Lets talk: Block heaters!! - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Timberdog
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RT
Other

Re: Lets talk: Block heaters!!

I live in New Brunswick and have mine on a timer to come on 3 hours before I leave for work. I plug it in once the temp drops below -12 C. To me it's cheap insurance for the engine. Plus you get heat right away. Moved here from Alberta, same as Ysllowknife there were plug ins even at work. I don't miss that, my tires seemed like they were square...lol.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
jimfrancis
ROC Rank: Senior
2011 RTL
White/Grey

THIS is exactly why I moved to Florida. Today is Jan 20th, and I wore shorts, sandals, and t-shirt today. It was about 70 degrees out, rather cool for us, actually.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Timberdog
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RT
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrancis View Post
THIS is exactly why I moved to Florida. Today is Jan 20th, and I wore shorts, sandals, and t-shirt today. It was about 70 degrees out, rather cool for us, actually.
No need to rub it in...lol.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
feetdry
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

.......just watch out for the fire ants..............
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
jeb
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
According to a chart here, the pour point of 5w-20 oil is -33*F (-36*C). I assume that's dino oil.

Not only the engine oil, but how about the coolant, the tranny fluid, the transfer assembly hypoid gear oil, the VTM-4 fluid, wheel bearing grease, the brake fluid, and the power steering fluid?

Mobil 1 5w-20 has a pour point of -43*C.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_5W-20.aspx
I have synthetic hypoid gear oil in the tranfer case, but as we all know there is no replacement for VTM4 fluid, it could very well be synthetic for all I know. Thanks to this forum I have learned to only use honda auto tranny fluid and that is what I will continue to use. It shifts smooth every time at -40, no clunks or jerkiness. I am running AMZOIL in the engine, and it seems to start fine and quick every morning with the block heater plugged in!

Anyone else use amzoil? I just used regular oil in my old Honda 4 cylinders, usually because they burned a lot of oil. I have had a lot of j motors in my day (god I sound old saying that...) and I have always synthetic, usually amzoil in them. When my Honda guy takes the valve covers of my motor(s) to do valve adjustments hes always amazed at how clean and gunk free everything is. I will continue using it, how ever it is $130 an oil change here for it... how ever i don't drive it a whole lot.

Previous Rides:
2008 Ridgeline, 2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
jeb
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
I live in New Brunswick and have mine on a timer to come on 3 hours before I leave for work. I plug it in once the temp drops below -12 C. To me it's cheap insurance for the engine. Plus you get heat right away. Moved here from Alberta, same as Ysllowknife there were plug ins even at work. I don't miss that, my tires seemed like they were square...lol.
haha yeah Timber dog, when it gets below - 30 it feels like your riding in a tank.

NB eh? I moved here from Halifax. props to you fellow maritimer!

Previous Rides:
2008 Ridgeline, 2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.