Keep 97 Civic as a Commuter? - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
SaratogaRTL
ROC Rank: Freshman
2011 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

Keep 97 Civic as a Commuter?

My question is where to hold onto my daughter's 1997 Civic to use to drive work on decent weather days or sell it. My daughter is moving into NYC and will no longer need a car. The Civic is a 1997, 180K miles, automatic, usual Honda rust starting behind the rear wheels, small dents and scraps randomly around the vehicle. Mechanically the car is in good condition with no expensive issues needing attention right now. I have it maintained at a local shop. I could probably sell it for $2000. Gas mileage is probably 30+ MPG. Insurance is roughly $30 a month.

I have a 35 mile commute to my office, for a total of 70 miles a day. My Ridgeline gets 18 MPG. I would not be selling the Ridgeline.

Does it make sense to keep the Civic, drive it into the ground as a commuting vehicle, and save some miles on the Ridgeline? Or just sell the Civic and keep driving the Ridgeline?
SaratogaRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Car Compulsive
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2012 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: Keep 97 Civic as a Commuter?

As long as the rust hasn't compromised the undercarriage (have it inspected), I'd say keep it and run it. Plus, your daughter may be back...
'05 S2000
Car Compulsive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Slider
2006 RTL
White / Olive

You can probably save just enough in fuel to pay for insurance, registration and tags on the Civic.
OEM- Hitch, Brush Guard, Fog Lights, Wood Dash, Side Mouldings, Fender Flares/Splash Guards, Roof Rack and Hard Cover. Non OEM- Fat Bob's Lift, 2013 RTL wheels, 265/60/18 LTX MS 2's, front tint, LED's, Figs props, Pioneer Avic x930 bt, Bazooka sub, Backup camera, Fog Light mod.
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Oddjob
2009 RTL
Bali Blue Pearl

My daughter had a 02 Civic up until last year when she decided to get a slightly used 2011 CRV. She sold her Civic to a used car lot that gave her way more than a dealer would have, any how it was a great vehcile and I'm sure she would be still driving it if she didn't find such a great deal on the CRV.
My point is keep it drive it.
2006 & 09 RTL w/o Nav. Motto: "Be not drunk with wine." EPH5:18 As I spent 10years in a BATU.
RETIRED March 2011
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
RidgeKen
2006 RTL
White / Beige

70 miles/day X 5 X 50 =17,500 miles.
/30 mpg X $3.50 = $2,041
/18 mpg X $3.50 = $3,402

$1361 annual savings in gas, less $700 insurance, less $50 registration is around $600/year savings and miles off of the Ridgeline. You will however have another car to park.
RidgeKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Thumbs up Re: Keep 97 Civic as a Commuter?

I use my wifes 2003 Acura as a run around vehicle, and it's always nice to have a backup vehicle just in case!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Car Compulsive
2012 RTS
Dark Cherry Pearl

We're going to have a similar decision when my GF and I get married later this year. I have the Ridge and a Prius and she has an old Malibu that will need replacing (or scrapping) within a couple years. Her commute will only be about 12 miles round trip, while mine is 90+ miles. She also likes to smoke when driving, but may be willing to give it up. I'm hoping to own only 2 cars and have her mainly commute in the Ridgeline (while not smoking), but she may prefer to drive a car of her own (small, like the Prius) that she can smoke in. I suspect I'll be driving the Ridgeline fulltime or buying her a Fit, Civic, Yaris, Corolla, xD, or Impreza.
'05 S2000
Car Compulsive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
k757
The Spoolin' Moderator
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Redrock Pearl / Beige

I'll ignore costs..... do you want to put so many highway miles on your truck?

I have a '99 Acura CL as my daily so I don't kill my fun car with miles.

k757 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Parsec
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by k757 View Post
I'll ignore costs..... do you want to put so many highway miles on your truck?

I have a '99 Acura CL as my daily so I don't kill my fun car with miles.
Exactly. I also recommend the OP put all his commuting miles on his Civic. For me, the Ridgeline is my beater (my other car cost 4x more than my used Ridgeline) so I try to put miles on the truck when I drive long distances to see family.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
SaratogaRTL
2011 RTL
Polished Metal Metallic

Lots of interesting points of view. I will probably drive the Civic to work for a while and see if things work out for my daughter first before selling it. I have plenty of space for parking.

I like driving the Ridgeline to work because it is big, safe in an accident, handles any sort of Upstate NY weather, comfy heated leather seats, great highway manners, etc. But it does have crappy fuel mileage.

I also have a 1991 Miata in the garage that I need to justify owning by driving once in a while. Plus I live in the middle of a very walk able city.
SaratogaRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.