5 volt RCA's.http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAH...T.html?tp=5684

If you want double DIN, then you can play DVD's but you may have to spend over $80.00 more and sacrifice, blue tooth or other audio features.

All you need a cheap small amp, a set of RCA cables and you could drive the factory sub with it. You will never know, you could build your box with the help of this thread, just need to read the latest pages since the box needs to be taller for a Pioneer sub. If you build the box for under $50.00 you have $250.00 (more than enough for a pioneer sub and an amp. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=13308

The first step if you have not done this yet is here http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=39073 once you do this you decide if you need new speakers or not, then you may just go with the sub/box amp, or just cheap bridgeable amp to use the existing sub.

If you just go with the amp to drive the factory sub, use this one
Amazon Amazon
and follow instructions given here.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...21&postcount=3

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do when the time is right. Sorry yeah I know, a lot of stuff to read and many options to choose based of the budget you mentioned.

Last edited by laserguy; 01-16-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: xtra links and info
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
DaveG55
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

I know you are going a different direction but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

The USAspec i-pod adapter I have allows me to control the i-pod from the radio and steering wheel controls and does not lose it's place. The i-pod is stuffed into the cubbie under the radio and I've only seen or touched it twice since installing the adapter. And i listen to it daily. It charges the i-pod too. I admit to not knowing if it will play an i-pad, never tried and probably won't.

Anyway, not trying to convince you of anything, just sayin what mine does...
2006 RTL, Billet Silver Metalic, 2% rears, 35% front window tint, Aires chrome step rails, Advantage Torza tonneau cover, PA15-HON2 I-Pod/Aux adapter, BT35-HON bluetooth adapter, Infinity Reference 1031t dash tweeter upgrade, Infinity Reference 6022i speakers (front doors), Infinity Reference 5022i speakers (rear doors), power point in center console, Aux In jack between heated seat butons, rear power outlets always on, power tailgate lock mod.
DaveG55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.