Question on Radiator connections - Page 3 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
laserguy
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Other

Re: Question on Radiator connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Might as well do that radiator change while the TB and WP are being done.

Are you gonna have the valves adjusted as well?
The whole point for me was to reset the MM before the 15% to skip the B4 since I do not plan to change the TB until at least 120K. I guess now it's too late and when I do my oil I will be resetting all those codes. My valves are not super quiet or noisy, we will see.

If get to clean and restore those washers Ill post pics, most likely I will replace the cooling fluid or at least 1 full gallon once I either replace the radiator or fix the washers.
laserguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
Ryan83
ROC Rank: Freshman
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

Just wanted to upgrade the thread...I had a mechanic friend of mine install the new radiator with the honda coolant on sunday. I asked him if he knew about the issue and he said yes but it varies with manufactures and various radiators and the materials used etc. He also said that unfortunately with those connections its not a matter of if but when that trouble will arise. But im glad that its done and I have peace of mind.
Ryan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan83 View Post
Just wanted to upgrade the thread...I had a mechanic friend of mine install the new radiator with the honda coolant on sunday. I asked him if he knew about the issue and he said yes but it varies with manufactures and various radiators and the materials used etc. He also said that unfortunately with those connections its not a matter of if but when that trouble will arise. But im glad that its done and I have peace of mind.
So does he think the problem will eventually recur with the Silla? All I could see from your photo was that the washers appear to be anodized.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Ryan83
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

To be honest I did not ask him if he thought there would be an issue with the silla washers eventually down the line. I was just happy to have it replaced haha. He simply said that if one intends to keep the vehicle for a long duration its certainly good to be proactive just encase something were to occur. I did ask him if it was strictly an import issue and he said that he had seen the same problem in some GMC's but did not specify the years.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
kevin_stevens
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Ok, thanks. That's what bugs me about this is that these replacement radiators all seem to be "OEM replacements" - it's hard to tell if they'll be any better or not.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
Ryan83
2006 RTL
Amazon Green / Olive

From what I have read I believe Denco makes OEM replacements for honda which uses the same exact washers etc and Koyo and silla make aftermarket ones which differ. I guess people who have replaced theirs (from what I've read here) have gone with either silla or koyo.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
IanRTL
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2007 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Question on Radiator connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan83 View Post
From what I have read I believe Denco makes OEM replacements for honda which uses the same exact washers etc and Koyo and silla make aftermarket ones which differ. I guess people who have replaced theirs (from what I've read here) have gone with either silla or koyo.
From what I've gathered, the koyo and silla designs and materials used are very similar to those found on the odyssey. This issue seems to be a non-issue on the ody from what I've read. I do know the fittings on my silla are not simple steel. They are either brass or an anodized steel. Either way, I have full confidence the silla will last as long or longer than an OEM replacement. You also have to think this: if the OEM lasted for 5+ years, an OEM replacement should last that long as well. One would have 10+ years of ownership before this would ever be a concern again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Westin chrome tube steps, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Koolertron backup camera
IanRTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
feetdry
2008 RTL
Steel Blue Metallic

The radiator shop that changed mine out in Portland said that I'd not have the same problem with the radiator he installed last year. He's seen a lot of them in the last 35 years and said that the one he puts in won't have those problems.

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Under The Hood / Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.