At what point is it wrong to overload the Ridgeline? - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Bethard728
ROC Rank: Junior
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Re: At what point is it wrong to overload the Ridgeline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimo View Post
Yes I agree. I doubt a Ridgeline would make it a block with 3k lbs. in the bed. Something would break quickly.
I can assure you that it will handle it. I have done it several times. It is set way down in the back, but it does it. It is squirrly to drive, but I dont go fast or far. I will get a pic next time I load it up. I would think a man of your expertise would know that it is possible. City folk.....sheeeesh

Last edited by Bethard728; 01-25-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Bethard728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
You so far exceed normal expectations that I have no way to classify your operation.

150k+ on OEM tires?
3000+ lb payloads on a regular basis?
159k trouble free miles?

I should be so fortunate.

My suggestion is that you should go buy a lottery ticket!
Speed - I take this as you are questioning my truth. I am not here to lie to anyone, I swear I post the truth. I have no idea how my OEM tires lasted like they did. I am as amazed as anyone and would have a hard time believing it if it hadnt happened to me... I posted pics of tire, date stamp, and odo on another post.

I didnt remember saying I hauled the 3K on a regular basis. If I did, I would like to retract that statement and apologize. I do it each year, but not really on a regular basis. Maybe a few times a season when the HD trucks and trailers are already out and an "emergency" delivery needs made. The ridge will definately handle it. It is a little squirrly, a little dangerous, but it WILL do it.

I have always pushed the limits of my vehicles and then some, and typically push maintenance off as long as possible...but some reason, I seem to have good luck with my vehicles. I have had vehicles fail me miserable in the past though. One example is a F-150 truck. I replaced damn near everything on it in 100k...it just couldnt handle my "use" I guess. Otherwise, I have ran GM products for work trucks, and honda civics for commuters with little trouble. I even pulled trailers with my Civics and they just kept going.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Bethard,

As I reread that, I can see where you would interpret my comments that way. Apologies! Not intended that way. I just find it remarkable that you are able to push the limits like you do... and do so successfully.

I still like the idea of the lottery ticket though.

Hey, as long as pickup trucks have been made, they have been overloaded. It is what it is. You have to remember that with my background (in aviation), you may get away with overloading, but the penalties for not getting away with it are pretty severe. So I'm pretty much a stickler for staying within the limits.

I have images in my mind like this:

Oops!

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM

Last edited by speedlever; 01-26-2013 at 05:26 AM.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
gene r
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Bethard it seems to me that many of the RL's on this site are garage queens and are not used for work. My father owned trucks his entire life. first as a landscaper and nursery owner then as a small scrapmetal business owner. As far as he was concerned a truck had one purpose. You made money with it. He never spent 5 cents making his trucks pretty and everyone of them was overloaded on a regular basis. Not one of them owed him a dime. Other then you I don't know of anyone who makes a living with an RL. It's hard to say how much abuse one of these trucks can actually take. My guess is the tranny would be the first thing to go based on some of the shifts my truck goes through. Who knows? Is this really a truck engine? You might be better off in a different truck and leave the RL to weekend warriors like me. I am sure my father never asked this question about his trucks
gene r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #15
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Speed - that marroon truck on the bottom might be me someday, but I hope not. It is a little errie that it is similar color and I would definitely see myself loading it up like that.

I guess I look at my vehicles like Gene's dad. I bought it for a work truck and that's what I do with it. I like genes idea of a different truck, but it just seems to never work out. I have about every type of vehicle in my "arsenal". I have work trucks ranging from the ridgeline to a F-550 with a suburban, 2500hd, and 3500 van in between. It just seems that in my line of work, I always need " just a little more". It seems like a vicious cycle where I use my 1500's as 1 tons, my 1 tons as 550's, and the 550's as semi trucks.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
Rickman
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Thumbs up Re: At what point is it wrong to overload the Ridgeline?

I'm with you on this one Beth.

I haven't had the chance to load my RL too much, but with my 2000 CRV with a towing capacity of 1000 lbs, I easily doubled that when camping.

I never blew a transmission or engine and have put soooooooo little $$$$$ into that CRV over it's 11 years, that I will probably always stay with Honda.

Yes there is always a safety factor, but like I have always said, you could slip in the bathtub and be crippled, or you could drown!

LONG LIVE THE HONDA!

P.S. I agree with speed lever, buy a Lottery Ticket, you can't win if you don't play!

My other ride is my Bicycle!
Rickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Bethard728
2008 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I was thinking after I posted the last time...since the ridgeline is typically looked at as being "a city truck", it doesn't have as many opportunities to be used like I use it. Here on ROC, it seems that I am the odd duck in that I use the crap out of the ridge and try to stretch maintenance as thin as possible. I am not a member, but will browse around on forums like GM 1500 or 2500HD sites and you might find it hard to believe....but I am among the "sane" people on those sites. And, travel around to campgrounds across IL & MO....I am often amazed (and usually inspired ) by what I see.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

The heaviest load I've had in my bed (thus far) was here:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=40152

So my truck hasn't even breathed hard compared to yours!

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
WNY PAT
ROC Rank: Senior
2013 RTL
Crystal Black Pearl

I occasionally use my RL for work but do have dedicated work trucks for the heavy hauling. I don't think twice hooking up my boat (4500#) or John Deere 855 tractor and backhoe (probably closer to 5500#) up once in awhile. A few times I've had to go to Home Depot for materials and have had it packed to the gills with lumber, wiring, PT plywood, etc but I don't do it every day. So far I haven't had any issues at all.
2012 RL RTS (Sold)
WNY PAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
oldschoolsdime92
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 RTS
Crystal Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene r View Post
Other then you I don't know of anyone who makes a living with an RL. It's hard to say how much abuse one of these trucks can actually take.
I have a friend of a friend whom uses his RL on a daily basis for the last three years for his lawn care business and hasn't had a lick of trouble. that was part of my deciding factor of buying the RL
oldschoolsdime92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.