Pictures Of Yellowknife!! And a few of my RL... - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Activities > Photography

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
jeb
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Formal Black

Re: Pictures Of Yellowknife!! And a few of my RL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfarm09 View Post
Great pics and Video...

The first season of Ice Road Trucks was done at YellowKnife.
Thanks! I think I will acquire that season now! Is ice pilots broadcasted down in the USA as well? I think its on history channel. I watch Ice road truckers, Its manditory in everyones Igloo. Muhaahaha.

Previous Rides:
2008 Ridgeline, 2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
klossfam
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Awesome pics! Had to show my 75 yr old dad that took a trip to Yellowknife a while back. By the way, for everyone asking about tire pressure and extreme temps. I'm not in the extremes of Yellowknife but frequently going from moderate Buffalo temps (i.e. 30F) to our cottage in Haliburton, ON were it is often -20F or lower during Jan and Feb nights.

Once winter is 'officially' here, I try to adopt a tire pressure based on the average daily temps. If January is 25F to 30F average, I set them to 32 psi on a day that meets that range. Then I can figure the leeway I have if there is a deep freeze or a thaw. Usually enough range but if I know I'll be in extreme cold for a week, I'll add 2 lbs and vice verse.

I agree that you don't want to be messing with valve stems at -40F...There is always some moisture in the tire that'll want to play havoc at the worst possible moment. That's about as much fun as fueling your sled out of a 5 gallon can at -30F when the fuel can turn into a 'gas slushie' (don't forget the fine screen in your funnel and the bottle of isopropyl!)

The RL is excellent for the cold weather, however...and a good case to go with 0W20 full syn oil choice as well during the winter months.

Thanks again for the great pics and videos!

2010 RTL w/Nav, Accessory Grill, Gentex K2 Auto Dim Mirror, USA SPEC iPod Interface, Infinity 1031t Tweeter Upgrade, Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau, 17" Full Size OEM Steel Spare

Last edited by klossfam; 01-28-2013 at 08:24 AM.
klossfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
jeb
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by klossfam View Post
Awesome pics! Had to show my 75 yr old dad that took a trip to Yellowknife a while back. By the way, for everyone asking about tire pressure and extreme temps. I'm not in the extremes of Yellowknife but frequent going from moderate Buffalo temps (i.e. 30F) to our cottage in Haliburton, ON were it is frequently -20F or lower in Jan and Feb.

Once winter is 'officially' here, I try to adopt a tire pressure based on the average daily temps. If January is 25F-30F I set them to 32 psi on a day that meets that range. Then I can figure the leeway if we have a deep freeze or a thaw. Usually enough range but if I know I'll be in extreme cold for a week, I'll add 2 lbs and vice versa.

I agree, however, that you don't want to be messing with valve stems at -40F...Their is always moisture in the tire that'll want to play havoc at the worst possible moment. That's about as much fun as fueling your sled out of a 5 gal can at -30F when the fuel can turn into a 'gas slushie' (don't forget the fine screen in the funnel and the bottle of isopropyl!)

The RL is excellent for the cold weather, however...A good case to go with 0W20 full syn as well during the winter months.

Thanks again for the great pics and videos!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I have 5w20 amsoil in it now, I will consider that next oil change, however im still at 70%, and the oil is still clean. Probably wont need an oil change till the spring.

Temps here get COLD. especially in this month coming. They can hit -50C no windchill. That hasnt happened in years, but its possible. I checked the tire pressure one day and it was 28 psi, and that was at -30C. I did add some in to all them i think when it was starting to get to - 18 or so. I think I will be ok for now. After Feburary it should start to get a little warmer.

Previous Rides:
2008 Ridgeline, 2010 Honda Civic Sport, 2003 Acura MDX, 2005 Acura TL, 1998 Accord V6 EXL, 1995 Accord EX (x3), 1995 Acura Integra
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
klossfam
2010 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

I used to start my '95 Mazda Millenia in the cottage driveway at -30F and I'd swear you could hear EACH on the 24 valves opening and closing...There are no such things as 'kinda good batteries' at those temps...or 'winter grade' washer fluid...

2010 RTL w/Nav, Accessory Grill, Gentex K2 Auto Dim Mirror, USA SPEC iPod Interface, Infinity 1031t Tweeter Upgrade, Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau, 17" Full Size OEM Steel Spare
klossfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
jeb
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by klossfam View Post
I used to start my '95 Mazda Millenia in the cottage driveway at -30F and I'd swear you could hear EACH on the 24 valves opening and closing...There are no such things as 'kinda good batteries' at those temps...or 'winter grade' washer fluid...
Hahaha! I know what you mean. My old integra was the same way. The valves would tap till it warmed up. The Ridgeline seems really good. I usually remote start it in the mornings but a few times I've gone out to start it in side. The power steering pump makes an awful noise for about 3 seconds till the fluid circulates. Ill be changing that fluid in the spring to the most badass fluid I can find if possible. I bought the biggest battery with the most cold cranking amps you could buy up here. Cost me 250 bucks!! Seems to crank fast even in -30. As for windsheild wash.... yeah ill side with ya. Even the -50 rated stuff turns to a gel when it gets close to its rated temp. I try not to use that much hahaaha.

Previous Rides:
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
Rockwood
ROC Rank: Senior
2006 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Billet Silver / Gray

My old 4x4 truck had a block heater. Set it up so if I forgot to unplug it, nothing bad happened as I drove away.
Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
jeb
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
My old 4x4 truck had a block heater. Set it up so if I forgot to unplug it, nothing bad happened as I drove away.
Oh sigh... its funny u mention that. I just put a straight plug on my extension cord so when I drove away nothing bad would happen.... I've made a few repairs to plugs this winter.

Previous Rides:
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #18
Timberdog
2007 RT
Other

great shots, I've never been to Yellowknife but I've been to Moosenee, Lab city and Alert so I understand what you're saying about the cold. I've heard there is great fishing up there. I'm going to put this on my bucket list for when I retire. Catch me some big arctic char. I'm surprised you don't run winter tires.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
jeb
Formal Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdog View Post
great shots, I've never been to Yellowknife but I've been to Moosenee, Lab city and Alert so I understand what you're saying about the cold. I've heard there is great fishing up there. I'm going to put this on my bucket list for when I retire. Catch me some big arctic char. I'm surprised you don't run winter tires.
I have Michelin X-Ice Xi-2s, I just havent put them on yet. I just boot around town with it. The snow is so hard and crunchy it the tires I have on are fine. They are an all terrain. Lots of people just run all seasons because the snow is so gripy. Unlike anything ive ever seen. Back home in Nova Scotia, Definitely have winter tires.

Your right about the fishing. Ill be doing lots of that this summer! cant wait!

Previous Rides:
Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
kootenaigirl
ROC Rank: Freshman
2012 SPORT
Crystal Black Pearl

Would love to take a trip up there but not in the winter lol!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Activities > Photography

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.