Aftermarket Catalytic Converter & Rear O2 sensor replacement - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Rzarenzi
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTS
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Send a message via AIM to Rzarenzi
Lightbulb Aftermarket Catalytic Converter & Rear O2 sensor replacement

Hello fellow ROC members,

I was hoping you might have some insight or reccommendation on aftermarket Catalytic Converter for 2006 Ridgeline. I need to replace my cat & rear O2 sensor before my next state inspection, so the check engine light will go off. Quote from dealer was about $1200 to replace catalytic converter & rear O2 sensor. I was browsing around in the past over the internet and most aftermarket catalytic converters seem to be substantially cheaper than the Honda one. Any thoughts on a reliable replacement, preferebly bolt on (no welding required) for replacement? I don't need high performance or anything. My Ridge has 103,000 miles.

Thanks in advance! Happy Holidays!
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Ourfarm09
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2011 RTS
Bali Blue Pearl

Re: Aftermarket Catalytic Converter & Rear O2 sensor replacement

I think you will be fine with a good after market one. If I am correct, Honda doesn't make their own converters anyway.

AVS ventvisors, ROC decal,
Ourfarm09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Rzarenzi
2006 RTS
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Send a message via AIM to Rzarenzi

Thank you for the feedback - Ourfarm09
Old 01-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Robert_u
2006 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

They are charging you so much because its all labor. I had to change both of Mine and I was qouted1700 but I went to a custom muffler shop and got it done for 850. And it took them 7 hours to complete because to get them out you may have to remove the exhaust and drop the front axle.
Robert_u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Exclamation Re: Aftermarket Catalytic Converter & Rear O2 sensor replacement

Or you could have the light turned off with a code reader just before your inspection, but I don't recommend it!

Just in case it fails the test!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarenzi View Post
Hello fellow ROC members,

I was hoping you might have some insight or reccommendation on aftermarket Catalytic Converter for 2006 Ridgeline. I need to replace my cat & rear O2 sensor before my next state inspection, so the check engine light will go off. Quote from dealer was about $1200 to replace catalytic converter & rear O2 sensor. I was browsing around in the past over the internet and most aftermarket catalytic converters seem to be substantially cheaper than the Honda one. Any thoughts on a reliable replacement, preferebly bolt on (no welding required) for replacement? I don't need high performance or anything. My Ridge has 103,000 miles.

Thanks in advance! Happy Holidays!
You might get lucky by replacing the O2 sensor and resetting the codes. I think I'd try that first. IMO, the cats shouldn't need replacing so soon. Unless they've been damaged by misfire or something.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
areno
2006 RTL
Alabaster Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
You might get lucky by replacing the O2 sensor and resetting the codes. I think I'd try that first. IMO, the cats shouldn't need replacing so soon. Unless they've been damaged by misfire or something.
I did the de-fouler method on our 2005 ody and our 2006 Ridgeline (both had the cel on with the P04** codes) and within a day the CEL code went away, came back once and has not come back in over 2 years.

My take on the the high frequency with which this code appears on Honda's is that they have programmed very tight variances into what the sensors receive and expect as "normal". I'd love to see someone with the code go to an emissions station and do the exhaust pipe test. I bet the results would show that the emissions are still extremely clean. Anyway, I think the thought behind the "fix" below is that pulling the O2 sensor farther away from the cat, even by an inch or so, takes it out of the stream enough that it doesn't detect as much of the crap that it is monitoring.

This is a $5 fix that has worked on both of our Hondas. I was disappointed after the code came back the first time thinking that it didn't work. But after a day or so it went away and has never come back.

The hardest part is finding the room to get the o2 sensor out.

Here is the link on how it's done: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2162522

Hope it helps, Adam
areno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Parsec
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

I haven't heard of what areno suggested, but I guess for $5 it's worth a shot. Older Hondas are notorious for tripping multiple codes if there is a bad O2 sensor. If the de-fouler method doesn't work, I also recommend changing out just the O2 sensor and drive it normally for a day or 2 to see if the other codes disappear. Worked on my old CR-V.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Jack
ROC Rank: Senior
2008 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

My daughter drives an old Nissan Sentra with 140K on it. When I go to get the state inspection (virginia) I used my code scanner to see what code is being "thrown" and write it down for my memory. Right before I run it through the inspection I used the scanner to reset. Works everytime for me.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
ace5000
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2006 RTS
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Aftermarket Catalytic Converter

Hello all,

151,000 miles here and I'm getting a persistent P0420 code. I got it to go off for a few miles after changing gas, but it is staying on.

I will try to swap the sensors and clean them, but if it fails and I must replace the warm-up bank 1 cat, where can I get a good aftermarket one?

Many thanks
ace5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.