SeaFoaming A Honda Ridgeline - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
MannyJ
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2012 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

Re: SeaFoaming A Honda Ridgeline

No worries Bethard. I really don't know much about the product at all. Then I came across that video and was curious as to other members impressions.

I could see how there might be benefits of it's use in smaller engines or older ones where perhaps there could be issues with less than complete combustion and resulting build up of deposits but what do I know?

I haven't been able to track down any kind of independent before and after comparisons where someone actually showed the internals after a treatment.

Most of the reviews or comments on the web seem to be the "seat of the pants" type where the car seems to work better after a treatment of this stuff.

Given that we have members here with over 150,000 trouble free miles on their clocks without much more that regular maintenance I wasn't sure if this was something I should work into a regular maintenance routine?

Just curious ... That's all!
MannyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Personally, I see no reason to introduce Sea Foam into the equation unless you are having a specific problem you are trying to eliminate. Sea Foam is mostly pale oil, naptha and isopropyl alchohol.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
feetdry
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

It's no substitute for regular maintenance. Personally driven over 2 million miles and haven't touched a drop and don't intend to. I guess if I had engines failing me before 300,000 miles, I probably would try something. Everything I've driven in the last 30 years has gone at least 200,000 miles and some over 300,000 miles with nothing but regular maintenance. NO ADDITIVES OF ANY SORT.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Rexyboy
ROC Rank: Freshman
2008 RTL
Formal Black

My last car was an 01 Infiniti i30t. At around 80k the cel came on. I had it diagnosed to o2 sensor failing (common with these cars). The mechanic suggested putting a bottle of seafoam in the gas and see what happens. After I ran through the tank with seafoam I filled up and about halfway through the next tank no more cel. I sold the car at 103k with no cel since using seafoam. It's the only time I've used it but it work for me.
Rexyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
hopingforahonda
ROC Rank: Junior
2009 RTL
Sterling Gray Metallic

Honda doesn't recommend using any additives. So, why would anyone think they know better and use it? This is exactly why I don't like buying used vehicles, you never know what some moron might have dumped in it!
hopingforahonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
feetdry
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingforahonda View Post
Honda doesn't recommend using any additives. So, why would anyone think they know better and use it? This is exactly why I don't like buying used vehicles, you never know what some moron might have dumped in it!
Boy you said it! It's one of the reasons that I don't have problems selling my high mileage vehicles. I keep meticulous records and I don't "dump" other stuff in them.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetdry View Post
Boy you said it! It's one of the reasons that I don't have problems selling my high mileage vehicles. I keep meticulous records and I don't "dump" other stuff in them.
What do you consider high mileage? Just out of curiosity.

It is really crazy how the mileage is becoming less of an issue. I remember in 2001, I couldn't hardly give my 89 civic hatch away at 224k. Everyone walked away complaining about mileage. Then in 2009, I had people beating down my door for my 92 civic hatch with 300k. I sold it without advertising. A guy actually came to my door asking if it was for sale because he noticed it didn't have license plates. Then in 2011, I had a line of people waiting to buy my 98 hatch with 200k +. Then the one that blew me away was the number of people interested in a 98 k1500 Chevy with 200k.

It's not like it used to be...if a vehicle is in good shape and has been cared for, people tend to overlook mileage. (to a point). 400k and up start getting hard to sell for much more than scrap value.
Bethard728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
feetdry
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

This is just my opinion for "high" mileage. In the last 31 years of company driving I don't think I've turned in the keys on a vehicle of less than 200,000 miles. Several have gone into the 3 hundreds. 'Still haven't had to have ANY engine work done on any of those vehicles. Hoping my Ridge will take me into the three hundreds.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
csimo
Administrator
2014 SE
White/Black

I don't mean to disparage SeaFoam in any way because they don't make any claims the stuff is magic. It is amazing to me the number of people that believe the stuff IS magic.

If you've ever cleaned out an intake that's clogged with carbon you know that you could soak it in SeaFoam for a month and still have to scrape and chisel it out. Today we have port and direct injection and intakes don't get clogged.

The method used does nothing to clean injectors, and if you have a clogged injector not much you can pour in the fuel supply line will fix them for very long.

As for an O2 sensor... if there was anything left of SeaFoam by the time it reached the sensor it would be more bad than good.

As pointed out earlier it's mostly light oil, naphtha and alcohol. Any engine will smoke if you pour oil into the intake... it's not magic or an indication that any super cleaning took place. I'd much rather the dirt stay in the intake than be ingested by the engine.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetdry View Post
This is just my opinion for "high" mileage. In the last 31 years of company driving I don't think I've turned in the keys on a vehicle of less than 200,000 miles. Several have gone into the 3 hundreds. 'Still haven't had to have ANY engine work done on any of those vehicles. Hoping my Ridge will take me into the three hundreds.
Similar opinion on high mileage here and I'm also with you on the 300k club out of my ridge.

I bet some of your vehicles were getting "long in the tooth" in 1980 at 200k.
Bethard728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.