spark plug replacement - anti-sieze? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Nuke83
ROC Rank: Senior
2010 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Alabaster Silver Metallic

Re: spark plug replacement - anti-sieze?

Another question. It sounds as though NGK clearly states to NOT use anti-seize due to the special coating they use in manufacturing their plugs. This is contrary to Honda's FSM which say to use the anti-seize, but this is probably a general rule and not exclusive to the use of NGK plugs (although I know that's what comes from the assembly line).

So if 13 ft-lbs is the torque, it is likely that this is the anti-seize rating and not the "dry" rating (as others before has pointed out that there are two different ratings).

If the OP has used something other than NGK, should he have used anti-seize and torqued to 13 ft-lbs? If he used NGK, should he have installed dry and torqued to some rating other than 13 ft-lbs?

Finally, the NGK bulletin states that you don't use anti-seize for "initial" installation. I assume that the metal coating is a "one-time" type protector, so if you remove to inspect plugs, then re-install, you'd need to use anti-seize (and then would the torque spec be 13 ft-lbs)?

I guess that I'm not completely convinced that there's two different specs based on using anti-seize or not. Especially if the coating on the plug serves the same purpose as the anti-seize. Other than reading it here, I've not heard to multiple torque specs before based on the use of AS (not to say I'm not the ignorant one, I've just never seen it in anything more official than this forum).
My Mods - Peragon Tonneau Cover, DIY Tailgate Lock, WeatherTech Digital Front Mats, Wired Backup Camera, Sportwing Side Moulding, Infinity 1031t Tweeter mod, Romik Black Runningboards, 2012 Grill, Stampede Custom Color Matched Low Profile Hood Deflector, Fumoto Oil Valve
Pending Mods -
Came with - Front & Rear splash guards, AVS Front & Rear In-Channel Ventshades, Honda Silver Roof Rack

Last edited by Nuke83; 12-30-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added question
Nuke83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Here's the summary from the NGK tech bulletin. The question remains... is NGK referring to their own plugs or all plugs?

To the point about removing and reinstalling NGK plugs, another good question. Here's a little about the metal shell coating NGK uses:

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 12-30-2012 at 07:29 AM.
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
mcjohn1024
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

I did use NGK plugs. They went in fine and I felt nothing resistance wise to indicate I might have stripped threads or broken any plugs by over torquing so I'm just going to leave them alone at 13 lb-ft with no anti-sieze.
mcjohn1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
ChrisM
2006 RTL
Redrock Pearl / Beige

Just curious... Why are folks replacing spark plugs?

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I assume because it's time... part of the -4 service. No?

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
feetdry
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Oops, didn't realize spark plugs were permanent.......................
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
mcjohn1024
2006 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
In my case I bought my Ridgeline with 115k miles and the dealer the previous owner used had no record of any major services. Sing done. Oil changes but no 105k service. I had the timing belt done last month at about 116k miles since I had no record of this service being done and I am not that talented of a mechanic. I decided to do the plugs myself to save some cash and with all the great instruction found here it seemed pretty doable and it was actually very easy. I am still undecided on the valve service that should have been done but probably will bite the bullet and have it done when I have the cash.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
mcjohn1024
2006 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

thought some folks might be interested in what the old plugs looked like, not sure if the condition of the plugs is good or bad or if anything relating to the need of the valve adjustment is evident....

Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
S.T.U.V
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTL
Billet Silver Metallic

Just throwing this out there.... But unlike metals like to bond together even with some special coatings ie NGK plugs. Ive learned from experience to put a small coating over all plugs I install, not globs of the stuff but just enough to put a fine coat on the threads. Countless times have i worked on import motors and some deomestics where they used different kinds of plugs and a few of the plugs were stuck in the heads. Thankfully I have only had to redo threads on one supra head cause the previous person who worked on it put them in dry. And i have never torqued the plugs but doing it for so long Ive learned to crush the crush washer on the plug then do 1/4 turn after that. Not once have i had an issue with plugs breaking/coming out.

To me i think its good piece of mind knowing when you take them out thousands of miles later, they will come out no problem.
S.T.U.V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
One of the reasons I replaced my plugs was I was about 15k miles over 100k. The stock NGK plugs are rated to go a 100k. I figured it was about time to replace them.

Also, I plan on doing the timing belt service here soon. My dealership will be doing the work for me (oddly enough, the estimate they gave me was one of the lowest of the 7-8 shops I got estimates from) and they recommended doing the plugs also; at a rate of $220. $120 for the plugs and $100 for the installation.

I have replaced plugs numerous times on quite a few vehicles, so I figured I would try and save myself a few $'s on the timing belt service, by doing it myself. I found the plugs on line (RockAuto.com) for under $10 a piece. Shipped to my door, it was less than $63. Took me about an hour. I could do another spark plug replacement on my RL in about 1/2 that time now that I have done it once. Pretty easy and it is suprising the amount of room you have to work with. Anyway, when it was all said and done, I figured I saved myself over $130.

Piece of advice, if you decide to do it yourself, make sure you have either a 5" deep sparkplug socket, or a couple of short extensions for your ratchet...it will make your life mucho easier.

Finally, I went by the advice of NGK and Honda and did not put anti-sieze on the plugs (as they had the shiny/silver coating on the threads) and torqued them to 13 foot lbs. I guess time will tell if I did the right things....of course, by the time the plugs need to replaced, I probably won't be the owner. I'll have sold it/traded it by them.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Mods, Installs and How-To's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.