Vote em out! - Page 1263 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #12621
MikeT
Mall Ninja Moderator
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Re: Vote em out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevers View Post
When did you graduate?

I'm not going to imply that you're not bringing up valid points questioning why people do the things they and what that says about the current state of our society but in regards to carrying guns around in the back window of a truck that's more of a rural thing. I was in high school in the late 80s, guns weren't allowed then. I'm pretty sure that no one who went to a school in a city of any size since the 60s was able to carry a gun to school, whether it stayed in the car or not.
I graduated in the mid eighties and used to go dove and duck hunting with the vice principle and principle of my high school. I did not have a truck with a gun rack so I took my shotgun to school in a gun case and placed it in the principles truck. This being the the DFW area as well. It was the late eighties when most of the gun control crap hit the fan. At least as far as I remember it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #12622
MoosePond
ROC Rank: 7k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

I graduated from a semi-rural high school in Kansas in '62 and a number of my classmates (and teachers) had gun racks in the back windows of their pickups as they would go hunting either in the morning before class or in the afternoon after school. Others carried theirs openly on the back seat, in the rear window package tray or in their trunk and no one thought a thing about it. I kept a loaded .38 revolver in my glove box and don't recall ever locking my car or having a problem. Heck, half of the time most people I knew never even took their keys out of the ignition and pretty much no one locked the doors to their house. Things have certainly changed and certainly not for the better where these sort of things are concerned. These days I lock my front door every time I leave the house, even if only to run a 10-minute errand, and I'm quite a ways out in the country off of a very lightly traveled back road.

Life is too short to drive boring vehicles!
MoosePond is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #12623
cdepuydt
ROC Rank: 6k Comma Club
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Year Honda Owner View Post
Yes to both!! The problem is caused by the Obamas of the country wanting social change over the last several years. You have now received social change. Live with it or get your heads out of your rear ends and start living the life God intended on us to live. Liberalism and the destruction of our education system, and family values is to blame. Time to face up to the facts!!
You got it. It's these politically correct/everybody's special so nobody's special/it's not my fault times we are in that is a large part of the problem.

One of the biggest problems out there is personal responsbiliity or lack thereof. I mean, you look at the news, and a somebody gets drunk, jumps in their car, and kills themselves, their friends, their family members, or innocent bystanders...and it is it the fault of the person who poured gallons of beer down their gullet...?...nope, it's the bartender's fault, it's the breweries fault, or it's society's fault...for, you know, allowing bars to exist.

Look at the political process today. If something goes south everybody starts pointing fingers...it's the dems fault...nope, it's the reps fault...no it's the independents fault. I mean, look at the most powerful man in the world. He hasn't taken responsibility for one dam thing since he took office. Great role models we have here.

Look at society today. Somewhere along the line we went from "work hard to get ahead and do the best you can for you and your family" to "what the hell..the gov't is giving out free money/food/shelter...why bother working when we can live on the gov't dime?"

What ever happened to taking responsibility for one's actions? When did it become OK to blame somebody else for something you did? I'm not sure when it happened, but it seemed like one day I woke up, turned on the news, and everybody was pointing fingers at everybody else.

Growing up, my parents instilled many values in me, or at least tried to, and one of them was a man always takes credit where credit is due...but he also admits his mistakes and takes responsibility when he screws up.

I guess all of the above....work hard to get ahead/take responsibility for your actions...are "old fashion" ideas. And maybe I am showing my age a bit but, IMHO, if more people worked hard to get ahead and took on more personal responsibilty, this country would be a better place than it is...and we wouldn't have 1/2 the problems we do.

RTL w/Nav and Sunroof, Running boards, Bug deflector, Leer Cap, OEM Hitch, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Weathertech Floor Mats, OEM Foglights w/Painted Bezels, OEM Side Door Protectors, '10 Pilot Touring Wheels, Kumho Road Venture KL61 Tires (New in Oct. 2012 and New Again in May of 2014), new Monroe OE Spectrum Struts (New in May 2013), RTX/Accessory Grill, and Figs Hood Prop Kit.
cdepuydt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #12624
msmith1965
ROC Rank: Junior
2006 RTL
Billet Silver / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevers View Post
When did you graduate?

