Slow start, now no start plus white smoke - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Slow start, now no start plus white smoke

That sure sounds like the right place for the starter:

Just for the record, if I'm gonna have white smoke, I'd rather it be from the starter than from the tailpipe.

Diagnostic checks:

More diagnostic checks:

R&R the starter:

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 01-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
RustyH
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Nighthawk Black / Beige

As bad as this sounds, you might be lucky. If this is a starter issue, it should be a lot easier and less expensive than dealing with a blown head gasket. Good luck!
06 RTL, 2011 ROTY billet cubby cover, door sills and license plate frame. Polished Billet Grills, Custom paint, 275/45R/20 Yokohama tires on Rozzi Octane wheels. caliper covers, custom airbag suspension. Kenwood DVD Player, Rockford Power T15004 Amplifier, Six Rockford Power 6.5" speakers and 2 10" downfiring subs. Custom 3 color Wet Okle seat covers. Airraid CAI, throttle body spacer, Magnaflow muffler, Truxedo Pro Tonneau Cover, Hidden Hitch, smoked head and taillights.
RustyH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
RonRidgeline
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTS
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Bingo! Dealer's tech diagnosed it as the starter just an hour ago. I asked about other starter options (upgrades). Service manager said there were none. :-( I've never had a starter die on me this early (58,000 miles). Labor and parts are going to be $670.

Thank you all for your help!
RonRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

I see the Mitsubishi starter online for ~$366 or so. There's also a starter core for ~$215. Not sure exactly how that works. But I don't think replacing the starter is that difficult on the RL.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...VIN+Number+---

P/N for 2008 RL:
Gasket p/n: 31270-RJA-A01
Starter p/n: 31200-RJE-A01

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

I'm sure the dealership prices for the starter are somewhere around the prices for a new alternator - $450-500 or so. Add in 1 to 1.5 hours of labor and that sounds about right. I do know that reman'd starters are MUCH less expensive on Rockauto.com. You can get a Beck/Arnley unit for a little over $100 after you return your core. You might want to think about taking this route. Rockauto ships really fast and you could have an independent shop install it easily and less expensively if you're not comfortable installing it yourself. It would be easier than an alternator because you don't have to remove the serpentine belt. Just a thought!
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
RonRidgeline
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTS
Nighthawk Black / Beige

Thank you all for your replies!

Last edited by RonRidgeline; 01-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.
RonRidgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Tags
smell , smoke , start , starter , white

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.