Changed all the fluids on my RL with 110k...my experience - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
     Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Go Back   Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

RidgelineOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Ridgeline Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Apex
ROC Rank: Sophomore
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Changed all the fluids on my RL with 110k...my experience

So I bought an 07 RTL with 109k on it. While the vehicle appears to be well maintained, I did not get the service records upon delivery. Because of this I though it will be best to catch up on some of the critical maintenance. The MM popped up 15% oil life and code A15. At this point I will be using the MM for oil changes but disregarding the other codes as I will be catching up with all the maintenance.

The coolant, brake and power steering fluids actually look pretty good so I will hold off on them for a while. I will do the coolant with the T-belt, around 120k.

So I changed the oil, ATF, transfer case fluid and VTM4. I also replaced the air filter and cabin air filter. I will change the spark plugs with the t-belt.

Oil- The oil looked dark and in need of replacement. I used Vavoline 5w20 and a new filter. No issues or surprises here. I did not replace the drain plug washer, but it does not leak.

ATF- This was dark and in need of replacement. I bought a case of DW1 and did the three step flush. Basically just drain and filled three times. Other than being time consuming this method worked great. I used a long funnel to get to the fill plug and it worked great. I would not recommend using the dipstick tube as it is too small in diameter.

Transfer Case- The fluid that I drained looked and smelled like brand new fluid. The plugs had no marks on them, and I suspect the fluid has never been changed. The vavoline I poured in looked darker than what came out. I suspect this fluid does not need to be changed. I used the squeeze bottle method, and it worked fine. Once the bottle is below 1/2 it can be a pain.

VTM4- There were marks on the plugs for the diff. The fluid I drained looked brand new, so it might have been done recently. I used about 3/4 of the gallon I bought and used a transfer pump from Harbor Freight. It worked great.

Both the cabin and air filters were dirty but not horrible, and they were both Honda.

So there you go, let me know if you have any questions or comments. I will be tackling the spark plugs next after around 10k miles. And then, the t-belt. Not sure if I will be DIY on that yet. We will see
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Re: Changed all the fluids on my RL with 110k...my experience

Good job Apex. Sounds like you covered your bases pretty well. Did you take a look at your transmission connections to the radiator? I'd do that right away and see how the corrosion looks. Plan to replace the radiator when you do the TB/WP, etc. It also would be a good idea to check your valve clearances too. And don't forget your serpentine belt and tensioners for both the serpentine belt and TB.

BTW, when you did your D&F, did you drive it in between to mix the fluid?

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
mike099
2007 RTX
Dark Cherry Pearl

Apex, since you have an 07 could you let us know if any of your sparkplugs are loose when replacing. Have been issues with #4 and/or #5, front passenger and middle front.

Thanks
mike099 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Apex
2007 RTL
Dark Cherry Pearl

Ha, Yes I drove in between ATF changes.

I will let you guys know on the spark plugs. What connections am I looking for, at the trans, or the radiator?

Also, when I do the T-belt should i just replace the pullies and tensioner or just check?
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
kevin_stevens
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club
2008 RTS
Nimbus Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Ha, Yes I drove in between ATF changes.

I will let you guys know on the spark plugs. What connections am I looking for, at the trans, or the radiator?

Also, when I do the T-belt should i just replace the pullies and tensioner or just check?
I would plan to replace them - most if not all seem to be leaking if not totally shot by that point.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Jimmyglendale
ROC Rank: Junior
2009 RT
Billet Silver Metallic

Send a message via ICQ to Jimmyglendale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
So I bought an 07 RTL with 109k on it. While the vehicle appears to be well maintained, I did not get the service records upon delivery. Because of this I though it will be best to catch up on some of the critical maintenance. The MM popped up 15% oil life and code A15. At this point I will be using the MM for oil changes but disregarding the other codes as I will be catching up with all the maintenance.

The coolant, brake and power steering fluids actually look pretty good so I will hold off on them for a while. I will do the coolant with the T-belt, around 120k.

So I changed the oil, ATF, transfer case fluid and VTM4. I also replaced the air filter and cabin air filter. I will change the spark plugs with the t-belt.

Oil- The oil looked dark and in need of replacement. I used Vavoline 5w20 and a new filter. No issues or surprises here. I did not replace the drain plug washer, but it does not leak.

ATF- This was dark and in need of replacement. I bought a case of DW1 and did the three step flush. Basically just drain and filled three times. Other than being time consuming this method worked great. I used a long funnel to get to the fill plug and it worked great. I would not recommend using the dipstick tube as it is too small in diameter.

Transfer Case- The fluid that I drained looked and smelled like brand new fluid. The plugs had no marks on them, and I suspect the fluid has never been changed. The vavoline I poured in looked darker than what came out. I suspect this fluid does not need to be changed. I used the squeeze bottle method, and it worked fine. Once the bottle is below 1/2 it can be a pain.

VTM4- There were marks on the plugs for the diff. The fluid I drained looked brand new, so it might have been done recently. I used about 3/4 of the gallon I bought and used a transfer pump from Harbor Freight. It worked great.

Both the cabin and air filters were dirty but not horrible, and they were both Honda.

So there you go, let me know if you have any questions or comments. I will be tackling the spark plugs next after around 10k miles. And then, the t-belt. Not sure if I will be DIY on that yet. We will see
where is the drain plug on the transmission? how much does it hold?
t yu

1947 ford coupe black/flamed crate motor 330 hosses

1964 Impala 2dr. hardtop 454 big block Air/bagged
Jimmyglendale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
speedlever
2008 RTS
Billet Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyglendale View Post
where is the drain plug on the transmission? how much does it hold?
t yu
Tranny drain plug on 2006-2008 is on the driver side of the tranny near the front, colored blue. For 2009 and up, it's on the passenger side front.

Here's a thread that shows the location for 2006-2008 models:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...ad.php?t=20628

A drain and fill will take ~ 3.5 quarts, +/-.

2006 Pilot EXL-RES in BSM
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous/General Honda Ridgeline Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.