I'm not going to imply that you're not bringing up valid points questioning why people do the things they and what that says about the current state of our society but in regards to carrying guns around in the back window of a truck that's more of a rural thing. I was in high school in the late 80s, guns weren't allowed then. I'm pretty sure that no one who went to a school in a city of any size since the 60s was able to carry a gun to school, whether it stayed in the car or not.
I graduated in 1983. And, now guns are no longer allowed in the school I attended as they used to be due to the gun violence.

My hope is that the federal government would take a more intelligent look at the issue of these mass shootings as stated in the last post. Banning things that people can hurt others with is a shallow response to a much deeper issue. It seems the fed is content to head down a path that would suggest that instead of dealing with issues in our society that are causing the problem, let's go ahead and allow the proliferation and expansion of unadjusted kids not prepared for the challenges of life that face them and instead attempt to limit the implements available to kill others

As parents, we need solid, data-based information that will allow us to better address raising our children. For example, when I was growing up, we didn't have this electronic world that one can hide inside, create a fiction persona and lead a life separate from this world. Not suggesting that this is the primary cause of issues, but just pointing out that the world has changed dramatically and we as parents need help understanding the impact of these changes. I think this is where federal dollars could be spent that would have a positive impact. Why not commission a group of experts to carefully study these and other issues facing parents and children and make recommendations for parents?

And, one parental style does not fit all. While our kids are being raised to believe in the teachings of the New Testament such as love your neighbor as yourself and that you should put others in need before yourself, for many, our Christian beliefs are simply a delusion of the weak minded. And, you know what, that's ok. This is why we need to have a careful, secular-based review of these incidents and other negative trends among children and provide parents the additional tools with which to improve our success rate with our children.
-Westin nerf bars
-Honda OEM hitch and wiring harness
-Roof rack
-Grillcraft MX Series black mesh grill (upper and lower)
-Steelcraft black bullbar
-TRUXX 2" lift kit

Other vehicles:
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd
2009 HD FLHX (103 ci)
2005 HD FXDL
2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
1994 Porsche 968 Cabriolet
1966 Chevy Chevelle SS (502ci BB)
msmith1965 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #12625
manida
ROC Rank: Junior
2007 RTL
Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
I mean, you look at the news, and a somebody gets drunk, jumps in their car, and kills themselves, their friends, their family members, or innocent bystanders...and it is it the fault of the person who poured gallons of beer down their gullet...?...nope, it's the bartender's fault, it's the breweries fault, or it's society's fault...for, you know, allowing bars to exist.

huh? So no one gets charged for vehicular homicide anymore?
manida is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #12626
B43
Banned
2006 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

So, let me get this straight.

- The US Society is FUBAR (messed up beyond all recognition)

- The US mental health system is in shambles (since Reagan gutted those programs in the '80s and put many sick people out on the streets to fend for themselves, all cloaked in the short-sighted fiscal conservatism for which Republicans are infamous)

- People are getting less civil, more maniacal, less respectful, more aggressive...

...and some still want assault weapons and unlimited ammo clips to be available to this screwed up society, and/or fill up our schools with more guns in teachers' desks.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I think the manufacturers will feel the heat to stop making such weapons and magazines, both from govt regs and from growing public opposition from responsible citizens. Cut the roots out at the mfg level.

Here's what responsible gun owners are doing. I'm just glad these 3 "Street Sweepers" are off the street, not to mention parts of a missile launcher:

http://news.yahoo.com/missile-launch...174331546.html

The firearms collected (at the Seattle Gun Buyback) included 348 pistols, 364 rifles and three so-called street sweepers, or shotguns that include a high capacity magazine capable of holding twelve 12-gauge shotgun shells.

Last edited by B43; 01-29-2013 at 01:36 PM.
B43 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #12627
B43
Banned
2006 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1965 View Post
It seems the fed is content to head down a path that would suggest that instead of dealing with issues in our society that are causing the problem, let's go ahead and allow the proliferation and expansion of unadjusted kids not prepared for the challenges of life that face them and instead attempt to limit the implements available to kill others
The First Lady can't even suggest eating better food without the nuts crying about the govt "telling them what to do."

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1965 View Post
As parents, we need solid, data-based information that will allow us to better address raising our children. ...I think this is where federal dollars could be spent that would have a positive impact. Why not commission a group of experts to carefully study these and other issues facing parents and children and make recommendations for parents?
Be careful, you're starting to sound like a high spending Liberal who wants more govt programs.

