Consumer Reports vs Blown Cooler Line Reports - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Bethard728
ROC Rank: Junior
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Consumer Reports vs Blown Cooler Line Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
Get an inspection mirror and check your fittings asap. I just finished changing out my radiator about an hour ago. I have an '08 with 92k miles on it and here's what my fittings looked like:

Who knows how long it may have lasted, but I'm glad I did it. $144.00 sure beats replacing a transmission.
Rasputin - can you take a wrench and see if the fittings will back out? I think I am going to change the washers before they get too bad. I can not see any reason why the fittings won't just screw out, replace the washer, and put it back together...but I am too afraid to try it on a good radiator. From what little research ive done, it appears that I would need to drain all fluids from the radiator, so they don't mix when the fittings are removed. I would think that any radiator shop would sell the correct washers for little of nothing.
Bethard728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
rasputin
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RT
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethard728 View Post
Rasputin - can you take a wrench and see if the fittings will back out? I think I am going to change the washers before they get too bad. I can not see any reason why the fittings won't just screw out, replace the washer, and put it back together...but I am too afraid to try it on a good radiator. From what little research ive done, it appears that I would need to drain all fluids from the radiator, so they don't mix when the fittings are removed. I would think that any radiator shop would sell the correct washers for little of nothing.
I'll give it a try, but if this works you'll still have to pull the radiator. You'll never be able to get the fittings out with it in place.
rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Exclamation Re: Consumer Reports vs Blown Cooler Line Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
I would go with this interpretation. While analysis shows that this is certainly a design weakness (shared with other makes and models), there is no reason to think that it makes a major failure very likely overall. If we had never heard of the explanation, we'd probably never have the concern, but rather would be aware that there is some extremely unlikely failure for unknown reasons -- just like virtually all other failures.

Just think of how paranoid (rightfully so) you'd be about transmission failure if you bought a mid-size Chrysler car or minivan anytime through the 80's, 90's, ... did they ever fix that? This particular problem is a big bother for a small number of Ridgeline owners and should not dissuade anyone from buying a Ridgeline of any year.
I agree with this statement 100%. It's not like Honda has a recall on these!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
I'll give it a try, but if this works you'll still have to pull the radiator. You'll never be able to get the fittings out with it in place.
Yea...things are tight down there, but it looks like an easy job to just pull the radiator. I would be willing to pull it and change the washers if possible. That would save some cash.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Rich
ROC Rank: Senior
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethard728 View Post
Yea...things are tight down there, but it looks like an easy job to just pull the radiator. I would be willing to pull it and change the washers if possible. That would save some cash.
Bethard.
From memory I think the fittings hold a cooling tank for trans fluid
inside the radiator.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Bethard.
From memory I think the fittings hold a cooling tank for trans fluid
inside the radiator.
Thanks Rich! Someone had noted in a differnet thread that you must remove one fitting at a time so the coooler does not disconnect from the radiator. Im going to give the washer replacement a try. Im going to try and put it off until 200K. Im at 157 now, so I will probably hit 200 late this year.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #17
koolguyccimport
2008 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Hey yall.... What i did to my RL....is just bypassed the radiator. Ive seen one other RL just recently with a mix of atf and coolant. (Internal leak in radiator) so what i did was unhooked my feed line that runs into my radiator and run it straight to my cooler. Capped off the ends on the radiator. Simple as that. Vehicle runs great. Does not make a difference with colder trans fluid. It warms as u drive. That way if my RL gets an internal leak...no mix fluids...just new radiator. Thus eliminating completely the chance of both fluids mixing. I kno pilots are having alot more of this issue.
koolguyccimport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
mtb
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk97 View Post
If this cooler line fitting issue was anything more than a very isolated problem, one would think it would be reflected in the Consumer Report ratings. However, given the excellent ratings, I can only conclude that among the thousands of replies Consumer Reports has received from Ridgeline owners very few, if any, reported/experienced this particular problem.

I don't know what to think! Is the cooler line issue something to be concerned about, enough to.. say... replace the fittings and radiator?

I doubt CR received more than a dozen or 2 RL surveys, because not that many Honda trucks are sold, and there are even less CR members who own one and/or filled out a survey!
CR base their ratings on the number of survey received, whether it is 10 or 10,000... so it is really biased, and does not really give the real picture!
I stopped taking CR ratings seriously, long ago!
There is no better place to really find out what is real, not guess work than in a Forum like this one; and not assumptions based on a few surveys/polls!

Last edited by mtb; 01-18-2013 at 10:40 AM.
mtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
Valk97
2006 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb View Post
I doubt CR received more than a dozen or 2 RL surveys, because not that many Honda trucks are sold, and there are even less CR members who own one and/or filled out a survey!
CR base their ratings on the number of survey received, whether it is 10 or 10,000... so it is really biased, and does not really give the real picture!
I stopped taking CR ratings seriously, long ago!
There is no better place to really find out what is real, not guess work than in a Forum like this one; and not assumptions based on a few surveys/polls!

I think they have received more than a "few surveys" from Ridgeline owners.........

According to Consumer Reports they require a minimum of around 100 cars to publish reliability information for a model in a given year. Quote "Our statisticians have determined that a minimum sample of 100 is sufficient to allow us to report statistically-meaningful differences among models..."

If they don't have the minimum sample size for a given model in a given year they will say no reliability information is available.

So, assuming one believes what CR has put in writing they may have received and analyzed, at the very minimum, 600 or so surveys on the Ridgeline (based on model years 2006-11).

More information on CR's rating methods can be found here..

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...ginMethod=auto
Valk97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Valk97
2006 RT
Billet Silver / Gray

For what it's worth, here's the CR Report. Doesn't get much better.

(I don't know what's up with the fuel system on the 2012's, but I guess that's another subject and story...)

Name:  CR Ridgeline.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  73.9 KB
Valk97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.