This is a great idea, though. Maybe you'd be willing to start the non-profit that puts this database together, and/or provides parenting advice, etc. etc. Though I'd venture to guess the resources are already out there if anyone is REALLY interested in changing the world.

My wife and I would do it, especially since she's run a non-profit in the past (in the mental health field, no less), but we are inherently not qualified to give parenting advice. Then again, maybe we'd be perfect for this, with the fresh perspective of looking in from the outside.

Last edited by B43; 01-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
B43 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #12628
Outfitter
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club
2008 RTL
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by B43 View Post
So, let me get this straight.

- The US Society is FUBAR (messed up beyond all recognition)

- The US mental health system is in shambles (since Reagan gutted those programs in the '80s and put many sick people out on the streets to fend for themselves, all cloaked in the short-sighted fiscal conservatism for which Republicans are infamous)

- People are getting less civil, more maniacal, less respectful, more aggressive...

...and some still want assault weapons and unlimited ammo clips to be available to this screwed up society, and/or fill up our schools with more guns in teachers' desks.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I think the manufacturers will feel the heat to stop making such weapons and magazines, both from govt regs and from growing public opposition from responsible citizens. Cut the roots out at the mfg level.

Here's what responsible gun owners are doing. I'm just glad these 3 "Street Sweepers" are off the street, not to mention parts of a missile launcher:

http://news.yahoo.com/missile-launch...174331546.html

The firearms collected (at the Seattle Gun Buyback) included 348 pistols, 364 rifles and three so-called street sweepers, or shotguns that include a high capacity magazine capable of holding twelve 12-gauge shotgun shells.
You do understand that gun sales have skyrocketed since the "Gun Control" talk started? According to information gathered a large amount of sales are also coming from 1st time buyers including females.

You do understand that the vast majority are "responsible" citizens concerned about their loss of the Second Admendment rights being infringed upon and are going through the required back ground checks?

You do understand that the round up of guns in Seattle most likely didn't come from criminals or mentally unstable individuals?

You do understand that the Senate, controlled by the Dems, does not have the votes needed to pass the bill currently?

Try learning the difference in what an "assault weapon" actually is (they are illegal already) instead of spewing incorrect "talking points" you have obviously picked up from the MSM and folks might take your debate more seriously.

FYI, The M1A isn't even on the list and its a larger caliber (.308) military type weapon, Mag feed, and way more "high powered" than an AR-15.

Your reasoning above (less civil etc) is exactly why I have a variety of firearms. If someone breaks my door down, I have a choice of actions. You can call the police and ask the intruder to wait in "time out" till the police arrive.

08 Nimbus Grey RTL w/Nav 6/25/08
06 Billet Silver RTL (5/23/05 -6/25/08.. RIP)
13 Pearl White CR-V, EX-L w/Nav 5/3/13
10 Urban Titanium CR-V, EX-L w/Nav 7/10-5/3/13..RIP)
Oh, and....2 ATV's, a lawnmower, a trimmer and 2 generators...all by Honda and if Honda made a chainsaw, I dang sure would buy one.
Outfitter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #12629
MoosePond
ROC Rank: 7k Comma Club
2007 *Former Ridgeline Owner
White / Beige

Question Re: Vote em out!

Since when does the Library of Congress make laws or regulations?

Law makes unlocking subsidized phones illegal without permission
As of Saturday, unlocking a subsidized cellphone purchased from a carrier without the approval of the carrier became a crime in the U.S. under a Library of Congress ruling that noted consumers still have a broad range of "unlocked phone options" open to them. In his notice, Librarian of Congress James Billington quoted one industry group in asserting that "locking cell phones is an essential part of the wireless industry’s dominant business model" because carriers need to keep subscribers in contracts in order to make back the massive subsidies they pay handset makers for smartphones.

http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2...ut-permission/

Life is too short to drive boring vehicles!
MoosePond is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #12630
Sparkland
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club
2008 *Former Ridgeline Owner
Dark Cherry Pearl

This is hilarious!! Mayor Bloomberg, I applaud your honest answer, but a simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed.

Journalist Accosted By Security Over Mayor Bloomberg Gun Control Question
http://www.khow.com/pages/boyles.html?article=10740487

Sparkland is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > ROC Member Central > The Ridge - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.